On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

@AstroSkipperGot all caught up now, so I can comment!

I looked at your guide (it's about time someone made one!), and I like it so much, I was wondering if, with your permission, I could create an HTML version of it that could be mirrored somewhere as a backup in case MSFN ever become inaccessible?  I noticed that it links to several other posts on here, so those would probably have to be recreated as well, but one thing at a time!

That being said, I am almost finished with a basic prototype based on an old revision of your post.  Let me know if you have any input!

c

1 hour ago, cc333 said:

@AstroSkipperGot all caught up now, so I can comment!

I looked at your guide (it's about time someone made one!), and I like it so much, I was wondering if, with your permission, I could create an HTML version of it that could be mirrored somewhere as a backup in case MSFN ever become inaccessible?  I noticed that it links to several other posts on here, so those would probably have to be recreated as well, but one thing at a time!

That being said, I am almost finished with a basic prototype based on an old revision of your post.  Let me know if you have any input!

Hi @cc333, I have never noticed that you've read and liked my guide. But thanks for reading and apparently liking! Usually there is a little button called "Like" to let me know that. :yes::buehehe: Anyway, I think we are talking about my "Complete guide for restoring Microsoft Update in IE". I already wrote it in 21th of January. Due to new facts, modifications and reorder of some steps I've updated it in the last two days and for now it's finished. The linking to other posts is very important to get additional and necessary information. But could you be more specific relating to your request "if you have any input"?  What kind of input do you need? :dubbio: And where shall these html sites be mirrored to? You see, a lot of questions we have to talk about. And forget about any old versions of my guide. The only interesting version is the current one. So long!
Kind regards, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

Ah, I forgot that like buttons are a thing! :rolleyes:  I just went back and "liked" the guide!

I have updated my prototype using the newest version of your guide, so consider any old versions forgotten. :)

Regarding "input", I basically just wanted to ask if it was OK that I did this, and to see if you had any thoughts on it.

I copied all the links over, so everything is the same as it was, as far as linking to external sources goes (though, it could easily be modified such that all linked files and guides are local, but I left the links as is for now).

As for where to put it, maybe it can be included in the all in one packs as a sort of instruction manual?

c

3 hours ago, cc333 said:

As for where to put it, maybe it can be included in the all in one packs as a sort of instruction manual?

At first, thanks for thinking about a backup solution in case of MSFN sites' inaccessibility!  When creating of your html version is finished, please upload it i.e. your prototype and later your final version to Mediafire, for example, or any other hoster (but please a non Russian one) so that I can have a look into it! And send me the download link only via PM! In any case I want to have it in form of a separate guide such as it is i.e. I don't want this guide to be included in these "all in one" packages. BTW automatic solutions do not need an instruction how to do things manually. And I prefer manual methods to keep control. Anyway, we talked about a mirror! A package isn't one. It has to be a location all interested people can have access to. Furthermore there has to be a possibility for me to delete old and add new versions of this guide. I don't have a suitable mirror in mind yet but I will think about it. Maybe you can offer some alternatives. Just to clarify, no publishing without my permission! I want to decide where it is mirrored to. And finally, thanks for your "voluntary" liking! :buehehe: 
Cheers, AstroSkipper

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

We can talk about your problems and error codes tomorrow. But one thing I can say: you probably missed a step of my guide or a step wasn't performed properly. If you have a fresh installation of XP, check step 14 and 15. So long! Good night! :boring:

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

At first, thanks for thinking about a backup solution in case of MSFN sites' inaccessibility!

Of course!  It's a big problem, because one can't count on the Wayback Machine to completely archive anything (it's particularly hit or miss with forums).

When creating of your html version is finished, please upload it i.e. your prototype and later your final version to Mediafire, for example, or any other hoster (but please a non Russian one) so that I can have a look into it!

I will!  And I guarantee that I will do my best to not (knowingly) use anything Russian.  I neither condone nor support the unprovoked and indiscriminate killing and destruction of a nation and its citizens...

Is DropBox OK with you?

And send me the download link only via PM! In any case I want to have it in form of a separate guide such as it is i.e. I don't want this guide to be included in these "all in one" packages.

I understand.  It was only an idea....

Anyway, we talked about a mirror! A package isn't one. It has to be a location all interested people can have access to. Furthermore there has to be a possibility for me to delete old and add new versions of this guide. I don't have a suitable mirror in mind yet but I will think about it. Maybe you can offer some alternatives. Just to clarify, no publishing without my permission! I want to decide where it is mirrored to.

Of course!  I don't want to make anything public without your permission and approval!  And it's your right to do whatever you want with it.  I only came up with the HTML version because I was bored and wanted something to do :)

And finally, thanks for your "voluntary" liking! :buehehe: 

Of course!

c

Edited by cc333

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

We can talk about your problems and error codes tomorrow. But one thing I can say: you probably missed a step of my guide or a step wasn't performed properly. If you have a fresh installation of XP, check step 14 and 15. So long! Good night! :boring:

i'm gonna follow your step (i'm already home)

Edited by LonghornXP

Is there a medium to restore the www.update.microsoft.com URL? It automatically redirect to fe2.update.microsoft.com!

A trick for that is working on Microsoft Windows 2000 but not on Microsoft Windows XP...

And on 2000, I have problems with www.update.microsoft.com... fe2 is working...

1 hour ago, WULover said:

Is there a medium to restore the www.update.microsoft.com URL? It automatically redirect to fe2.update.microsoft.com!

A trick for that is working on Microsoft Windows 2000 but not on Microsoft Windows XP...

And on 2000, I have problems with www.update.microsoft.com... fe2 is working...

I think there is something in your PC...