Office 2007 Compatibility Pack Updates?

Dave-H

OK, well forgetting about the Office Integrator, and assuming I have the right Compatibility Pack files already installed, and the necessary latest KernelEx files installed, which I'm pretty sure I have, what KernelEx modes do you recommend that I should try applying to which files in the Office12 folders? :dubbio:
As I keep saying, what puzzles me is why it should suddenly have stopped working when it was working before, when I haven't knowingly changed anything!
The only thing that might have changed is that the problem could have crept in when I last updated KernelEx to the latest version, but there's no way of knowing that for sure as I have no way of knowing when it stopped working as I don't use it often enough.
:)

On 6/13/2019 at 8:34 AM, deomsh said:

@Dave-H: Is NT2K in your list of [ApiConfigurations] in CORE.INI? FileformatConverter SP2 should work!

I suggest first to check CORE.INI, resides in the KernelEx folder.

No it isn't!
:dubbio:
NT2K is listed in the core.ini for version 4.5.2016.18 of KernelEx, but not in the core.ini for version 4.5.2016.20.
I wonder if that's the problem? It would bear out that it stopped working when I updated KernelEx!

Edited by Dave-H

@deomsh

Well, that was exactly what it was! :thumbup
I replaced core.ini from KernelEx 4.5.2016.20 with the one from KernelEx 4.5.2016.18, the Compatibility Pack works perfectly again!
I really must apologise to you for not following your suggestions before this.
It would probably have lead me straight to the cause of the problem!

@jumper

If you could follow this, it looks as if a change made in core.ini between KernelEx 4.5.2016.18 and 4.5.2016.20 has caused a problem with the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack, and therefore could presumably potentially cause problems with other programs.

Cheers, Dave.

With the older KernelEx core.ini file installed, and the excelcnv.exe file set to KernelEx "Windows NT 4.0 SP6" mode as you said, it does work most of the time, but is very prone to crashing and locking up the system. I suspect this is due to running out of resources on my system, which has always had a low resource problem on Windows 98, due I suspect to it being based on a server motherboard which was fundamentally not designed for Windows 98! It only runs at all because of rloew's patches.
The "Save As..." function in explorer is still not right, it still won't actually convert and doesn't offer doc as a save format.

@Dave-H: 

The Excel-conversion is sometimes sloppy. Set KernelEx Compatibility mode  "Windows NT 4.0 SP6" for EXCELCNVPXY.DLL too, may be helpfull.

About the SaveAs... in Explorer, it's not really needed unless you have to convert files without use of MSOffice. But I think setting KernelEx Compatibility mode "Windows 95" for MOC.EXE will help.

Both files are normally in the folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12"

Hi again, and sorry for the delay since my last post.
I'm now using the KernelEx 4.5.2016.20 core.ini file "as is" without any modifications, and have re-done all the KernelEx settings.
I have "Windows 2000 SP4" mode set on the following files -
Excelcnv.exe, Excelcnvpxy.dll, MOC.exe, and Wordconv.exe.
Office XP now displays .docx Word files fine, and .xlsx Excel files sometimes open, but sometimes crash and/or lock up the system.
I guess there's no hope for newer PowerPoint files. :no:
The "Save As..." Explorer dialogue on Word files is as before, doesn't offer saving as .doc.
Cheers, Dave.

@Dave-H

KernelEx Compatibility mode  "Windows NT 4.0 SP6" should be set for: EXCELCNV.EXE and can be helpfull with EXCELCNVPXY.DLL.

KernelEx Compatibility mode  "Windows 2000 SP4" should be set for: WORDCONV.EXE and MSO.DLL (both already set this way by Xeno86! MSO.DLL is in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12 "), and if needed for WORDCNVPXY.CNV and MSVCR80.DLL (MSVCR80.DLL is in "%Windir%\System")

KernelEx Compatibility mode  "Windows 95" can be tried for MOC.EXE  (the "Save As..." Explorer dialogue).

You can play a bit with some settings, but the settings for MSO.DLL and EXCELCNV.EXE are mandatory (as far as I tested).

Thanks again @deomsh!
I have done all those setting for KernelEx on all the files you mentioned.
It seems to be "Windows NT 4.0 SP6a" in the latest version of KernelEx, but I guess it's the same result.

I was still getting crashes when opening .xlsx files, and I discovered that ctfmon.exe was causing the problem.
Putting the "Windows 2000 SP4" KernelEx mode on that file cured that I'm glad to say!

Seems pretty much OK now, apart from the "SaveAs..." option in Explorer not offering to save as a .doc file.
Did it ever actually do this? I'm starting to wonder now if it was only ever designed to save files as .docx or .docm.
Perhaps that's the only way it does convert, .doc to .docx, not the other way, .docx to .doc.
It still offers to save using the DOS filename too, but I guess that's probably nothing to worry about.

I was hoping that @jumper would erm, "jump" in here to comment on the KernelEx side of this, but I think he may be away as he hasn't posted anywhere for a while I don't think.
Cheers, Dave.

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Did it ever actually do this? I'm starting to wonder now if it was only ever designed to save files as .docx or .docm.
Perhaps that's the only way it does convert, .doc to .docx, not the other way, .docx to .doc.

I am almost sure its possible :lol:

855188164_Fileformatconverter1.jpg.ca532e67b3daa18dfa9591bf067d6d23.jpg1979781764_Fileformatconverter2.jpg.45fe83595f16b0acc04fe6143fc02c17.jpg

With latest KernelEx version I had to set MOC.EXE in "Windows 95" compat mode. Without there wasn´t even a Save As Dialog box.

With original Kernelex it worked out-of-the-box, only the NT4-trick I found out, was needed for conversion of Excel-files.

BTW: better disable CTFMON.EXE if not needed, see:

https://web.archive.org/web/20031001031315/http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q282599

Thanks again.
Yes, I will probably disable ctfmon.exe as I don't need it and it's using precious resources!
Good to see that you should be able to save as a .doc file using the Explorer interface, I will have to investigate further as to why I'm not being offered it.
I'm sure on my system the dialogue box did still appear with the default KernelEx mode on MOC.EXE.
I will probably never use it, but it annoys me when something that should work doesn't and I don't know why!

Hmm, this is all coming back to me!
I went to try and get rid of ctfmon.exe, and found that in the Office XP setup, "Alternative User Input" wasn't installed in the first place, and I'm pretty certain that it never has been, as it's not something I would ever need.
So it's showing as unavailable already, but ctfmon.exe is still there and running!
I seem to remember trying to get rid of it when I had Office XP installed on Windows XP, and I never managed to get rid of it then!
Is it something to do with search that it's also needed for, or am I mis-remembering?
Was it installed with the Compatibility Pack?
I need to do some more research!
:yes:

Edited by Dave-H

@Dave-H

I am absolutely sure CTFMON.EXE is NOT installed with the Compatibility Pack.

About Save As doc-file: it´s not clear to me what happening.

On my system I see following dialog after clicking SaveAs... in the Context Menu of a docx-file:

1453324703_Fileformatconverter3.jpg.20d9d2463cfc2b7847df9c8d96b315cd.jpg

Please describe your problem a bit more in detail.

Well I finally killed ctfmon.exe using a utility I found here.
It doesn't actually remove it, it deactivates it by substituting a dummy version.
Seems to do the job anyway, it no longer shows as running!

This is what I'm seeing when I use the explorer interface on a .docx file.
As you can see, there is no option to save as a .doc.
Also note that it's offering to save as the DOS filename, not the long filename.
Very strange, as yours obviously works fine!

Image1.thumb.jpg.4fc2875518d1b98078e5f00531495b72.jpg

:dubbio: