Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Mathwiz

Force "multiprocess mode" in FF 52

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2019 at 9:36 AM, VistaLover said:

Config Descriptions v1.0.1-signed.1-signed is installed, so that about:config "Source Comments" are made visible...

I tried in Serpent 52 2020-7-31 and multi-process works. (I set browser.tabs.remote.force-enable;true according to the guide, and disabled "Use hardware acceleration when available" because if not, there is often blank page covering screen.)

But Config Descriptions does not show anything in "Source comment" column (the column is added). I installed it from https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/firefox/

Edited by luweitest
add detailed information about working config

15 hours ago, luweitest said:
On 5/9/2019 at 4:36 AM, VistaLover said:

Config Descriptions v1.0.1-signed.1-signed is installed, so that about:config "Source Comments" are made visible...

I tried in Serpent 52 2020-7-31 and ...
(redacted for brevity)
But Config Descriptions does not show anything in "Source comment" column (the column is added).

... You assumed things ;) and that's why it didn't work in the end as you had thought it would... :no:
My mention of that extension in my post (of more than a year ago) was only inside the context of Mozilla Firefox...
The original Config Descriptions v1.0.1-signed.1-signed legacy extension DOES NOT support Serpent 52.9.0 (or official Basilisk, or Pale/New Moon for that matter...)

Serpent 52.9.0 != FirefoxESR 52

Good News:
1. You can patch the extension yourself, so that it works in Serpent 52.9.0; in file bootstrap.js change L223-L224:

-        "resource:///defaults/" + prefsDir + "firefox.js",
-        "resource:///defaults/" + prefsDir + "firefox-branding.js",
+        "resource:///defaults/" + prefsDir + "basilisk.js",
+        "resource:///defaults/" + prefsDir + "basilisk-branding.js",  

While you're at it, you can also remove the META-INF directory, as Serpent does not observe extension signing... Proof:

GUlLb9d.jpg

2. The old Firefox extension has been ported to both Pale/New Moon + Basilisk/Serpent; just install from:

https://addons.basilisk-browser.org/addon/config-comments/

... A strong word of caution while you are toying with e10s in Serpent 52.9.0: what little supporting code is left there is very rudimentary/fragile/unreliable at best :( ; please back-up your Serpent profile, especially your sessionstore, prior to starting these experiments! Use a secondary/temporary profile for testing!
I speak from BAD experience myself :}; once you decide e10s isn't good enough for you or (my case) one of your most valued legacy extensions breaks under e10s and you, thus, have to return to single-process, it's highly probable your profile has been borked beyond repair :( (I had to begin from scratch, took me many hours to resume my original profile... I hadn't backed-up :}; you really should ). MCP applications (and forks) have been developed as single-process, and that's it... :whistle: 

@VistaLoverThank you for the direction! I edited bootstrap.js and now it shows "source comments". As now I see the contents of the file, I noticed there are also commented lines related to Thunderbird,  like

"resource:///defaults/" + prefsDir + "all-thunderbird.js",

"resource:///defaults/" + prefsDir + "thunderbird-branding.js",

"resource:///defaults/" + prefsDir + "mailnews.js",

So I un-commented them, added below lines to install.rdf so it could be installed in TB:

<Description>
                    <!-- Thunderbird -->
                <em:id>{3550f703-e582-4d05-9a08-453d09bdfdc6}</em:id>
                <em:minVersion>52.0</em:minVersion>
                <em:maxVersion>53.*</em:maxVersion>
            </Description>

But TB's about:config does not show "source comments" column at all. Could that be fixed too?

And thanks for the warning. I have backed up my profile. A week has passed without any error -- I will change dom.ipc.processCount to 2 and see.

ps. https://addons.basilisk-browser.org/addon/config-comments/  could not be opened (Error 520).

https://addons.basilisk-browser.org/addon/config-comments/ opened today, but the addon on the page do not work; Continue using the modified version.

Find a compatibility issue: With "hardware acceleration" turned off,  Cleartype tuning do not work on bugzilla.mozilla.org. When viewing an arbitrary bug article, the text first displays Cleartype tuned, then reverted to un-tuned after 2~3 seconds. I have to use Cleartype tuning because my LCD display is not sharp enough. As this is the only site till now that has the problem, I'll leave it.