On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

5 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

I don't necessarily trust CD's modified like that

Of course you have to know where your installation iso is from. You should trust your source in any case or you have to create your own CD. It's not a big thing!

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

The best way to install Windows XP is to use an image of a working XP partition using Redeploy by Macrium Reflect or similar programs such as Aomei Backupper. In this case you have an universal medium which can be installed to any computers, and you are always up to date. No need of installing tons of programs and updates.

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

I can confirm that this method does not work on Windows 2000 without extended kernel due to nginx requiring NT5.1. I wonder if someone can find an NT5.0 version. If not, I will continue development of my 2000 version.

EDIT: It does work on 2000 with extended kernel.

Edited by xpandvistafan

20 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Of course you have to know where your installation iso is from. You should trust your source in any case or you have to create your own CD. It's not a big thing!

I don't understand why people need WU website for updating, when OnePiece Update Packs exist, which makes it much easier to update? If someone can explain to me, thanks!

1 hour ago, ExtremeGrief said:

I don't understand why people need WU website for updating, when OnePiece Update Packs exist, which makes it much easier to update? If someone can explain to me, thanks!

Ok, I will try it. At first you are absolutely right. Update Packs are very useful, especially if you are offline or an internet connection can't be established. I used them too in the past. But sometimes they don't do their job properly, and moreover it can happen that some updates are missing. Only by connecting to MU or WU you can check easily whether an update is missing or not. For me a very good method to find out that an installation is complete and really up to date or not. In any case the best way to install or reinstall Windows has been described by me in post above: 

21 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

The best way to install Windows XP is to use an image of a working XP partition using Redeploy by Macrium Reflect or similar programs such as Aomei Backupper. In this case you have an universal medium which can be installed to any computers, and you are always up to date. No need of installing tons of programs and updates.

The feature "Redeploy" means installing this special image system-independent. :)

PS: By the way OnePiece Update Packs are great and I do recommend them too. And they exist in a lot of languages. I've got a German version in my private archive, just to be safe.

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

12 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Ok, I will try it. At first you are absolutely right. Update Packs are very useful, especially if you are offline or an internet connection can't be established. I used them too in the past. But sometimes they don't do their job properly, and moreover it can happen that some updates are missing. Only by connecting to MU or WU you can check easily whether an update is missing or not. For me a very good method to find out that an installation is complete and really up to date or not. In any case the best way to install or reinstall Windows has been described by me in post above: 

The feature "Redeploy" means installing this special image system-independent. :)

PS: By the way OnePiece Update Packs are great and I do recommend them too. And they exist in a lot of languages. I've got a German version in my private archive, just to be safe.

OnePiece Update Packs contain all updates released for XP and PosReady.

17 minutes ago, ExtremeGrief said:

OnePiece Update Packs contain all updates released for XP and PosReady.

I do not trust these statements. I am mathematician and I have to check by myself, to analyze and to be sure that all is done in the way I wanted to.

PS: Of course for a lot of users these Update Packs are the most simple way of updating and often sufficient.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

4 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

For me, updating through MU/WU is the easiest way as you. I really never expected to see that the Windows Update webpage can be accessed through the ProxHTTPSroxy way, thanks to you @AstroSkipper and @maile3241 :)!

We must not forget the credits to @xpandvistafan. But anyway, you're welcome and thanks for your nice comment!

WUMT is not a neccesary component. It is simply provided as a more convenient method of troubleshooting. If you configure the automatic updates setting (to anything other than "don't check") in control panel, you will get update notifications in your system tray/shutdown menu.

I in fact recommend that one does not use wumt for normal usage, as it can be confusing for some and does not accomplish anything that the usual tray icon does not.

48 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I do not trust these statements. I am mathematician and I have to check by myself, to analyze and to be sure that all is done in the way I wanted to.

PS: Of course for a lot of users these Update Packs are the most simple way of updating and often sufficient.

And of course the other reason we've been trying to get Windows/Microsoft Update working again, is because we can!
OK, it's pretty useless now to anyone who has a fully up to date and patched system, but that still doesn't mean that it hasn't been fun to unexpectedly see it working again.
We all know that Microsoft could shut the whole thing down at any time with no notice, and that will be an end to it, in fact I'm surprised the websites still work now, but let's enjoy the achievement of getting the system up and running again!
:D

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

And of course the other reason we've been trying to get Windows/Microsoft Update working again, is because we can!
OK, it's pretty useless now to anyone who has a fully up to date and patched system, but that still doesn't mean that it hasn't been fun to unexpectedly see it working again.
We all know that Microsoft could shut the whole thing down at any time with no notice, and that will be an end to it, in fact I'm surprised the websites still work now, but let's enjoy the achievement of getting the system up and running again!
:D

Correct! Microsoft supposedly wanted the website gone from public access last year on April 27. But it seems they have kept the website, maybe for companies with custom support agreements for XP. 

@xpandvistafan I found a compatible ProxhttpsProxy version running on W2k without extended kernel. Unfortunately I get the error code 0x80072F05. Another problem is that the SHA1 certificate expired in 2010.

Link to ProxhttpsProxy: https://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1618

BnIFXY9.png

dNPnsH3.png

Edited by maile3241

On 3/4/2022 at 12:19 PM, maile3241 said:

I found a compatible ProxhttpsProxy version running on W2k without extended kernel. Unfortunately I get the error code 0x80072F05. Another problem is that the SHA1 certificate expired in 2010.

Link to ProxhttpsProxy: https://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1618

This is the version of ProxHTTPSProxy which was originally created by "whenever" for Proxomitron as a SSL Helper Program. This isn't a modified version of @heinoganda. Proxomitron issued this certificate for ProxHTTPSProxy. You have to let Proxomitron generate a new one. Anyway I don't think it will work as a replacement for @heinoganda's ProxHTTPSProxy.

PS: @heinoganda did a lot of modifications to get it working. Therefore without him probably a "mission impossible".

Edited by AstroSkipper