Firefox glitch breaks browser add ons

Tommy

1 minute ago, Radish said:

Seems that updating to Firefox 66.0.4 might not instantly cure the problems with addons for everyone - manual intervention might be necessary. Details are in the now published Release Notes here (follow the links): https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/66.0.4/releasenotes/

I would think it won't run on XP SP3. I couldn't actually find system requirements for 60.6.2esr but did find for 60.6.1esr Windows 7 or higher seems to be the minimum requirement for that: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/60.6.1/system-requirements/

Damn apart from what I am using 52.9.0 i have a 52.9.1 installer, but doubt if there is hardly any difference

right I went here https://storage.googleapis.com/moz-fx-normandy-prod-addons/extensions/hotfix-update-xpi-intermediate%40mozilla.com-1.0.2-signed.xpi

install this addon

then with extraced info from it into a notepad/text editor (copy paste ALL)

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

MIIHLTCCBRWgAwIBAgIDEAAIMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBDAUAMH0xCzAJBgNVBAYTAlVT MRwwGgYDVQQKExNNb3ppbGxhIENvcnBvcmF0aW9uMS8wLQYDVQQLEyZNb3ppbGxh IEFNTyBQcm9kdWN0aW9uIFNpZ25pbmcgU2VydmljZTEfMB0GA1UEAxMWcm9vdC1j YS1wcm9kdWN0aW9uLWFtbzAeFw0xNTA0MDQwMDAwMDBaFw0yNTA0MDQwMDAwMDBa MIGnMQswCQYDVQQGEwJVUzEcMBoGA1UEChMTTW96aWxsYSBDb3Jwb3JhdGlvbjEv MC0GA1UECxMmTW96aWxsYSBBTU8gUHJvZHVjdGlvbiBTaWduaW5nIFNlcnZpY2Ux JjAkBgNVBAMTHXNpZ25pbmdjYTEuYWRkb25zLm1vemlsbGEub3JnMSEwHwYJKoZI hvcNAQkBFhJmb3hzZWNAbW96aWxsYS5jb20wggIiMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4IC DwAwggIKAoICAQC/qluiiI+wO6qGA4vH7cHvWvXpdju9JnvbwnrbYmxhtUpfS68L bdjGGtv7RP6F1XhHT4MU3v4GuMulH0E4Wfalm8evsb3tBJRMJPICJX5UCLi6VJ6J 2vipXSWBf8xbcOB+PY5Kk6L+EZiWaepiM23CdaZjNOJCAB6wFHlGe+zUk87whpLa 7GrtrHjTb8u9TSS+mwjhvgfP8ILZrWhzb5H/ybgmD7jYaJGIDY/WDmq1gVe03fSh xD09Ml1P7H38o5kbFLnbbqpqC6n8SfUI31MiJAXAN2e6rAOM8EmocAY0EC5KUooX KRsYvHzhwwHkwIbbe6QpTUlIqvw1MPlQPs7Zu/MBnVmyGTSqJxtYoklr0MaEXnJN Y3g3FDf1R0Opp2/BEY9Vh3Fc9Pq6qWIhGoMyWdueoSYa+GURqDbsuYnk7ZkysxK+ yRoFJu4x3TUBmMKM14jQKLgxvuIzWVn6qg6cw7ye/DYNufc+DSPSTSakSsWJ9IPx iAU7xJ+GCMzaZ10Y3VGOybGLuPxDlSd6KALAoMcl9ghB2mvfB0N3wv6uWnbKuxih q/qDps+FjliNvr7C66mIVH+9rkyHIy6GgIUlwr7E88Qqw+SQeNeph6NIY85PL4p0 Y8KivKP4J928tpp18wLuHNbIG+YaUk5WUDZ6/2621pi19UZQ8iiHxN/XKQIDAQAB o4IBiTCCAYUwDAYDVR0TBAUwAwEB/zAOBgNVHQ8BAf8EBAMCAQYwFgYDVR0lAQH/ BAwwCgYIKwYBBQUHAwMwHQYDVR0OBBYEFBY++xz/DCuT+JsV1y2jwuZ4YdztMIGo BgNVHSMEgaAwgZ2AFLO86lh0q+FueCqyq5wjHqhjLJe3oYGBpH8wfTELMAkGA1UE BhMCVVMxHDAaBgNVBAoTE01vemlsbGEgQ29ycG9yYXRpb24xLzAtBgNVBAsTJk1v emlsbGEgQU1PIFByb2R1Y3Rpb24gU2lnbmluZyBTZXJ2aWNlMR8wHQYDVQQDExZy b290LWNhLXByb2R1Y3Rpb24tYW1vggEBMDMGCWCGSAGG+EIBBAQmFiRodHRwOi8v YWRkb25zLm1vemlsbGEub3JnL2NhL2NybC5wZW0wTgYDVR0eBEcwRaFDMCCCHi5j b250ZW50LXNpZ25hdHVyZS5tb3ppbGxhLm9yZzAfgh1jb250ZW50LXNpZ25hdHVy ZS5tb3ppbGxhLm9yZzANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQwFAAOCAgEAX1PNli/zErw3tK3S9Bv8 03RV4tHkrMa5xztxzlWja0VAUJKEQx7f1yM8vmcQJ9g5RE8WFc43IePwzbAoum5F 4BTM7tqM//+e476F1YUgB7SnkDTVpBOnV5vRLz1Si4iJ/U0HUvMUvNJEweXvKg/D NbXuCreSvTEAawmRIxqNYoaigQD8x4hCzGcVtIi5Xk2aMCJW2K/6JqkN50pnLBNk Px6FeiYMJCP8z0FIz3fv53FHgu3oeDhi2u3VdONjK3aaFWTlKNiGeDU0/lr0suWf QLsNyphTMbYKyTqQYHxXYJno9PuNi7e1903PvM47fKB5bFmSLyzB1hB1YIVLj0/Y qD4nz3lADDB91gMBB7vR2h5bRjFqLOxuOutNNcNRnv7UPqtVCtLF2jVb4/AmdJU7 8jpfDs+BgY/t2bnGBVFBuwqS2Kult/2kth4YMrL5DrURIM8oXWVQRBKxzr843yDm Ho8+2rqxLnZcmWoe8yQ41srZ4IB+V3w2TIAd4gxZAB0Xa6KfnR4D8RgE5sgmgQoK 7Y/hdvd9Ahu0WEZI8Eg+mDeCeojWcyjF+dt6c2oERiTmFTIFUoojEjJwLyIqHKt+ eApEYpF7imaWcumFN1jR+iUjE4ZSUoVxGtZ/Jdnkf8VVQMhiBA+i7r5PsfrHq+lq TTGOg+GzYx7OmoeJAT0zo4c=

