Windows 2000 on H61

WinFX

Hello, with this topic I want to install Windows 2000 completely on a H61 chispet with their respective drivers.

I managed to install Windows 2000 using a USB keyboard with the PS2 adapter, since USB on H61 does not work on Windows 2000.

I managed to get to the desktop but I see two drivers that are called "USB 2.0 Root Hub" that had an exclamation symbol as if it were not installed correctly.

I managed to install the spark, network and screen drivers thanks to an unofficial BWC driver but the sound does not work, I have KB888111 installed and the 14c extended core, I do not get exclamation marks but nothing is heard.

Anyone know how to solve the problem of the USB 2.0 Root Hub in Windows 2000 in modern hardware?

Edited by Win2000Fan

You will have to install the USB drivers manually. Try ones other than those the OS has chosen by default, which the "update driver wizard" will show when clicking on the problem devices.

What is your onboard audio? Realtek audio should work on vanilla win2k.

Edited by win32

Try with others that come in the system and no result, still follows the exclamation mark. It is the error code 31 if you want to know.

It is highly probable that the needed USB drivers are there on your machine.  The process of getting to them is roundabout and can be very frustrating.  It is not merely a matter of trying one driver after another; there is a number of subset drivers needed, and a sequence involved in getting there.  That sequence will vary with the hardware, right down to the particular mouse you're using.

The first step definitely involves force; on newer hardware I have been starting with "Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller."  If you're fortunate, from there Windows Update will install the others (Generic USB Hub, USB 2.0 Root Hub, etc.).  Sometimes, instead, W2K Pro will try to take you back to its originally chosen (non-working) drivers, and run you around in circles.

I have been through this on Z77, Z87, Z97 and X99 motherboards, and always succeeded in the end, but you may want to buy a cheap wig so you don't end up pulling your own hair out.

At last I managed to solve the USB problem:thumbup

But the sound does not work, it is the VIA VT1708S and I have installed KB888111 but nothing is heard and the driver works correctly:boring:.

I installed Windows 7 and Windows 10 on the same PC, and when installing the VIA driver it detects that I am using headphones and nothing is heard and I go to the sound configuration and change it through speakers and if it is heard! I do not know what happens if I try windows xp:dubbio:

I forgot to say that when Windows 2000 starts I get several lines that say something about Disk Error i/o 00003101

That is strange.

Is the Windows Audio service enabled?

Are there any resource/IRQ conflicts with the onboard audio? (latter is unlikely post-9x and especially with other drivers installed)

I do not have the windows audio service in the list of services !!! Must it be only in windows xp or higher?

It can become the IRQ, but I did not see any BSOD and I do not have a resource tab in the drivers related to sound

sorry about that. It was added in XP.

I did recently note that in another thread that the Thinkpad T/R60 soundmax HD audio driver installer has an issue in which it will not detect the HD audio bus driver (KB888111) if the hotfix is installed after USP5.1. I also couldn't install the audio drivers manually, so it appears to be an issue at the OS level which may affect other HDA drivers

The workarounds are to:

-slipstream KB888111 into your installation media

-install KB888111 before installing USP 5.1

Edited by win32

The thing is that USP 5.1, whilst being built like a real Windows 2000 service pack, was not officially supported by MS. KB888111 predates USP 5.1 but is not included in it so it's considered superseded by the USP according to its QFE (which it's not) and doesn't install properly. The MS equivalent to the USP, SP4 UR1 (which is problematic in its own ways) should not have these issues due to it not being equivalent to a full SP.

You could also use the HFSLIP FullPack (beware of nLite driver integration-related issues), which doesn't involve USP 5.1 and includes KB888111

Finally, once and for all, it worked! Use HFSLIP with KB888111 and now I have sound

Case closed:worship:

Edited by Win2000Fan