On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

6 hours ago, LonghornXP said:

Now I'm got 80244004

You mean you are getting now error code 0x80244004. If so, you should check or perform step 11 once more. You have to verify the existence of patched "wuaueng.dll" in mentioned folders. Be aware of SFC which tries to restore an original old version of this file! After patching restart your computer and check again! And please, more information about your system and what you have done so far. Anyway, doing all steps correctly and keeping the order should let the probabiliy of success increase to nearly 100%. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper

Whatever will happen and whatever fate befalls my little guide, thank you for your interest and your efforts! :yes:

8 hours ago, cc333 said:

one can't count on the Wayback Machine to completely archive anything (it's particularly hit or miss with forums)

I totally agree. The Wayback Machine is great but for more complex backups especially due to incompatibiliy in backing up links on MSFN, it's not an option.

8 hours ago, cc333 said:

I will!  And I guarantee that I will do my best to not (knowingly) use anything Russian.  I neither condone nor support the unprovoked and indiscriminate killing and destruction of a nation and its citizens...

Thanks for clarifying. It's very sad but we must make a mark, no matter how small. :yes:

8 hours ago, cc333 said:

Is DropBox OK with you?

I do have a DropBox account, therefore it is an option, of course. As I already mentioned above there has to be a possibility for me to delete old and add new versions of this guide.

8 hours ago, cc333 said:

Of course!  I don't want to make anything public without your permission and approval!  And it's your right to do whatever you want with it.  I only came up with the HTML version because I was bored and wanted something to do :)

Thank you for understanding and respecting that! :thumbup

What tool do you use to generate a html version of my guide? In the past I had different problems with a lot of tools. Simple constructed web sites, no problem, but more complex and linked sites, I got partially or completely results which were terrible.
So far, kind regards, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

You mean you are getting now error code 0x80244004. If so, you should check or perform step 11 once more. You have to verify the existence of patched "wuaueng.dll" in mentioned folders. Be aware of SFC which tries to restore an original old version of this file! After patching restart your computer and check again! And please, more information about your system and what you have done so far. Anyway, doing all steps correctly and keeping the order should let the probabiliy of success increase to nearly 100%. :yes:

Now, i'm got 0x80096010

@LonghornXP Any assistance is senseless without information about your system and what you have done so far. You are bombing this thread with error codes but you didn't explain what you did to generate them. And regarding your language skills, please use Google Translate additionally to post clear statements and comments! :yes:
PS: It's not meant to be mean! But speaking and writing in a clear way is mandatory.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

2 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

@LonghornXP Any assistance is senseless without information about your system and what you have done so far. You are bombing this thread with error codes but you didn't explain what you did to generate them. And regarding your language skills, please use Google Translate additionally to post clear statements and comments! :yes:

here is a screenshot

2078606898_ScreenShot2022-03-21at19_53_05.thumb.png.a6d01631435ab25a7dfe5d1e243dc10f.png

24 minutes ago, LonghornXP said:

here is a screenshot

Did you read my post above? I need information about your system and what you have done so far. And in your ProxHTTPSProxy's log window there are fatal ssl tunnel errors. What did you do? Post additionally a complete screenshot of ProxHTTPSProxy's log window while accessing MU only (no other connections to whereever) and upload your WindowsUpdate.log located in folder \Windows! And please, no more one sentence comments with nonsufficient information! Compare my posts to yours and you know what I mean! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

29 minutes ago, LonghornXP said:

Too less information and posting of one sentence comment again! The next one I will ignore! I looked into your log. You had and have a lot of problems relating to your Windows Update client. Do carefully following steps of my guide again: 9, 10 and 11. Steps 14 and 15 only if necessary as described in my guide. And I'm serious, no more one sentence comments with nonsufficient information! "here is the log" is nothing! The next one I will ignore definitely! A complete screenshot of ProxHTTPSProxy's log window while accessing MU only (no other connections to whereever) plus information about your system and what you have done so far, are missing too. 

Edited by AstroSkipper

1 hour ago, LonghornXP said:

Update rollup 1, IE6, WUA 7.6, rootsupd, KB2817183

I have this but www.update.microsoft.com redirects on fe2.update.microsoft.com on Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 3.

On Microsoft Windows 2000, it's working :dubbio:

Hi @maile3241 What do you think about people asking for assistance but being too lazy or whatever in writing reasonable posts? I don't understand that and it annoys me. We all do that to help other people just for fun. But in these cases there is no fun! :no:
Apart from that, it is also a question of respect and that's really lacking in some cases, in my opinion!

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

We've had a bit of a discussion about this recently in the moderators' section, and post bumping too.
I agree that responses which just say "It doesn't work, what do I do now" are rather less than helpful, but I keep telling myself that a lot of members do not have English as their first language, and therefore may not be particularly confident about posting complex messages.
I do agree that this can be very frustrating if you're trying to help someone though, and if they don't respond more helpfully even after much prompting, there's not much you can do!
:no:

21 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

We've had a bit of a discussion about this recently in the moderators' section, and post bumping too.
I agree that responses which just say "It doesn't work, what do I do now" are rather less than helpful, but I keep telling myself that a lot of members do not have English as their first language, and therefore may not be particularly confident about posting complex messages.
I do agree that this can be very frustrating if you're trying to help someone though, and if they don't respond more helpfully even after much prompting, there's not much you can do!
:no:

Thanks for your point of view! :thumbup English isn't my native language too, I am German. But I try to do my best in writing. And truth to be told there is an option called "Google Translator", therefore bad language skills are no acceptable reason to write in poor English strings. Or isn't it? :no:

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

12 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hi @maile3241 What do you think about people asking for assistance but being too lazy or whatever in writing reasonable posts? I don't understand that and it annoys me. We all do that to help other people just for fun. But in these cases there is no fun! :no:

First of all: I don't mean to belittle or offend anyone but I think it's a common problem. I think it's a bit of a shame, because I'm actually always willing to help someone if they have problems with WU, as you already know. But without detailed information there is no reasonable solution either, so I can understand you well and I totally agree.

Kind regards:)

IE6 take 30min for each scan on Windows Server 2003.

I have all components installed, and all patches.

Any solution for this problem? (I'm not the only one with this problem)