On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

Of course, I had forgotten that you were still running both HTTPSProxy versions.
Is 45kb the limit on the size of each file, or an overall limit?
Surely not the latter!
Being a moderator I have more space that others, but I can't remember what the normal limits are.

As an aside, now I've got it configured properly with the launcher, I'm really liking HTTPSProxy.
Is there any reason to use ProxHTTPSProxyMII instead of it?
If not, I will probably carry on using it!
:yes:

21 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Is 45kb the limit on the size of each file, or an overall limit?
Surely not the latter!

As far as I can see it is an overall limit. At the beginning of posting here I had an overall limit of 512 kb. I don't understand the reducing. Maybe you can find out what the upload size limit is and why it has been reduced.

I see in commenting zone Max total size: 45.22 kb. Will it be resetted daily or weekly or never?

21 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Is there any reason to use ProxHTTPSProxyMII instead of it?

No, only for testing. HTTPSProxy is more comfortable, isn't it? Did you update cacert.pem? I hope so.

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

6 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

As far as I can see it is an overall limit. At the beginning of posting here I had an overall limit of 512 kb. I don't understand the reducing. Maybe you can find out what the upload size limit is and why it has been reduced.

Go to this page https://msfn.org/board/attachments/

You can remove old uploads to free some space.

For images it is better to use external sites though. I normally use imgur.

4 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

Thanks a lot! I will do that. Could not find any documents about posting and upload limits in this forum.

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

10 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Present and correct, as are all the other relevant registry entries.
Test websites show TLS 1.2 working.

The version of both is 7.6.7600.256 dated 02 June 2012 size 1.83MB.
That matches the version in Restore_WU_XP.

I'm using the one you posted here.

Yes, just the three are there.

It's set to the "High" setting with no modifications. I will now try with other settings later on.

All cleared, including History this time!

No difference, still error 0x80072F8F.
:(

Compare my settings with yours. If necessary, reset the values to default. After reset activate Tls 1.2 again.

Screenshot 2022-01-31 095948.png

50 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

I have 3 vms running on my pc. Would it be possible to run ProxhttpsProxy outside of the vms so that you don't have to open the program individually in the vms?

I do not run vms in my system. My Windows XP Professional is non virtual but a real one. Maybe you ask one who is running vms too. As I said some posts above there is no need to run ProxhttpsProxy in most cases. Nevertheless I think it should be possible to run one instance in your basic system if supported to provide a HTTPSProxy connection for a vm. Maybe there is a possibility to configure your vm to use this basic HTTPSProxy connection. But just a guess! Never done before!

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

19 hours ago, Dave-H said:

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; Trident/4.0; Sky Broadband; BTRS111060; chromeframe/32.0.1700.107; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; BRI/2)

There's something unusual in the User Agent of your IE8. It is changed by some tools. It should start like that:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0;

and not like that:

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; Trident/4.0;

The server reads the User Agent and then may provide some IE9 compatible JavaScript code which cannot be properly executed by IE8 JS engine. Just guessing...

Do you know why the User Agent is changed? Is is caused by some add-on in your IE or by the proxy?

6 hours ago, maile3241 said:

Compare my settings with yours. If necessary, reset the values to default. After reset activate Tls 1.2 again.

Screenshot 2022-01-31 095948.png

OK, I still had TLS 1.1 enabled, but that was the only difference.
I've reset it and set it up the same as yours now, but it hasn't changed anything.

Clipboard-1.png.346306e8dd490d5f80759fa3e1f83f30.png

I'm slightly puzzled as to why your window is labelled "Internet Options" and mine is labelled "Internet Properties".
:dubbio:

1 hour ago, Usher said:

There's something unusual in the User Agent of your IE8. It is changed by some tools. It should start like that:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0;

and not like that:

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; Trident/4.0;

The server reads the User Agent and then may provide some IE9 compatible JavaScript code which cannot be properly executed by IE8 JS engine. Just guessing...

Do you know why the User Agent is changed? Is is caused by some add-on in your IE or by the proxy?

That's puzzling, I certainly haven't knowingly done anything to change the user agent.
I can't think that any of the add-ons I've got would do it either.
I did use Chrome Frame on IE8 for a while, but can't imagine that would change the Mozilla version number!
Perhaps the proxy is doing it?

5 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

That's puzzling, I certainly haven't knowingly done anything to change the user agent.
I can't think that any of the add-ons I've got would do it either.
I did use Chrome Frame on IE8 for a while, but can't imagine that would change the Mozilla version number!
Perhaps the proxy is doing it?

I actually had a problem with Chrome Frame in W2k. After that, Internet Explorer stopped working properly. Try uninstalling Chrome Frame.

52 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

I actually had a problem with Chrome Frame in W2k. After that, Internet Explorer stopped working properly. Try uninstalling Chrome Frame.

@Dave-H I totally agree to @maile3241. You have to uninstall Chrome Frame for testing purpose. I do not have Chrome Frame installed in my system. And restore your original user agent (maybe Chrome Frame is the causer).

I'm slightly puzzled as to why your window is labelled "Internet Options" and mine is labelled "Internet Properties".

Maybe it is another version of IE or screenshot taken from Win 2000. So it doesn't matter. In Internet Explorer 8 it is labeled "Internet Options".

Edited by AstroSkipper

Chrome Frame is disabled of course, but I will actually uninstall it just to make sure.
I was always very impressed with it, it enabled many sites to still work on IE8, even things like online banking sites, which I never thought would ever work again!
Of course I was only playing with it, I had long ago given up using IE8 for any serious browsing!
:D

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; Trident/4.0; Sky Broadband; BTRS111060; chromeframe/32.0.1700.107; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; BRI/2)

"Sky Broadband;" => Why/how would your ISP modify your IE UA? 

"BTRS111060;" => origin of this?

"chromeframe/32.0.1700.107;" => as others advised, uninstall completely and restart the OS!

"BRI/2" => origin of this?

The rest look benign, related to Microsoft Office and installed versions of .NET Framework (1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0)

11 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

@Dave-H So with the help of @RainyShadow (Thanks once again!) I found out that I have an overall size limit for uploading of 1.95 MB and a Max total size of 512 KB. Truth be told these limits would have been fantastic in year 1985 if there had been an internet but in this day and age unsuitable and counterproductive to help people by uploading screenshots. Therefore I've removed all attachments substituted by links and follow the advise of @RainyShadow using imgur for image uploads. For other files I'll use a hoster. Attachments only in case of emergency or size is not exceeding 1 byte! :(

@Dave-H Any news about getting rid of error code 0x80072f8f?

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition