Last post visited not being remembered?

Dave-H

@xper

As you have presumably been working on the forum software recently, hence the issue with the flags, I just thought I'd ask about something else that I've been meaning to mention for a long time, .

For many years, when you clicked on a thread title in the forum lists, it would automatically take you to the last post you viewed, even if that was some time ago.
Suddenly a while ago, I noticed that this no longer happens, and I am always being taken to the first post in the thread instead, which is quite annoying!
I assume this is a cookies-related thing.
I've got used to clicking on the last page number on multi-page threads, which helps of course, but it would be a lot better if the original behaviour could be restored.
Thanks, Dave.
:)

Ah right.
In that case it looks like it isn't being stored anywhere at the moment!
Are you seeing the same behaviour, just to make sure it's not just me?

Right, should've said that it's supposed to be stored on the server. Actually, I think it still is, but I guess some of the old data was lost. At least in this very thread, I see the "New content begins here" marker, while it's absent if I view any of the old threads I've visited before, but have new posts added since.

Edit: Or instead of some data being actually lost, could just not be interpreted by the updated forum software. :dubbio:

Edited by UCyborg

Yes, the "New content begins here" marker is very useful when you click on the last page number, but it would be better still if it did what it did before, where you just had to click on the thread title and it would automatically take you to the last post that you looked at in that thread, not to the very first post in the thread, which on some threads is ancient of course!
I suspect that you're right, that the necessary data is still being stored, but the forum software is not now using it for some reason.

For me, the past behavior is the same as the current behavior. That is that clicking on the thread title takes you to the first post. [The thread title will be bold if there are posts you haven't read.] Hovering over the thread title allows you to see at least part of the first or last post in the thread, you can choose. If there are posts you haven't read, there will be a "quote balloon" marker to the left of the thread title, which will be filled in if you have participated in the thread and open if you haven't. Clicking that marker will take you to the first post that you have not read, with the "New content begins here" marker directly above that.

That is the behavior I see when going through the various forum index pages. The look is a little different when using the Activity or Unread Content pages, it also includes avatars of the posters, but the effect is the same.

At least the above is what I see using Win 7 and a Chrome variant browser. I don't know if that helps you or not. :)

Cheers and Regards

Disregard my previous post.

47 minutes ago, bphlpt said:

If there are posts you haven't read, there will be a "quote balloon" marker to the left of the thread title, which will be filled in if you have participated in the thread and open if you haven't.

Yup, that's it. Works as intended. When you think about it, it would be silly if clicking thread title would take you to the last post instead of that being separate action.

54 minutes ago, bphlpt said:

For me, the past behavior is the same as the current behavior. That is that clicking on the thread title takes you to the first post. [The thread title will be bold if there are posts you haven't read.] Hovering over the thread title allows you to see at least part of the first or last post in the thread, you can choose. If there are posts you haven't read, there will be a "quote balloon" marker to the left of the thread title, which will be filled in if you have participated in the thread and open if you haven't. Clicking that marker will take you to the first post that you have not read, with the "New content begins here" marker directly above that.

That is the behavior I see when going through the various forum index pages. The look is a little different when using the Activity or Unread Content pages, it also includes avatars of the posters, but the effect is the same.

At least the above is what I see using Win 7 and a Chrome variant browser. I don't know if that helps you or not. :)

Cheers and Regards

Thanks, that is the behaviour I'm seeing now too, but I'm sure it didn't used to be like that.
Most other forums I use seem to remember where I last looked at threads when I go back to them, and automatically go back to that point when I re-visit the threads.
It would be a lot better IMO if this forum did the same again!
:yes:

• 2 weeks later...