Can't hear Vista startup sound after installing Microsoft's High Definition Audio Driver but can hear sounds perfectly on desktop

Arutz Tele

Alright so I got a few problems....

So over my long weekend my younger sister decided to take out the headphones the rough way, and all of a sudden it got stuck. I had to uninstall the SmartAudio driver and use the High Definition Audio driver; set Speaker to default and Headphones disabled and the Speaker on my laptop works now.

However, on Windows startup, when the Vista orb animation appeared, I couldn't hear the sound. My volume's good, the "Play Windows startup sound" in Sound Preferences is checked and "Speaker" is the default. Is there anything I should change?

And also I can't hear the Windows error tones. It's set properly with the appropriate sound effects, with Speaker working, but I don't hear the Windows error tones. But on the Volume Mixer I could hear the Windows Ding just fine.

I set it to Windows Default 1,000,000 times. And yes, I've got iTunes installed on my computer. Either I might try changing the default audio player or uninstalling the program.

UPDATE: Uninstalled iTunes, Set the sound scheme to Windows Default 1,000 times. Still can't hear the error tones (but can still hear the Windows Logon sound).

And because of that stuck stupid headphone jack, I can't hear the Windows Logoff sound (even though it was set, shutdown or the Vista Orb Animation startup sound.

Edited by Arutz Tele

UPDATE: Did some headphone jack fiddling and removed Windows 8 dual-boot, can now mostly hear ThinkPad computer sounds, Windows startup sounds, logoff and shutdown sounds. Still gotta fix my error sounds even though I set it to "Windows Default" and uninstalled iTunes.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright close this, I removed Vista unfortunately and moved on to 7 with that Vista look to confuse myself and strangers. I do however look forward to reinstalling the real deal in the near future.