On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

7 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

Just FYI...

Looks like the default settings in my system were changed at some time in the past decade, lol. 

Following the guide i was repeatedly getting the error that some ActiveX can't run. 

Also tried to directly open one of the scripts in ,y proxy log ( http://fe2.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/shared/js/tgar.js?637838310220275095 ) and i was told that my security settings won't allow me to download it. 

After reseting the trusted zone to the medium setting i finally got to the Express/Custom choice. 

Now, after few minutes of scanning, i'm at error 0x80072F78, heh... 

Does anyone know where the default settings for the zones are stored?

If you have already installed the 4 updates, try deactivating the firewall. @mina7601 also had the error 0x80072F78 recently.

2 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

If you have already installed the 4 updates, try deactivating the firewall. @mina7601 also had the error 0x80072F78 recently.

It is OFF already. 

Anyways, i'm not asking about this error. 

I'm saying, that my "High" security setting is (probably) not the same as yours. When we both do a reset, we get different settings. 

This is a very old install, it's likely that some tweak/etc. modified the defaults in the past. 

I may compare it to a fresh XP tomorrow, don't feel like it now :zzz::P

2 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Just FYI...

Looks like the default settings in my system were changed at some time in the past decade, lol. 

Following the guide i was repeatedly getting the error that some ActiveX can't run. 

Also tried to directly open one of the scripts in ,y proxy log ( http://fe2.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/shared/js/tgar.js?637838310220275095 ) and i was told that my security settings won't allow me to download it. 

After reseting the trusted zone to the medium setting i finally got to the Express/Custom choice. 

Now, after few minutes of scanning, i'm at error 0x80072F78, heh... 

Does anyone know where the default settings for the zones are stored?

Beside a fresh installation there are two other options for you: 1. Checking Internet Explorer Options, Internet Zone settings. Here especially all entries relating to ActiveX. 2. A complete reset of Internet Explorer and reregistering of all components which can be done by a special script or by a Microsoft Fixit Tool. If wanted, I can upload. :yes:

PS: BTW, be aware of typos! @mina7601 found a lot of mine in the past. Maybe a link in Trusted Zone has one too.

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

2 hours ago, maile3241 said:

Try resetting all zones.

Pfff, this is what i was trying to tell you. 

After reset the settings are NOT the same on my old XP and a new XP VM! 

Anyways, just forget about it. 

I neither need, nor want MU now...

14 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

After reset the settings are NOT the same on my old XP and a new XP VM! 

And what about my suggestion? A hard reset or repair? There is nothing to loose!

13 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

A complete reset of Internet Explorer and reregistering of all components which can be done by a special script or by a Microsoft Fixit Tool. If wanted, I can upload. :yes:

Okay so I installed all of the POSReady 2009 updates on an old laptop of mine and now when I install certain software it gives me an error that it couldn't install because the windows installer something couldn't be accessed, and I'm guessing that a POSReady update did something to the windows installer.

50 minutes ago, WinGlass said:

Okay so I installed all of the POSReady 2009 updates on an old laptop of mine and now when I install certain software it gives me an error that it couldn't install because the windows installer something couldn't be accessed, and I'm guessing that a POSReady update did something to the windows installer.

You are facing  problem. After installing Update POSReady 2009 Windows Installer Service not working Can you try this .Bat file ? 

Cr Stormit (ryanvm.net)

msifix.bat

Edited by tpao12

15 hours ago, andryx18 said:

Is possible to do that Windows 2000 connect to a Windows XP machine with ProxHTTPSProxy through setting proxy to get working Windows Update or Windows Update MiniTool?

If you have a freshly installed W2k, look here first: 

After that, take a look at this post:

19 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Wow ... sorry I missed your posting ... very cool! 

Thanks for the share :)

You're very welcome. I'm glad you liked the theme.

I'm sure you will find a lot of interesting themes there too. :)