Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

When I installed it from the official page. I expected to find the Google account login option, but it prompted me to the 360 account instead. This way it's impossible for me to sync my bookmarks, autofill and passwords across browsers and since I have no intention to install 360 on my mobile as well nor to register for an account, I'm not gonna use it.

4 hours ago, FranceBB said:

When I installed it from the official page. I expected to find the Google account login option, but it prompted me to the 360 account instead. This way it's impossible for me to sync my bookmarks, autofill and passwords across browsers and since I have no intention to install 360 on my mobile as well nor to register for an account, I'm not gonna use it.

It automatically imported all of my Chrome data into 360 (or I manually imported it from one of the options in the settings, I do not remember) without asking me to create any accounts. Very interesting..

2 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Check to see if this privacy issue and related fix are present:

The default setting is ambiguous "default". I think that there should be no problems if there is no Google account entry in the browser itself. Or it is hidden. But I still turned off this option.

360截图20190522002842140.jpg

(From another thread, but relevant to the topic of this one)

41 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

@roytam1: Do you think you can somehow backport bug #1430268 to the UXP platform and thus apply it to both NM28/St52? Is a test-build even possible? If yes, then the OP (@Bersaglio) won't have to use a Chinese browser to connect with... ;)

OT: I don't mistrust myself the Chinese browsers any more than I do American ones like Google Chrome or Russian ones like Yandex Browser; all government security agencies are pretty much the same in my eyes... :(; in this day and age, there's no such thing as privacy if you decide to connect to the live web... :realmad:

I don't think the situation is that awful. Not that it's good; but there are differences among those nations: AIUI the Chinese government requires all Web browsers made available in that country to spy on their users, while Western agencies (e.g., NSA, MI6) prefer to concentrate on hacking, cryptanalysis, and massive data collection. So I can't discount @Bersaglio's concerns about Chrome 360 so easily.

Not sure where Russian browsers stand, but American-authored browsers wouldn't seem to be riskier than those from other nations just because the NSA does what it does. But I do worry about Google; like many privacy-conscious Internet users, I have a love/hate relationship with them. They really do have the best search engine (still), and if you avoid Google Sync, I don't think Chrome is significantly worse from a privacy standpoint than other browsers. Yet their data collection overall would make the NSA blush. "Why don't you use our 'free' email service, 'free' online appointment calendar, and watch a few 'free' videos in your 'free' time?" I avoid Google (even Chrome) if reasonable alternatives exist, just to send them a message that I disapprove of their business model.

So where does that leave Chrome 360? Well, to me it seems more Chinese than Google. It replaces Google Sync with its own accounts, so I see no risk of the data it collects being Hoovered up into the Googleplex. It will, of course, be Hoovered up into China, but I'm personally less worried about what President Xi might do with my browsing habits than with all the unnecessary Internet traffic it generates. (Methinks my Internet connection might take a performance hit if my browser insists on connecting to China, or even a local proxy, every time I click on a link.)

15 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I'm personally less worried about what President Xi might do with my browsing

I prefer my browsing habits sent to China than to Google anyway. And I never keep logged in to it... just for Gmail, if at all, when needed.

On 5/22/2019 at 3:52 PM, Sampei.Nihira said:

I don't use Gmail. I pay for email services I trust to keep my email private and secure.

There was a time when I unknowingly used gmail though. For a hot minute there was a wireless ISP called ClearWire. (Sprint eventually bought them out just to shut them down, but that's another story.) Anyhow, like many ISPs at the time, ClearWire provided free email at their clear.com domain. Little did I know it was actually just Gmail in disguise!

Moral: beware of your ISP's "free" email accounts!

On 4/28/2019 at 4:28 PM, Windows 2000 said:

According to HTML5test the last official Chrome for XP gets the score of "489" while Chrome 360 gets the score of "528" which is a score that I have never seen on any other XP browser before.

BTW, I've discovered it's possible to configure Serpent 55 to get a score of 514, which I'm guessing would put it in second place behind Chrome 360. However, enabling Web components breaks Github, and I disabled beacons and geolocation for privacy reasons, leaving my copy with a final score of 491, very close to Chrome 49. (Geolocation alone costs a whopping 15 points; html5test.com really wants you to enable that one!)

• 3 weeks later...

Downloaded from the first post and scanned with virustotal:

nothing detected by any engine

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/0de9772981bd29934609f34290ac761183048c4f76701bf69f0831347f765c78/detection

I've blocked installation cause i can't understand any options!!!

i see only lines of multiple squares with some "360", something like this

□□□□□□□□□□360□□□□□□□□□□   ✔ ✗

Edited by Vistaboy

On 6/11/2019 at 5:01 PM, Vistaboy said:

i see only lines of multiple squares with some "360", something like this

□□□□□□□□□□360□□□□□□□□□□   ✔ ✗

That's probably because your system lacks Eastern Asian Fonts (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc...); not saying you'd be able to understand the messages in Chinese (displayed by the installer) had you got them installed... ;) :P Perhaps a native Chinese speaker could create an installation guide with screenshots for those wanting to install this Chinese Chromium 69 fork (myself, I'm using a Russian-made portable version in WinPenPack format, just search for it on line as it's not allowed here on MSFN to post links to "unofficial" packages... :unsure:).

Edited by VistaLover

9 hours ago, VistaLover said:

That's probably because your system lacks Eastern Asian Fonts (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc...); not saying you'd be able to understand the messages in Chinese (displayed by the installer) had you got them installed... ;) :P Perhaps a native Chinese speaker could create an installation guide with screenshots for those wanting to install this Chinese Chromium 69 fork (myself, I'm using a Russian-made portable version in WinPenPack format, just search for it on line as it's not allowed here on MSFN to post links to "unofficial" packages... :unsure:).

Can't quite understand 

1) an outside-china installer is made in native chinese language :wacko:  

2) a lot of people are using a chinese browser without control on options/where/what is installed. :dubbio:

6 hours ago, Vistaboy said:

2) a lot of people are using a chinese browser without control on options/where/what is installed. :dubbio:

Could be you're just a little more paranoid than most? :P :angel