Trojan:BAT/Simda.A

I have a friends computer that is running Windows 8.1.  I just did a FULL scan with Windows Defender. It found the trojan I listed in the title. At the end of the scan, there is a button to push that says CLEAN PC.  Well I click that. The scroll bar gets about 75% across and then stops. I have waited for an hour, and it never completes. At this point, I need to manually shut down the computer as it is locked.  I then started the computer in SAFE mode and ran a full scan again. Same results. It finds the trojan, but can't remove it. I then went on line and tried a free online scanner called  ESET. It found nothing. I then downloaded some Microsoft Scanning Tool. It found the same trojan. It said something about Quarantee, but I did not see an option to remove the trojan. I tried downloading that Housecall from Trend Micro, but it would not download. I have run Malwarebytes several times, it finds nothing. Now my problem is that when I just click on Windows Defender on the desktop, it opens to where it says it found the trojan. Again, pressing the box to remove the trojan just hangs after a while. Need help, please.  Mike  UPDATE.  Not sure what happened but now when I click on Windows Defender, it opens normally. So that is good. I did a QUICK scan and it found nothing. I do not want to do a FULL scan and lock up the computer again. 

Edited by mike13

Don't use Windows Defender daily, but my first step would be to find the file that was quarantined, and upload it to Jotti/Virustotal/anything comparable to check if the threat is real.

Thanks Mcinwwl,  for the reply.  That Microsoft Scanning Tool supposedly quarantined the trojan. I also saw somewhere that the trojan was PARTIALLY removed. Have no idea what that means.

This means that the file is quarantined - you should be able to un-quarantaine it and send to online scanner.

And I'd recommend to do so, because if you really had a trojan it somehow appeared on your PC, and might have downloaded other malware. This would require more complex cleaning.

If it would have turned out it was a false positive, then you can sleep well.

• 1 month later...