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

save as fix.pem

the goto Tools/option/advanced/certificates

Import fix.pem

tick all boxes and accept warning accept

restart FF and you can now add your addons again and SHOULD stick

this does the similar thing to normandy and new features

the cert is valid to April 2025

the certs are in your profile folder in a file named cert8 and link/ties with the key3 file

Gurantee this works I have closed/opened FF at least 1/2 dozen times and the addons/pulugins/extentions sticks

And you can install addons from them mozilla store aswell

hope this helps

Edited by DrWho3000

On 5/4/2019 at 1:58 AM, Tommy said:

I tried that too, doesn't work. Apparently it has something to do with signatures of some sort. I'm surprised though that even older Firefox versions are affected this way.

Weird. It worked for me. Only 2 of my Addons were affected, Adblock Plus and Classic Theme Restorer.  It may vary depending upon the Addon(s) or versions of said Addon(s) in use? :wacko:

On 5/4/2019 at 7:36 PM, Dave-H said:

It seems to be fixed now.
A certificate had expired apparently, which presumably nobody at Mozilla had anticipated!
I didn't have the problem with FF 52.9.1 ESR on Windows XP, but I did have it on FF 66.0.3 on Windows 10.
It was very annoying while it lasted!
:yes:

Mine is still botched.  Except that I don't have 52.9.1... I have 52.9.0.  Is this the reason and why was I not updated?

18 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks.
My FF 52.9.1 ESR's add-ons are working fine, but still have the verification warnings on most of them on the add-ons page list.
I'll wait awhile to see if this corrects itself automatically, as there seems to be no actual loss of functionality.
:)

The saddest thing is I'm only running two extensions,  UBlock and Disconnect, and it's nearly impossible to surf without them.

I Got hit on 52.9.0 & 52.6.0 doing the change cert to false from true and -1 to 2 worked, what I posted a few posts up is more permanent to 2020 and DOES actually work, its a certificate update

I wonder IF it;s a possibilty to get lastest FF (which is been fixed) install open with 7zip and extrat the cert8 file and use that in older browsers ??

Edited by DrWho3000

5 hours ago, Andy Sethmaier said:

Mine is still botched.  Except that I don't have 52.9.1... I have 52.9.0.  Is this the reason and why was I not updated?

52.9.1 needs to be downloaded and installed manually, there's a thread about it here.
It's only available in US English, but that's fine for you!

I fixed my add-ons signing problem by manually installing the new certificate using the information I was given here.
It's a bit fiddly, but it did work!
You will need to enable running commands in the browser console by setting "devtools.chrome.enabled" to "true" in the configuration editor.
You also need to reset the "app.update.lastUpdateTime.xpi-signature-verification" entry after installing the new certificate for an immediate fix!

I don't use a whole lot of extensions, only five. Of those, all but one were disabled, the one that was still usable was Nimbus screen capture extension. I had updated to the current Firefox v66.0.4 (32-bit), also remembered to undo the Data Collection and "Studies" options I had enabled earlier.

I was just stepping through my Options settings after the install of 66.0.4 and noticed that 66.0.4 had in the 'General' settings enabled the setting "Automatically install updates (recommended)". I never ever allow Firefox to do that, I only ever use the setting "Check for updates but let you choose to install them". So 66.0.4 must have reset that setting to the Mozilla default on install.

Same thing happened in my Firefox Portable (PortableApps) 66.0.4

So if you don't want Firefox automatically installing updates best go check that setting and put it back to your own preference if it was altered.

26 minutes ago, Radish said:

66.0.4 had in the 'General' settings enabled the setting "Automatically install updates (recommended)". I never ever allow Firefox to do that, I only ever use the setting "Check for updates but let you choose to install them"

You got me worried, so I had to check on mine, and mine was still set for "let you choose to install them"

Things I noticed get reverted:
- Sponsored stories for Pocket enabled, although showing Pocket stories on Home page was still disabled.
- Do not track was changed to "only known trackers" rather than all sites... I might leave this since "do not track" breaks embedding from many websites.
- Location permissions disabled the "block all sites" option (aka doesn't block all sites, only ones in the list already)

My updating setting stayed the same over the update as well.
I'm not sure about the other settings as I couldn't tell you what they were set to originally!

Since doing the nessecary cert update and other things to get extentions working, now when I restart FF, I have 2-3 addons that keeps wanting to ask permissison to install, yet before this it Never asked, how can I get round this so they stick  permenant and don't keep asking too

Should I change  the extenrion.json file back from read only what I set it to,

Edited by DrWho3000