On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

5 hours ago, WinGlass said:

Does anyone know if Office 2010 causes Windows Update to take forever to check for updates in Vista? (Because I know this happens in XP)

You should just create integrated setup instead using WU again and again for same update set :) You can easily download all needed files using Windows Hotfix Downloader

Edited by George King

On 7/2/2022 at 9:59 PM, WinGlass said:

Does anyone know if Office 2010 causes Windows Update to take forever to check for updates in Vista? (Because I know this happens in XP)

Evidently yes. There is an unsolved thread at another forum by a Vista user who followed a YouTube video by @i430VX to get Windows Update to work. It sounds like it works for everything he wants except updates for Office 2010 SP2:

https://www.vistax64.com/threads/svchost-exe-using-100-of-cpu-after-installing-ms-office-2010-sp2-update.305905/

51 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

@Imacri wrote:

but I think the latest v16.32 currently posted on the official Microsoft Sysinternals Process Explorer page still runs correctly on Vista SP2 and Win 7 SP1 machines.
Microsoft removed Vista SP2 and Win 7 SP1 from the list of compatible operating systems when they reached their end of support, but Process Explorer v16.32 should still launch on a Vista SP2 machine.

... The version currently available there is Process Explorer v16.43 (the x86 binary has a digital, sha256-only, file signature of 2021-08-17) and, upon testing in my Vista SP2 32-bit laptop, I discovered it doesn't launch :( under Vista SP2 :

0eMGJi9.jpg

The previous release, Process Explorer v16.42 (the x86 binary has a digital, sha256-only, file signature of 2021-06-01), exhibits the exact same behaviour as v16.43 :realmad: ... 

However, I can confirm that Process Explorer v16.32 (the x86 binary has a digital, sha256-only, file signature of 2020-09-12) is the Vista End-Of-Service[EoS] version of Process Explorer :thumbup ; no longer available via the official MS page, but can be retrieved via third party reputable archiving sites (I used FileHorse) ;) ...

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

However, I can confirm that Process Explorer v16.32 (the x86 binary has a digital, sha256-only, file signature of 2020-09-12) is the Vista End-Of-Service[EoS] version of Process Explorer :thumbup ; no longer available via the official MS page, but can be retrieved via third party reputable archiving sites (I used FileHorse) ;) ...

And additionally, on Windows XP, Process Explorer v16.32 works, but doesn't show the menu bar icons and graphs. The last version which works completely is Process Explorer v16.22.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

46 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

The last version which works completely is Process Explorer v16.22.

... Thanks :P; so, another "misinformation" posted by @Imacri (on the vistax64.com forum):

For future reference, I believe that Process Explorer v16.05 was the last version compatible with Win XP SP3

:whistle:

On 7/3/2022 at 9:59 AM, WinGlass said:

back in 2021, my Vista laptop had Office 2010 and it only take 15 minutes to check for updates and never take forever. Strange :dubbio:

Edited by LonghornXP

4 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

It sounds like it works for everything he wants except updates for Office 2010 SP2:

If I'm understanding right, This has been a problem for a while for some updates for Office 2010, even since Windows update worked normally. I think eventually it will sort itself out, but it could take a while particularly on slower processors.

Edited by i430VX

On 7/9/2022 at 1:50 AM, AstroSkipper said:

And additionally, on Windows XP, Process Explorer v16.32 works, but doesn't show the menu bar icons and graphs. The last version which works completely is Process Explorer v16.22.

Correction: Process Explorer v16.26 is the last version that works completely on XP, not v16.22.

Edited by mina7601

3 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Correction: Process Explorer v16.26 is the last version that works completely on XP.

Thanks for your reply and your find! You're absolutely right, Process Explorer v16.26 is fully functional on Windows XP. I checked the versions on filehorse, and there was no version 16.26. Only 16.22 and then 16.30. Therefore, I couldn't check version 16.26. I thought the list there was complete. Anyway, good find and thanks again! unami.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper goodjob.gif

2 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I checked the versions on filehorse, and there was no version 16.26. Only 16.22 and then 16.30.
Therefore, I couldn't check version 16.26.

... Same story in FileHippo:

https://filehippo.com/download_process-explorer/history/

May I ask where exactly did you locate a copy of v16.26 (same question extended to @mina7601 :P ) ?

My search skills produced as a result a Korean blog, where v16.26 is being offered as an attachment ...
The 32-bit binary has both sha1+sha256 file signatures of 2019-06-29 ;) ...

7 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... Same story in FileHippo:

https://filehippo.com/download_process-explorer/history/

May I ask where exactly did you locate a copy of v16.26 (same question extended to @mina7601 :P ) ?

My search skills produced as a result a Korean blog, where v16.26 is being offered as an attachment ...
The 32-bit binary has both sha1+sha256 file signatures of 2019-06-29 ;) ...

You can find it on fileeagle. :) Link: https://www.fileeagle.com/software/470/Process-Explorer/16.26/

Edited by AstroSkipper