Video Capture Software for Windows 98?

I find it interesting how difficult it appears to come by a proper video capturing software on the internet. I would've figured there would've been plenty during the lifespan of 9x...

I've been looking for a screen recorder for Windows 9x for years, if anyone knows of one, then please inform me!
Thank you!

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

15 hours ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

I'm looking for something free...thanks anyway!

Registered version has some advanced features that aren't essential. Other than that, it's completely free, doesn't expire and has no nag screen. ;)

I'm so confused.  What are you trying to capture video from a webcam?  Or from like a TV card or frame grabber?

Free There is windows media encoder 7.1 "wmencoder71.exe" http://www.mediafire.com/file/v1x8y98cshp236j/wmencoder71.exe/file

Free Windows Media Tools 4.1 "wmtools.exe" http://www.mediafire.com/file/chc4wag44byd658/wmtools

Not Free Nero Vision Express 6  it basically was free and came free for billions of people if they bought a CD/DVD burner as bundle ware.  It is basically free.

For video recording it require device that has direct show drivers for 9x

Edited by Destro

• 11 months later...

Sorry for the bump, but I came from Google Search, and...

On 5/10/2019 at 7:54 PM, loblo said:

This requires a .DLL that doesn't run on Windows 98. I also tried version 2.23.02 og HyperCam, and it didn't run either. I'm really hoping for a non-KernelEx solution as I've never gotten that working in the past.

EDIT: Even more sorry for the bump because I now realize that CamStudio, specifically version 2.0 (not 2.7) works fine, and this was mentioned above.

Edited by IoI_xD

The latest version of virtualdub (certainly works on win98) has a screen capture utility.

I can get a good frame rate going at decent quality with that utility and the Lagarith lossless codec, though I use a version that seems to support a minimum of XP (2000 exkernel). I'm sure that an earlier version works with 98, as the inf is signed "$CHICAGO$".

9 hours ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

I found that camstudio works. Unfortunately, it seems my Windows 9x PC is just too weak to record the screen at a proper framerate though.

Try the stock VfW codecs that come with Windows.

To add another program, i've been using iuvcr for both watching and recording TV shows from my tuner card.

you can try hypercam 2.13.01, it works on windows 95 and should also work on windows 98. i noticed people mentioning camstudio 2.0 ( i have yet to test this on windows 9x ), however, one would think hypercam 2.13.01 may be better as it was released in May 20, 2006, where as camstudio 2.0 has a release history of April 6, 2004. one would have to look at change logs and see what exact differences are with each other and / or simply test them both. i don't like keeping two of the same programs usually, even if they are relatively small in size, unless there is something camstudio 2.0 can do better or functions better in some ways that hypercam 2.13.01 doesn't, then i'd rather just use hypercam 2.13.01 if it can do everything camstudio 2.0 can, however, after checking camstudio 2.0 really quick right now, i've decided to keep it too. 

11 hours ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

I found that camstudio works. Unfortunately, it seems my Windows 9x PC is just too weak to record the screen at a proper framerate though.

do you know what cpu and / or gpu / ram amount your using for camstudio 2.0? it would help to know, because i'm planning on removing hypercam 2.13.01 and replacing it with camstudio 2.0 for windows 95, 98SE, and NT4, because it seems that hypercam 2.13.01 ( being free, but unregistered ) shows a watermark for recorded videos, but camstudio 2.0 doesn't? although i have not confirmed if camstudio 2.0 does this or not, but hypercam 2.13.01 i believe does, as it mentioned it would show a watermark. though the focus on this thread was for windows 98, i'd like to add that hypercam 2.29 worldwide free version may or may not have the watermark issue ( it didn't give me the message after installing it ), and it should work on windows 2000 and newer, but probably will not install on non kernelex 98SE or older OS. i have only tested it on windows 7 briefly just to install it.