Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

On 4/28/2019 at 11:43 PM, win32 said:

I just installed it on Windows 2000 and it works great, aside from the fact it seems to render lots of Western-signed HTTPS certificates invalid.

untitled4.thumb.png.7c3fbd13701ce1cf5775310b3b21d087.png

MSFN was also affected; click the hyperlink on the (far) left to proceed to the site.

It also makes all these connections (and a few more); they seem to be American cloud servers. New Moon makes only like 5 connections with a page of MSFN open.

untitled5.thumb.png.27320e19f17e365a394d971f439b72f7.png

Have you tried to check if the unwanted connections are reduced with uBlock Origin?

My connections with UBO + Noscript are reduced to 1.

iDDkdiTk_o.jpg

wFwIZJhZ_o.jpg

Is it possible to block any unwanted connections of 360 Extreme Explorer via HOSTS file?

In this case it would be interesting to have a list.

I just installed it on my main Windows 2000 workstation (extended kernel v3.0a) and I had many issues. I manually installed uBlock Origin v1.18.6 and it didn't work

I noticed that it made connections to servers under these domains:

-cloudflare.com

-tencent.com

-e10.net (eNom, LLC; maybe that one shouldn't be blocked)

-163data.com.cn (China Telecom Group Corporation; state-owned)

-akamaitechnologies.com (they also host some of M$' win10 telemetry servers if I remember correctly)

Once I put them all in my hosts file the browser would crash on bootup and removing them had no effect.

New Moon is still the best browser.

Edited by win32

41 minutes ago, win32 said:

I just installed it on my main Windows 2000 workstation (extended kernel v3.0a) and I had many issues. I manually installed uBlock Origin v1.18.6 and it didn't work

-cloudflare.com

-tencent.com

-akamaitechnologies.com (they also host some of M$' win10 telemetry servers if I remember correctly)

Once I put them all in my hosts file the browser would crash on bootup and removing them had no effect.

New Moon is still the best browser.

Those aren't some very good news, are they?

18 minutes ago, Windows 2000 said:

I note that ED_SIn with XP has installed UBO.

Set "I'm an advanced user"

Try it yourself and check the connections and in the case block them.:yes:

P.S. If a website is not blocked by lists, use the global lock option of UBO.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

Unfortunately I wasn't able to properly install any version of UBO, going back to 1.14. The earlier versions broke the browser.

It will be shown as installed, but it can't access the dashboard page.

Maybe it works on XP, though I don't think such an issue should be at the OS level.

Edited by win32

On 5/5/2019 at 5:26 PM, win32 said:

Unfortunately I wasn't able to properly install any version of UBO, going back to 1.14. The earlier versions broke the browser.

It will be shown as installed, but it can't access the dashboard page.

Maybe it works on XP, though I don't think such an issue should be at the OS level.

You tried with other Adblocks?

Even if uMatrix is working it could allow you to block unwanted connections.

On 5/5/2019 at 5:07 PM, Windows 2000 said:

https://kb.digital-detective.net/display/BF/360+Speed+(Extreme)+Browser

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

uMatrix (latest version) works, but the browser became even slower and I couldn't even make it to MSFN.

Its only use appears to be for DRM-protected content that Pale Moon/New Moon can't handle.

12 hours ago, win32 said:

-cloudflare.com

-tencent.com

I don't think even Google is this devious!

I think cloudflare.com and akamaitechnologies.com are relatively safe (in that I don't believe they're not being used by a foreign government to gather information), but those other ones are downright creepy!

11 hours ago, win32 said:

uMatrix (latest version) works, but the browser became even slower and I couldn't even make it to MSFN.

What happens when this browser is run on something newer, like Windows 7?

c

I read the topics in their browser forum but I didn't find any info for adblockers.

https://bbs.360.cn/forum-142-1.html

Many problems instead of slow navigation, home page changed ..............

If no other user, apart from Win32, wants to try to reduce unwanted connections, wouldn't it be better to use Yandex Browser v17.4.1.1026 (Chromium 58) which installs and also works with Windows XP?

Hello Guys

I noticed this thread and installed Chrome 360 .... its only been an hour or two but I noticed 2 things immediately using this browser compared to MyPal, Pale Moon, Centaury or Firefox .... its memory allocation is better and my machine still feels useable even with around 20 instances of the 360 browser open in tabs.
My NForce 3 AMD PC with its 14 year old XP installation is actually utilising over 3Gb now of the installed 4Gb of memory, whereas before with the known browsers listed above, if my memory usage got to 2Gb my PC would start to go slower and slower until I closed the browser and started again.
I'm amazed, what happened?
Shot2330.thumb.jpg.06b78e6cadc3747519cfd6ed6387b17d.jpg

Shot2335.jpg

Shot2333.jpg

Edited by BTTB
Added image

1 hour ago, BTTB said:

Hello Guys

I noticed this thread and installed Chrome 360 .... its only been an hour or two but I noticed 2 things immediately using this browser compared to MyPal, Pale Moon, Centaury or Firefox .... its memory allocation is better and my machine still feels useable even with around 20 instances of the 360 browser open in tabs.
My NForce 3 AMD PC with its 14 year old XP installation is actually utilising over 3Gb now of the installed 4Gb of memory, whereas before with the known browsers listed above, if my memory usage got to 2Gb my PC would start to go slower and slower until I closed the browser and started again.
I'm amazed, what happened?

To be very honest, I've been using it for the last 1 week or so and it seems like it is in fact a lot faster and I am very impressed considering the fact that it is actually a chinese browser.

@BTTB, Chromium-family browsers use multiple processes, whereas older Firefox-family browsers use a single process and typically in x86 Windows, a single process can only use up to 2 GB of memory (unless /3GB is set to assign 3 GB to programs and 1 GB for the kernel).

Firefox 54 is the first multithreaded version, and 53 was successfully run on Windows 2000 extended kernel by @blackwingcat. I wonder if later 5x versions are possible with the kernel wrappers available for XP?

Edited by win32