On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

8 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

In my article "ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use" you will find the solution for error code 0x80072F8F. Look here and have fun:

Now I'm getting 0x80072F78

11 hours ago, WinGlass said:

Describe extensively what you have done so far! Normally if all instructions of both posts have been performed properly, you shouldn't have any error codes. Therefore you missed a step. Check all steps again!
PS: @WULover refers to these four updates:
KB4467770, KB4019276, KB4493435, KB94228-V3.
Install them again!

Edited by AstroSkipper

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

By the way my "Complete guide for restoring Microsoft Update in IE" as well as my "Final fix of error code 0x80072f8f while accessing WU or MU web site" are tested instructions and definitely complete. If all is done carefully and properly, it will work in any case. If not, then there is a problem in your installation generally.

Edited by AstroSkipper

7 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Describe extensively what you have done so far! Normally if all instructions of both posts have been performed properly, you shouldn't have any error codes. Therefore you missed a step. Check all steps again!
PS: @WULover refers to these four updates:
KB4467770, KB4019276, KB4493435, KB94228-V3.
Install them again!

Yeah you're right, I might have missed a step and maybe I didn't notice it. :P

But what I've done so far (in order):

1. After installing XP and installing VMWare Tools I updated the certifcates using Cert Updater or whatever it's called.

2. Then I upgraded IE to version 8

3. After that, I applied that POSReady .reg file

4. I installed those four updates and they installed successfully (and yes I did restart after installing and all went well)

5. Then I used the Restore_WU_XP_2003 thing and that dreadful Windows File Protection message popped up after that was done, I clicked Cancel on the box then I restarted and that was successful. :)

6. I opened the IE settings and did the following:

Did the thing that would stop IE from redirecting the Windows Update site infinitely, and yes I did set the Trusted Sites bar to the highest.

Unchecked all of the SSL and TLS options (except TLS 1.2, and yes I did "add" TLS 1.1 and 1.2 prior to this step).

And "Check for server certificate revocation" was already unchecked btw.

7. And then I installed the certificate for ProxHTTPSProxy (and after I tried ProxHTTPSProxy, I installed the one for ProxHTTPS), then I opened ProxHTTPSProxy and called up Windows Update and it errored out right when it checks for updates, and with ProxHTTPS, it errors as well but with a different error code. (And yes I did download the config files made by you I think).

(And fyi, I deleted the VM because I got annoyed eventually, when I get home I'll try again)

Edited by WinGlass
Typo on a word

1 hour ago, WinGlass said:

Yeah you're right, I might have missed a step and maybe I didn't notice it. :P

But what I've done so far (in order):

1. After installing XP and installing VMWare Tools I updated the certifcates using Cert Updater or whatever it's called.

2. Then I upgraded IE to version 8

3. After that, I applied that POSReady .reg file

4. I installed those four updates and they installed successfully (and yes I did restart after installing and all went well)

5. Then I used the Restore_WU_XP_2003 thing and that dreadful Windows File Protection message popped up after that was done, I clicked Cancel on the box then I restarted and that was successful. :)

6. I opened the IE settings and did the following:

Did the thing that would stop IE from redirecting the Windows Update site infinitely, and yes I did set the Trusted Sites bar to the highest.

Unchecked all of the SSL and TLS options (except TLS 1.2, and yes I did "add" TLS 1.1 and 1.2 prior to this step).

And "Check for server certificate revocation" was already unchecked btw.

7. And then I installed the cetifcate for ProxHTTPSProxy (and after I tried ProxHTTPSProxy, I installed the one for ProxHTTPS), then I opened ProxHTTPSProxy and called up Windows Update and it errored out right when it checks for updates, and with ProxHTTPS, it errors as well but with a different error code. (And yes I did download the config files made by you I think).

(And fyi, I deleted the VM because I got annoyed eventually, when I get home I'll try again)

If that is your complete list of performed steps, then some steps are missing there indeed. For example applying Tls 1.2.reg. installing latest Windows Update Agent 7.6 and so on. And what is ProxHTTPS? Maybe you mean HTTPSProxy. I recommend doing all steps again. Step by step, following my guide. And install ProxHTTPSProxy's or HTTPSProxy's generated root certificate in Trusted Root Certification Authority under account local computer. So, a lot to do. If you have questions relating to MU, ask in this thread. But if you come in trouble relating to one of these proxies, post your problem in my thread https://msfn.org/board/topic/183352-proxhttpsproxy-and-httpsproxy-in-windows-xp-for-future-use/

Regards, AstroSkipper :)

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

If that is your complete list of performed steps, then some steps are missing there indeed. For example applying Tls 1.2.reg. installing latest Windows Update Agent 7.6 and so on. And what is ProxHTTPS? Maybe you mean HTTPSProxy. I recommend doing all steps again. Step by step, following my guide. And install ProxHTTPSProxy's or HTTPSProxy's generated root certificate in Trusted Root Certification Authority under account local computer. So, a lot to do. If you have questions relating to MU, ask in this thread. But if you come in trouble relating to one of these proxies, post your problem in my thread https://msfn.org/board/topic/183352-proxhttpsproxy-and-httpsproxy-in-windows-xp-for-future-use/

Regards, AstroSkipper :)

I thought I did all of the steps but it appears I did not :P, and yes about the "ProxHTTPS" part I meant HTTPSProxy, I got mixed up. But thank you, when I get home soon I'll make a XP VM and I'll report back if I have succeeded or if I ran to a problem.

19 minutes ago, WinGlass said:

Some awesome news: I made an XP VM and I followed all the steps and HOLY CRAP I GOT IT WORKING!!! :cheerleader:

Screenshot: https://ibb.co/SBCGmNx

Great! Congratulations! You did it. :thumbup So, does that mean my posted guides have helped you? If so, I would be pleased about any reaction to my guides by liking or upvoting. Cheers! :)

2 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Great! Congratulations! You did it. :thumbup So, does that mean my posted guides have helped you? If so, I would be pleased about any reaction to my guides by liking or upvoting. Cheers! :)

Thanks, and yes it helped me a lot, and I will upvote it. :)

I found out something. If you add the IP address of fe2.update.microsoft.com in the hosts file, WU/MU can be called from the start menu in W2k, without redirection!

CVhYhfx.png

Edited by maile3241