On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

@Dave-H I did a deeper examination of AU related problems. It seems we do not need to patch other files. And it doesn't matter if error 0x80096010 occurs in WindowsUpdate.log. In my system following steps are working to get AU notification shield:

1. Enable ProxHTTPSProxy.
2. Set AU to 'Notify but don't automatically download or install them'.
3. It's not necessary to set proxy system-wide by command proxycfg -u.
4. Execute following command: wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow. (I had to execute this command only once. After disabling AU notification shield disappears and subsequent enabling it appears again if ProxHTTPSProxy is enabled permanently).
5. AU notification shield appears if important updates are available. :yes:

Here is a proof:

AU-success.png

Cheers, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

Thanks all.
Just to report no sign of the error message again so far.
If it doesn't appear tomorrow or the next day I think we can assume that delaying the automatic update services until after HTTPSProxy is up and running has fixed the issue.
:)

Sorry to report that about 20 minutes ago, the error message came up again, long after the machine was up and running, with HTTPSProxy active.

Clipboard-1.png.c06db73ae34bf08935267965252b594a.png

So, it's nothing to do with the check happening before HTTPSProxy is started.
:(
Either the automatic checking system isn't using HTTPSProxy for some reason, or the mechanism is failing due to some other cause.
It is strange that checks using the website are fine, and updates are being automatically offered again if they're needed as soon as they're removed, but the routine regular check for updates done by the system is failing.
It's not a big issue of course, as there is almost zero chance of an automatic check ever finding anything now, but I'm a bit of a completist, and I'd like to see everything working again!
:dubbio:

2 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Sorry to report that about 20 minutes ago, the error message came up again, long after the machine was up and running, with HTTPSProxy active.

Did you read my post above?

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

@Dave-H I did a deeper examination of AU related problems. It seems we do not need to patch other files. And it doesn't matter if error 0x80096010 occurs in WindowsUpdate.log. In my system following steps are working to get AU notification shield:

4. Execute following command: wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow. (I had to execute this command only once. After disabling AU notification shield disappears and subsequent enabling it appears again if ProxHTTPSProxy is enabled permanently).

Here is a proof:

AU-success.png

Try if it works for you! In my system no problems so far.

I did read it, but I didn't try it because I wanted to eliminate the other possibility that we were testing one way or the other first.
I will try it now.
:yes:

EDIT: OK I ran wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow in a command prompt. Is that all I need to do? Everything else was already as stated.

7 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Here is a proof:

AU-success.png

I did all your step and I'm got it work without /resetauthorization :)

Hi @xpandvistafan, can you clarify why installing windowsserver2003-kb2868626-x86-xxx.exe is necessary for restoring MU web site functionality? You know I was the person who found out that wuaueng.dll didn't install properly due to SFC. I restored MU web site version in January. Today I did a deeper examination of MU/WU related files in my system and found out that the update windowsserver2003-kb2868626-x86-deu.exe wasn't installed properly too, although MU web site is working flawlessly in my system. Both files, crypt32.dll and w03s3407.dll, weren't copied in folders c:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache and c:\WINDOWS\system32. I still have the original Windows XP files. crypt32.dll in version 5.131.2600.6459 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.131005-0434) is from 04-14-2020 and w03s3409.dll in version 5.2.3790.3959 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710) is from 02-18-2007. Your provided crypt32.dll is in version 5.131.3790.5235 (srv03_sp2_qfe.131004-1550) from 10-07-2013 and the file w03s3407.dll doesn't exist in mentioned folders at all. And I definitely know that I executed your install.cmd at that time. My conclusion is either your script didn't work properly at that time or SFC did its job once again. Nonetheless my question remains to be clarified: Why do we need to install the update windowsserver2003-kb2868626-x86-xxx.exe at all? :dubbio: Kind regards, AstroSkipper

17 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hi @xpandvistafan, can you clarify why installing windowsserver2003-kb2868626-x86-xxx.exe is necessary for restoring MU web site functionality? You know I was the person who found out that wuaueng.dll didn't install properly due to SFC. I restored MU web site version in January. Today I did a deeper examination of MU/WU related files in my system and found out that the update windowsserver2003-kb2868626-x86-deu.exe wasn't installed properly too, although MU web site is working flawlessly in my system. Both files, crypt32.dll and w03s3407.dll, weren't copied in folders c:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache and c:\WINDOWS\system32. I still have the original Windows XP files. crypt32.dll in version 5.131.2600.6459 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.131005-0434) is from 04-14-2020 and w03s3409.dll in version 5.2.3790.3959 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710) is from 02-18-2007. Your provided crypt32.dll is in version 5.131.3790.5235 (srv03_sp2_qfe.131004-1550) from 10-07-2013 and the file w03s3407.dll doesn't exist in mentioned folders at all. And I definitely know that I executed your install.cmd at that time. My conclusion is either your script didn't work properly at that time or SFC did its job once again. Nonetheless my question remains to be clarified: Why do we need to install the update windowsserver2003-kb2868626-x86-xxx.exe at all? :dubbio: Kind regards, AstroSkipper

This was required for SHA-2 support for Windows Server 2003 back when you didn't need to use ProxHTTPSProxy in October 2020. Otherwise you would get 80072F8F. I guess with the Proxy that is not needed anymore. 

27 minutes ago, LonghornXP said:

I did all your step and I'm got it work without /resetauthorization :)

Thanks for reporting! Glad it works for you. :) In my case it worked only one Windows session. After restart it didin't work anymore. I have to find out what's going wrong here. :dubbio:

3 hours ago, xpandvistafan said:

This was required for SHA-2 support for Windows Server 2003 back when you didn't need to use ProxHTTPSProxy in October 2020. Otherwise you would get 80072F8F. I guess with the Proxy that is not needed anymore. 

AFAIK for SHA-2 support in Windows XP update KB2868626 was required (Oktober of 2013). This update contains crypt32.dll in version 5.131.2600.6459.

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 4/2/2022 at 4:32 AM, maile3241 said:

Just by the way:)

I was just browsing my gallery and came across this video which I recorded on 26 December 2021. These were the first times I was able to see the page without the 0x80072EFF error and without any proxy or other programs. I had only installed any certificates and activated Tls 1.2. Strangely, I could only open the page by chance and if you opened the page in a new tab or in a new window it didn't work either.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN6Tetz5NMAgHMWUgGFVMLlU-xPaNzpIB3XmtKVmvVGIHEt1WhV1mtClh2zpIi7YA/photo/AF1QipOMz2Mn0O7XKqc8-w3E14KLUVjhMglEhayOevmi?key=Y2wyZ2pQMGtqQ2R5cm0xeHNuT0phOV9oc0FCdkJB

@maile3241 Do u still have that "old" extra certificates?

On 4/6/2022 at 7:32 PM, Dave-H said:

OK I ran wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow in a command prompt. Is that all I need to do? Everything else was already as stated.

In my system AU and notification shield worked exactly one Windows session. After restart it didn't work anymore. I have to find out what's going wrong here. Therefore one question. Which version of crypt32.dll do you have currently in your Windows XP system? My version is 5.131.2600.6459 from Oktober of 2013.

Edited by AstroSkipper