Vista Update Installer

I have a VBS script, if anyone is interested, that does all the XP, Vista, and 7 Windows Updates including Net Frameworks, and does all "CAB, EXE, MSU, and MSP files. It also detects which ones have already been installed and ignores them. .and it works in XP, Vista, and 7. It has functions for searching subfolders as well. Very efficient. I'm not sure if anyone has posted this anywhere or not, but I feel its a better installer than the installer available on MEGA. I found it in a forum a year ago or so and I use it for all the Windows Server 2008 updates that work on Vista both x86 & x64, all versions. I am more than willing to share this. You will not require WSUS Offline Update as long as you know what updates you need and have already downloaded them into a folder. Since that MEGA account has been kind enough to supply these updates for Vista users everywhere, I feel strongly that this script should replace that existing one thats in there, since this does ALL updates that you have downloaded already. I am brand new today here and this is the reason I signed up, to provide this updater to everyone. It is free, with no permission requirements whatsoever..it is just an amazing *.VBS script. My apologies if this script has already been uploaded or if anyone else knows about it. But if not, ENJOY! Many thanks! 

Update: Wanted to add that the interface you can run with a windows command prompt, but it does not provide a realtime view like the one on MEGA. It creates MicrosoftUpdatesInstall.log instead right in the root folder and I always just make a shortcut to the log file on my desktop and doubleclick every once in a while to view the progress. If anyone could make it to watch the updates in a command prompt in real time, have at it, and please don't forget to share!

InstallUpdatesh.Vbs_.vbs

Just noticed this post. I'll give the script a try and I'll report back. If everything works fine, I'll try and include it with my Server 2008 and Server 2012 update repository.

Thanks for sharing this and welcome to MSFN! Hope you have a great time here :hello:

• 9 months later...
On 5/4/2019 at 5:33 PM, greenhillmaniac said:

Just noticed this post. I'll give the script a try and I'll report back. If everything works fine, I'll try and include it with my Server 2008 and Server 2012 update repository.

Thanks for sharing this and welcome to MSFN! Hope you have a great time here :hello:

What's the status on this script?

Does it work?

Yes, it just won't let you see the files getting installed from a "cmd" window in real time, like greenhillmaniac's app does.  The script does. however, provide a "MicrosoftUpdatesInstall.log" in the root folder you are running it from (where your stored updates are). You can load the log file with notepad and access it anytime during, or after install of the updates. The only advantage in using this script overgreenhillmaniac's app is that it installs the *.net framework updates as well as long as you have them in your root folder with the other updates. But yes it most definitely works. I don't think the posting would still be here in this forum if it didn't.

11 minutes ago, Vista'erest said:

Yes, it just won't let you see the files getting installed from a "cmd" window in real time, like greenhillmaniac's app does.  The script does. however, provide a "MicrosoftUpdatesInstall.log" in the root folder you are running it from (where your stored updates are). You can load the log file with notepad and access it anytime during, or after install of the updates. The only advantage in using this script overgreenhillmaniac's app is that it installs the *.net framework updates as well as long as you have them in your root folder with the other updates. But yes it most definitely works. I don't think the posting would still be here in this forum if it didn't.

A slight edit to the script file is required before using this! I notice didnt mention this before :(

You have to specify in the script, under ' Please place the updates in a folder and modify the below folder path
spPatchFolder = "C:\exact location of updates." ..where your updates are in order for the script to find them, because everyone uses a different location

On 2/18/2020 at 12:42 PM, Vista'erest said:

A slight edit to the script file is required before using this! I notice didnt mention this before :(

You have to specify in the script, under ' Please place the updates in a folder and modify the below folder path
spPatchFolder = "C:\exact location of updates." ..where your updates are in order for the script to find them, because everyone uses a different location

OK, thanks!

What I am really trying to do is slipstream updates into the Vista ISO. Except if I just use vLite to integrate all the updates through 2017, it fails (the ISO boots and gets to "Install now" and then i get an error about install.wim or something)

So basically I have to try all possible permutations of the 400 updates and see which ones fail and which ones work.

It is a length process but hopefully at the end I will have a blacklist and whitelist of Vista updates so that as much as possible can be slipstreamed right into the ISO.

• 1 month later...

Hey Dylan, let us know how you make out! I read that vlite only works with SP1 for slipstreaming and not SP2.  The author of vlite also did not have any intentions of updating the program to work with SP2. I also noticed that the timeline on which greenhillmaniac's updates are appearing on MEGA is getting further and further apart.  I'm wondering if he's abandoned the project? I'm still retrieving my updates through MS update catalogue manually and windows server 2008 rollups continue to roll out as of this posting. Didn't need any patch to make the windows server 2008 extended updates work, like I did for Windows 7, which is just awesome.