Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

Searching for Windows NT 4.0 Utilities

Posted (edited)

I am searching for an HDA Audio Driver for Windows NT 4.0. The original name is snapaudio-winnt-1.1.2.exe, but all web archive links are DEAD! I can't access the file!

Can someone help me search? I am going to use this driver on my virtual box system!

EDIT: NVM, I found this

http://web.archive.org/web/20070828212718/http://www.scitechsoft.com:80/ftp/snap/winnt/

Just a question since I posted: am I required to install service packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 before I install 6? I'm trying to install an image viewer, but I keep getting messages of missing DLL's...

New Question:
Where can I find proper NT 4.0 software? Old versions of Ifranview and Faststone viewer only lead to errors of missing files! I am in search of good Windows NT 4.0 software. Cannot help but admire this solid OS installs and loads instantly, in contrast to its 9x-cousin. It's sad a bunch of 9x programs won't work on it, just like how 9x programs can't run NT 4.0 programs most of the time...

I am looking for...
An image viewer
Media player or codecs (something that uses MP4)
Perhaps something to add a refresh button when I right click
A third-party hardware manager?
Task manager
Perhaps more?

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

Posted (edited)

Windows NT 4 service packs are cumulative. You can go from RTM to SP6a in one shot.

And VirtualBox guest additions were available for NT4, well at least eight years ago when I last virtualized it, which would negate the need for the SNAP driver. For reference there is also a SNAP video driver for NT4.

Edited by win32

15 hours ago, win32 said:

And VirtualBox guest additions were available for NT4, well at least eight years ago when I last virtualized it

And they are still available on the latest virtualbox releases ,but the flipping audio never worked for me with them

On 5/25/2019 at 7:02 PM, win32 said:

Windows NT 4 service packs are cumulative. You can go from RTM to SP6a in one shot.

And VirtualBox guest additions were available for NT4, well at least eight years ago when I last virtualized it, which would negate the need for the SNAP driver. For reference there is also a SNAP video driver for NT4.

I tried the one I found at the link of my first post, it said hardware wasn't supported???

Posted (edited)

The AC'97 emulated by VirtualBox may not use the HDA bus. In this case, try the Realtek driver:

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/REALTEK/Realtek-AC97-Audio-Codecs-NT-A404.shtml

Or you can use the emulated Sound Blaster 16 which should be the path of least resistance for older OSes.

Edited by win32