Office 2007 Compatibility Pack Updates?

Dave-H

Thanks!
I wasn't aware of that.
However, it seems to be a slipstreamer just for an install of Office XP SP3, not for the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack add-on, unless I'm misunderstanding things.
:dubbio:

Office Integrator.

Config 2 tab.

Using this function you can create a single MSI and registry file from the ORIGINAL Office viewers or Compatibility Pack setups and all the updates (Service Packs and Hotfixes). It is basically a cut down version of the Main Tab. The created registry file will have the update info required to keep MU happy and will be imported by the installer.

Edited by actinium

Answer, no it doesn't!
:no:
I couldn't get it to even run using any KernelEx mode.
:(
@actinium
Is there any other possible answer to this "pre-release version" problem?
I don't understand why it's suddenly failed when it was working fine when I first installed it.
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H

@Dave-H: did you check all needed Kernelex compatibility modes?

Check if the following files run still in Kernelex "Windows 2000 sp4" mode: Mso.dll and Wordconv.exe; if there are problems with "save as docx" from inside Word set Wordcnvpxy.cnv in "Windows 2000 sp4" compatibility mode, probably Msvcr80.dll too.

Opening xlsx-files in Excel XP is possible with the following workaround: run Excelcnv.exe in Kernelex "Windows NT 4.0 sp6" compatibility mode. Xlsx-files opens now in Excel, if Office XP is not fully updated xlsx-files will open as xxxxxxxx.xls.

The Office Integrator executable wouldn't run in any KernelEx mode.
There were no error messages, just nothing appeared to happen when I ran it.
If I disabled KernelEx completely, then I got a message saying that it needed a later version of Windows.
I will try adjusting the KernelEx mode on the converter pack files, but it didn't need that before, it was working fine, at least to read Word docx files.
As I said, it's not putting up any actual file error messages when it's invoked now, it's just saying it's a "pre-release version" and can't open any files!
:(

Well I am using the latest KernelEx files, but I'm not at all sure that this is the answer to the issue anyway.
Doing some more research, there are plenty of reports about that error message from the Compatibility Pack, on later operating systems, Windows 2000, XP, and Vista.
The answer seems to be just to to uninstall it and install the latest version.
The version I have installed on Windows 98SE is actually SP2 it appears.
SP3 won't install as it needs version 3.1 of the Windows Installer, which doesn't work on Windows 98, so I don't know if I can update it.
What I still don't understand is that it worked for ages, at least to read Word docx files, and now it doesn't any more, without me knowingly having changed anything!
I'm tempted to try and install the very original version of the Compatibility Pack, before even SP1, but I don't know if it's available anywhere.
I will try searching for it. If I find it, I will completely uninstall the pack, install the base version, and if that works I will try to install SP1 to see if that works.
:)

FileformatConverter SP2 is working, it's what I've got installed!

It's SP3 I can't install, at least not normally, because it says it needs at least Windows Installer 3.1.

@Dave-H: you are addressing different issues (in my opinion).

So FileformatConverter SP2 is working: in that case you can convert DOC to DOCX and back choosing SaveAs... after a right-click on a DOC/ DOCX file in Explorer. Is this the case?

BTW: don't use MSOffice in this test.

The "Save As..." option is there, but whether you use it on a doc file or a docx file, the only save options are docx or docm, not doc. So you can't save a docx file as a doc file.
When you try to save, a message pops up "The converter could not convert the file" or words to that effect.
It only offers saving as an eight character name too, but I guess that's because the Compatibility Pack is fundamentally not compatible with Windows 98!
I'm not that concerned about that side of things, all I really want it to do is to open docx Word files in Office XP, something it used to do, but now doesn't.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

I'm not that concerned about that side of things, all I really want it to do is to open docx Word files in Office XP, something it used to do, but now doesn't

I understand, but you should be. What you described means the Compatibility Pack isn't working anymore. So the Compatibility Pack will not serve converting DOCX with Office XP either.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

It only offers saving as an eight character name too, but I guess that's because the Compatibility Pack is fundamentally not compatible with Windows 98!

With KernelEx and the right Kex compatibility modes/ right files, FileformatConverter IS compatible with Windows 98se for converting Office 2007 Word/ Excel files in combination with Office XP.