On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

@WULover This thread is a support thread about Microsoft Update (MU) or Windows Update (WU).  So we have reached a point where everything regarding hardware extensions is unfortunately off-topic.  If you have further questions relating to your hardware, you must open your own thread with a topic of your choice. Here we can only discuss problems accessing MU. I hope I could help you and if so, I would be pleased about any reactions. Kind regards :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

On 3/1/2022 at 10:06 PM, maile3241 said:

A user on mdl found another way to access the page: Restore Windows Update for Vista

I haven't tried it yet.

I correct:

I tried this method now and it works perfectly. You don't even need ProxhttpsProxy! It even works with IE6! Without additional updates.

@WULover Try that.

apwtGH6.png

Edited by maile3241

I can't actually read the MDL post as I'm not a member there, but the link says it's for Vista.
Can I assume from the screenshots that it works on XP as well, whatever it is?
:dubbio:

2 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I can't actually read the MDL post as I'm not a member there, but the link says it's for Vista.
Can I assume from the screenshots that it works on XP as well, whatever it is?

The creator posted it in the wrong topic but it's for Xp.

43 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Ah, understood!
Is this a simpler and easier procedure than the one outlined here by @AstroSkipper ?

Correct. It would be an alternative when the CPU does not support SSE2. Nevertheless, I recommend the variant of @AstroSkipper .Unfortunately it currently only works with Windows Update and not Microsoft Update as there is no patched file for it yet. I have already informed the author about this.

Edited by maile3241

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Is this a simpler and easier procedure than the one outlined here by @AstroSkipper ?

I think the more the better. Now we have three working methods to access MU or WU.
1. WSUS server + WUMT method 
2. Method using ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy + patch made by @Windows7fan
3. Method using Windows Update website patch based on nginx for XP Service Pack 3 
Absolutely great! And as @maile3241 already said the third method works with CPUs lacking SSE2 instruction set. By the way the first one too. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

1 minute ago, Dave-H said:

Yes indeed, the more the merrier!
Option 1 has never worked for me, Option 2 does work as you know, Option 3 I don't know enough about.
:)

I haven't tested Option 3 in my system (no need to do) but Option 1 works perfectly too such as Option 2. What's the problem with WSUS server + WUMT in your system?

WUMT unless scanning offline using a wsusscn2.cab file only ever produced error messages for me, or scanned forever without ever finding anything.
It also wiped my update history at one point, which is why I've never tried using it again!
Fortunately I had a backup.

6 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

It also wiped my update history at one point, which is why I've never tried using it again!
Fortunately I had a backup.

Yes, you have to use two DataStore.edb files, one for WSUS server and one for MU web site. One for all didn't work in my system either.

16 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

WUMT unless scanning offline using a wsusscn2.cab file only ever produced error messages for me, or scanned forever without ever finding anything.

I assume it depends on the version of wsusscn2.cab file you have used for offline scanning. My version is of 11/12/2019 and works like a charme.

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition