On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

39 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I see you are using Avast. That must be an XP screenshot, but Avast would also be a good choice for your Vista.

im not using windows vista any more it got corrupted so badly that it was unreparible so i switched to windows xp and it works so much better and faster i want to use vista forever but it just does not work for me

Edited by VistaEX

4 hours ago, VistaEX said:

im not using windows vista any more it got corrupted so badly that it was unreparible so i switched to windows xp and it works so much better and faster i want to use vista forever but it just does not work for me

It got corrupted because of the numerous updates ! I use Vista from 2007 and never had any problems .

If you need the ex-kernel , the only update that must be installed is KB4467700-x64.

If you play DX 11 games - you need to install KB2117917 and KB971512.

That's it ! You can also install VC redist and Frameowrk 4.5 .  

You do not need anything else, if you don't click suspicious links. 

19 hours ago, VistaEX said:

thankyou @Dixel i tryed your trick and it works perfectly now! i can finally use vista!

Great ! But why haven't you made an upvote for my post then ? BTW , our dear moderators may want to pin this post as a quick and proven fix for Vista users who got lost among all those numerous updates . @Dave-H , we have something for your consideration here , in my previous post.

11 minutes ago, Dixel said:

But why haven't you made an upvote for my post then ?

While I did find that post of yours to be of value/merit :thumbup, soliciting "likes/upvotes" in such a blatant way is not something to my liking... :( But that's just probably me getting older... :P

5 hours ago, VistaLover said:

While I did find that post of yours to be of value/merit :thumbup, soliciting "likes/upvotes" in such a blatant way is not something to my liking... :( But that's just probably me getting older... :P

Oh really !? Where is any valuable info in your reply and why do you think it is needed ? It's not the first time you've misinterpreted my posts . Do note , I didn't write "like" , and "upvote" is meant to move the post in the charts for people who need to find a quick solution. Now this is really funny how your absolutely worthless and hostile post is getting upvotes. Such "posts" do pollute this wonderful website , our beloved MSFN.

Let me ask , do you have a special permission to write off-topic posts ? The rules do not apply to you ? I've noticed you have plenty of them with many being marked as <OT>. Are you a wise ancient ("old", like you said it yourself) Guru of some sorts ? Well, sorry if I missed that part. 

I would like to ask the moderators and the public to forgive me for going off-topic , I didn't start this and I'm sorry, but this time it's just too much.

Please delete this post (and his too for being absolutely off-topic and obviously personal).

EDIT :

I've decided to attach this screenshot of the main page of "VistaLover" 's profile where

70% of his posts are marked as <OT> (off-topic) by the user himself .

Maybe it is something for the moderators to consider.

ban vistalover.png

Edited by Dixel
I decided to attach a screenshot

Well posts about Windows Vista should not be in this section of the forum anyway! :no:
You contribution was obviously valuable @Dixel, and if you want to please make a new thread in the Vista section of the forum outlining your fix and stating what problems it should resolve. We will look at pinning it, and moving the relevant posts from this thread to it.
AFAIK liking or upvoting posts does not give them any more prominence here, and while you are quite free to ask people to upvote your posts, others are quite entitled to disapprove of this!
Cheers, Dave.
:)

@Dave-H Well, Vista is mentioned parenthetically in the thread title, so it oughtn't be completely off topic, yes?

That being said, a separate, Vista-specific thread would be much more appropriate, as too much of it here tends to distract from all the XP-specific information, thereby causing confusion.

c

Yes Vista is mentioned in the thread title, because it's a thread about the cessation of the Windows Update services, which happens to apply to both XP and Vista, which is why it's mentioned.
However posts about problems which are specific to Vista alone should of course be in the Vista section.
:)

I noticed that around Mid-March, The Microsoft Update Catalog is now restricted to HTTPS with TLS 1.2 with ECDHE_RSA only. Windows XP with Internet Explorer 8 can no longer access it. But Windows 2000 with the extended kernel can access it.

10 hours ago, xpandvistafan said:

I noticed that around Mid-March, The Microsoft Update Catalog is now restricted to HTTPS
with TLS 1.2 with ECDHE_RSA only. Windows XP with Internet Explorer 8 can no longer access it

... Below is the test for "www.catalog.update.microsoft.com" on SSL Labs/Server:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.catalog.update.microsoft.com

As one can see, it also offers connection over TLS 1.0+1.1, with weaker cipher suites (e.g. TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA (0x2f)); however, as you posted, IE8/XP isn't able to connect, and this is indicated further down below, in the "Handshake Simulation" section; the deal breaker in that case might also be the lack of SNI support in IE8 under XP, as well as lack of available cipher suites...

It's a good thing, of course, that the catalog is no more an ActiveX-exclusive (read IE-only) site, so it can be accessed on XP via alternate browsers :cheerleader:(SSL Labs claim that even Chrome 49/XP SP3 works...).

Best regards :), welcome to MSFN!

Edited by VistaLover