On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

18 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I've looked at that registry key, and unfortunately it's a date where I can't tell whether it's in American format or the sensible format that the rest of the world uses.

paste the value here. We can examine by the punctuation, maybe :)

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

I've looked at that registry key, and unfortunately it's a date where I can't tell whether it's in American format or the sensible format that the rest of the world uses.
Do you know which it is? I'm guessing US format, but just wanted to be sure.

@Dave-H A little correction. I meant registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate and there the value of LastRestorePointSetTime. Here is my value: 2019-04-12 13:45:09. You see it's your English format. Try the point in time you have there first! Then you may try other points in time. The method "Turning back time" can mean to go back one year or one day. You just have to try out. It's trial and error. Maybe it works.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Our Internet Options Advanced tabs are actually the same, sorry I had a "senior moment" there!
Both the 'Use HTTP 1.0' options are checked.

I'll forgive you due to your "senior moment". But where is the 'Use HTTP 1.0' option? I have only these entries: Use HTTP 1.1 and the Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections. If there wasn't both entries it had to be assumed that your Internet Explorer was not properly installed or is faulty. Anyway, look at last post of me above to download screenshots of my services in better quality. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

This is what the registry entry looks like.

Clipboard-1.png.62736bc20fa226a622835627b3d710cd.png

So is that 3rd October or 10th March?
:dubbio:

Here are my services.

Services.txt

I went through them many years ago using the guide here (now much reformatted from when I used it!)
I put them on the settings which seemed to be the most efficient. I did have to modify a few subsequently of course, but they've been as they are now for years and everything worked fine, including Microsoft Update.

Please do let me have your versions of the missing certificates, one (or more) of them could be the answer of course. Although someone here a while ago said that it wasn't a good idea to use someone else's certificates on your system, I'm happy to give it a try!
:yes:

15 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

So is that 3rd October or 10th March?

Of course the 10th of March 2021. I'll send you missing certificates as soon as possible. I think they aren't unique, only made for my system. They are from Microsoft. And try method "Turning back time" at all costs!

everything worked fine, including Microsoft Update

But now Microsoft Update isn' t working anymore. You have to check all including status of all services. And please send me your screenshots listed by ServiWin. Comparing with help of your log file is too tiring.

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

@Dave-H Requested certs have been sent via PM. And give your ProxHTTPSProxy a second chance by installing original certificate in program folder. For this purpose apply ProxHTTPS Cert Install.exe. Maybe your generated HTTPSProxy CA certificate is problematic when you try to connect to MU. You know my HTTPSProxy CA certificate has a different timestamp. And don't forget to close HTTPSProxy by clicking exit in systray menu if using ProxHTTPSProxy.  :rolleyes:

Edited by AstroSkipper

OK, I tried moving the clock to 10th March 2021 17:25:01, exactly an hour after my LastRestorePointSetTime entry.
Microsoft Update then wouldn't load at all, error 0x80072F05.
Rebooted, tried again, same result.
Set the clock back to normal, back to the clock time error again, same after another reboot.
Here are my services, have fun wading through all those!

Clipboard-1.thumb.png.74afbfc16bddacef4192bd185a133fb9.png

Clipboard-2.thumb.png.27c63d9e82833ae30cd47205723c646d.png

Clipboard-3.thumb.png.5ae7f3959ecbe82a781f3a80194c31b2.png

:)

4 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

@Dave-H Requested certs have been sent via PM. And give your ProxHTTPSProxy a second chance by installing original certificate in program folder. For this purpose apply ProxHTTPS Cert Install.exe. Maybe your generated HTTPSProxy CA certificate is problematic when you try to connect to MU. You know my HTTPSProxy CA certificate has a different timestamp. :rolleyes:

I haven't even got ProxHTTPSProxy installed any more.
I like HTTPSProxy so much better I will carry on using it now!
I did that exact test with ProxHTTPSProxy earlier on, restoring the original certificate it came with. It made no difference.
Got the certificates, I'll let you know how it goes with them!

@Dave-H The idea was only showing Microsoft system services in window of ServiWin sorted by company. Please new screenshots! :buehehe: And you may and should stay at HTTPSProxy but you know you can have both. They are portable and have their own certificates. We have fixed a lot in your system, maybe something has changed and ProxHTTPSProxy is now working you'll never notice. It's just a game called trial and error. :yes:

PS I don't know how you usually start ProxHTTPSProxy but it has to be started by ProxHTTPSProxy_PSwitch.exe to let it change proxy settings automatically.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

I tried your certificates, and they installed (using the automatic destination determination process) into the Intermediate Certification Authorities list.
I assume that's the right place for them.
No difference I'm afraid. :no:
I'll have another go with ProxHTTPSProxyMII in "out of the box" condition.
As you say, you "never know".

@Dave-H And I've taken a short look at your status of system services. Three system services are absolutely important for MU: bits, wuauserv and cryptsvc. These services should be started and set to automatic. So please set bits and cryptsvc to automatic! And truth be told you should have seen that. :dubbio:

Short explanation: not all services could be started if they are set to manual only. Even your web site https://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-xp-x86-32-bit-service-pack-3-service-configurations/ has a recommended setting of automatic (started) for service cryptsvc. And in my screenshots too. Maybe bits works with mode manual too, seems to be standard but in my system I've set it to automatic. By the way thanks for this interesting link! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

OK, I tried moving the clock to 10th March 2021 17:25:01, exactly an hour after my LastRestorePointSetTime entry.
Microsoft Update then wouldn't load at all, error 0x80072F05.
Rebooted, tried again, same result.
Set the clock back to normal, back to the clock time error again, same after another reboot.

Maybe set your regional settings to US date format, reboot, and try MU again?

Then switch back to UK (or whatever you use) and check MU.

1 hour ago, RainyShadow said:

Maybe set your regional settings to US date format, reboot, and try MU again?

Then switch back to UK (or whatever you use) and check MU.

I don't believe that this has an effect. In my system I have same date and time format in this key although my regional settings have been set to German DE and nonetheless MU is working flawlessly.
@Dave-H Any news? Does changing services mode have any effect? Here is another change to Internet Options of IE, Advanced: unselect "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" too. Note: in my system it is selected at the moment. The entry "Check for server certificate revocation" should already be unselected in any case.

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

Yes, I would be very surprised if changing the date format would make any difference, as there are people using the "non-US" format with it working fine.
Changing the three services' startup mode hasn't changed anything.
Only the BITS service wasn't running anyway. All three are on "Automatic" now and are starting fine.
Glad you found the link interesting!
PS Unchecking "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" hasn't made any difference.
:no: