On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

7 hours ago, maile3241 said:

I found out something. If you add the IP address of fe2.update.microsoft.com in the hosts file, WU/MU can be called from the start menu in W2k, without redirection!

CVhYhfx.png

Interesting, I thought going to update.microsoft.com would just redirect to fe2.update.microsoft.com nowadays. :dubbio:

Does anyone achieve working in Windows Server 2003 or 2000? Why IE6 denies access to HTTPS with the proxy? What difference is there between UPX and NOUPX?

Edited by WinFX

1 hour ago, WinFX said:

Does anyone achieve working in Windows Server 2003 or 2000? Why IE6 denies access to HTTPS with the proxy? What difference is there between UPX and NOUPX?

The term UPX is a shorthand for the Ultimate Packer for eXecutables. @heinoganda had used this Ultimate Packer for eXecutables to generate exe files. Some Anti-virus scan engines (especially at VirusTotal) raised an alarm and erroneously reported that it would be malware. Therefore he had made a version without UPX too. So it's up to you what you want to use, the UPX or noUPX version.
I do not use Windows Server 2003 or 2000 but IE6 is presumably too old accessing https web sites successfully using ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy. Which proxy did you use? Afaik you have to run the proxy in your host system if your Win 2000 installation is in a VM. But @maile3241 could know that. He is a Win 2000 user too. Ask him! :D

spacer.png

It is a suicide error 0x80072f78, hours trying, configure config.ini as indicated, import the local computer certificate, install the 4 updates, IE8, activated TLS 1.2, posready 2009 hack, restore wu, rootusp202103, I have the open proxy, pfffff.....

But that demon of damn error does not stop appearing

15 minutes ago, WULover said:

Why www.update.microsoft.com isn't working with the trick?

These urls you have to use for accessing MU: 
 http://fe2.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en or http://fe2.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?g_sconsumersite=1
The url www.update.microsoft.com has to be listed under Trusted Zone with security level to high.

1 hour ago, WULover said:

I was talking about the post at the top of the page

Comments can generally only be understood as they were written.  In your case without any reference, therefore my answer is absolutely logical. Unfortunately, we are not clairvoyant! :yes:

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

What is "open proxy"? Please be a little more specific! If all is done completely, it'll work in Windows XP in any case. Did you really do any step of this guide? 

spacer.png

I have configured HTTPSproxy in this way

11 minutes ago, WinFX said:

I have configured HTTPSproxy in this way

This configuration looks fine. I can see in your screenshot a WU update notification shield. Is access to MU web site now working for you?

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

5 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

This configuration looks fine. I can see in your screenshot a WU update notification shield. Is access to MU web site now working for you?

It is not working, this shield is to configure the automatic updates.