On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 9:14 PM, VistaLover said:

As it's already widely known, Vista SP2 (both x86+x64) is NOT supported! :( :angry: :realmad:

4F8viLf.jpg

Thats weird, I think there are some packages that added in Server 2008 and not available in Vista :(

Edited by LonghornXP

• 2 weeks later...

It has been more than a year since Windows Update v6 for XP was put into an infinite redirect loop by Microsoft. It has also almost been two years since the update servers for XP were discontinued. Without the efforts of @maile3241, Windows Update v6 for XP would have never seen the light of day again. Now we can use v6 normally again on XP and are working to making v5, v4 and v3 working again as well. Now is a good time to archive v6, since it is still on Microsoft servers.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:56 AM, xpandvistafan said:

It has been more than a year since Windows Update v6 for XP was put into an infinite redirect loop by Microsoft. It has also almost been two years since the update servers for XP were discontinued. Without the efforts of @maile3241, Windows Update v6 for XP would have never seen the light of day again. Now we can use v6 normally again on XP and are working to making v5, v4 and v3 working again as well. Now is a good time to archive v6, since it is still on Microsoft servers.

Windows Update v6 is as in 2019 (working correctly), Windows Update v5 has already been revived but there are problems to be solved, but Windows Update v4 is a little longer.

WU v4 was the XP styled one, wasn't it?

I remember using it briefly in 2004 or so. 

Or was that v5?

It's probably safe to say that v1 through v3 (the versions released with Windows 98 and ME) are pretty much extinct and thus un revivable, yes?

c

On 6/5/2022 at 2:24 PM, cc333 said:

WU v4 was the XP styled one, wasn't it?

Yes, version of WU that people loves (since v4 shipped with XP)

I remember using it briefly in 2004 or so. 

Or was that v5?

idk

It's probably safe to say that v1 through v3 (the versions released with Windows 98 and ME) are pretty much extinct and thus un revivable, yes?

I guess v1 is shipped with 95, v2 with NT4, v3 with 98, ME and 2000, v4 with XP, v5 with Server 2003 and Longhorn (i guess with Longhorn), v6 with idk and v7WUApp with Vista and later 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

i was testing reinstalling Windows Update v6 on Windows 2000, and then I got error 0x80244019.

And the url https://www.update.microsoft.com/v6/ClientWebService/client.asmx is dead. I get a 404.

Anyone have a solution to this error ? Windows XP use https://fe2.update.microsoft.com/v6/ClientWebService/client.asmx

And this url is not dead.