On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

@Dave-H I found a comment to error code 0x801901F6

I would venture a guess that either your Windows XP machine is not properly configured to use a required proxy server, or the proxy server is not properly configured to handle the requirements of using Windows Update.

The first step will be identifying what device is causing this error.

I think you have connection errors due to proxy misconfiguration or incorrect use.

Try following after command line prompt: proxycfg

If HTTPSProxy is disabled it should look like this:

https://imgur.com/od7GPHJ

"Direktzugriff <kein Proxyserver>" means "Direct access <no proxy server>".

If it doesn't look like that then enter proxycfg -u

And check your HOSTS file to make sure you don't have any static IP entries for the Microsoft/Windows Update web site listed in the file.

Here what Germans say if they get in trouble translated for you:

It always gets worse before it gets better. :angry:

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

12 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

@Dave-H Here two screenshots how HTTPSProxy has to look if it is switched on:

1869789332_HTTPSProxyOn(1)(FILEminimizer).jpg.39c25cfe7fed6bac574dc340e62b6f91.jpg

1879775592_HTTPSProxyOn(2)(FILEminimizer).jpg.5ebe6e212edc17fa181b70be6ee96b96.jpg

Does it look like that? :dubbio:

I'm not seeing any of that, presumably because I'm running HTTPSProxy.exe directly, which just gives a console.
If I'm supposed to be using launcher.exe, that doesn't work for some reason.
Al that happens is my Notepad substitute, Notetab, runs and I get an icon in the taskbar which only relates to that.
It doesn't run HTTPSProxy.

Clipboard-1.thumb.png.bc6b9e131f753be1f66328f968e5626b.png

:dubbio:

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

@Dave-H I found a comment to error code 0x801901F6

I think you have connection errors due to proxy misconfiguration or incorrect use.

Try following after command line prompt: proxycfg

If HTTPSProxy is disabled it should look like this:

proxycfg.jpg.4cdbcf6219d5b9ef146c85949081179c.jpg

"Direktzugriff <kein Proxyserver>" means "Direct access <no proxy server>".

If it doesn't look like that then enter proxycfg -u

And check your HOSTS file to make sure you don't have any static IP entries for the Microsoft/Windows Update web site listed in the file.

Here what Germans say if they get in trouble translated for you:

It always gets worse before it gets better. :angry:

Proxycfg looks fine here, I've checked its configuration several times.

Clipboard-2.png.9e3ae810246485f6aab95441a72ad0a4.png

There's nothing related to Windows or Microsoft Update in my HOSTS file.
:)

6 hours ago, maile3241 said:

It's correct. Unfortunately, all updates are required for the Extended Kernel. So it doesn't make much sense.

Actually, only 7 updates are required for the extended kernel. I got 74 high priority updates while searching.

19 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

Which are they?

Install these five updates in the order specified, http://i430vx.net/files/Win2k/Get working winupdate/ and then go back a directory and get install KernelEx 3.0e. It will install the 2 remaining updates. After that, you will install the Windows Update Agent 7.6 with the instructions specified further back in this thread.

Edited by xpandvistafan

OK, I've fixed the launcher problem.
Bothering the read its help file would have helped! :blushing:
I didn't realise you needed to specify the program you want it to run in its shortcut.
How strange that it runs notepad by default if you don't though!

34 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

OK, I've fixed the launcher problem.
Bothering the read its help file would have helped! :blushing:
I didn't realise you needed to specify the program you want it to run in its shortcut.
How strange that it runs notepad by default if you don't though!

@Dave-H Ok, reading instructions and manuals before using a new program is mandatory. In program folder of HTTPSProxy you have to pull HTTPSProxy.exe on top of launcher.exe using left mouse button to start program in SysTray. And I hope you have installed only one HTTPSProxy CA and cleaned up your Certs folder. Furthermore update cacert.pem by clicking entry in SysTray menu. But I need more answers. I asked you a lot. What about your firewall?. Check out all!. Your screenshot of proxycfg looks as it should be. That's fine. What's going on with your Windows Update Log file? And so on. Inform me completely if you want get rid of these errors! And please upload a readable log file! :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

Well, got Windows 2000 fully patched using the method we found yesterday. Unfortunately, I had to scour the internet to find the files I needed. But soon there will be an all in one kit similar to the one I released for XP SP3 and Server 2003 (untested for 2003). spacer.png

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

@Dave-H Ok, reading instructions and manuals before using a new program is mandatory. In program folder of HTTPSProxy you have to pull HTTPSProxy.exe on top of launcher.exe using left mouse button to start program in SysTray. And I hope you have installed only one HTTPSProxy CA and cleaned up your Certs folder. Furthermore update cacert.pem by clicking entry in SysTray menu. But I need more answers. I asked you a lot. What about your firewall?. Check out all!. Your screenshot of proxycfg looks as it should be. That's fine. What's going on with your Windows Update Log file? And so on. Inform me completely if you want get rid of these errors! And please upload a readable log file! :yes:

Yes, I'm afraid I am often guilty of being one of those delusional people who think they don't need to read the instructions that come with things!
Anyway, it's all understood now. I think it was the running of notepad which really threw me, but of course it says in the instructions that's exactly what it does if you don't specify a target program!

Anyway, it seems to be all working fine now, and my system now matches yours as far as HTTPSProxy goes.
:yes:
I am only using the standard Windows Firewall, and I have said OK to all the popups about allowing things through it.
I did notice that before Microsoft Update fails to load, there is an error icon at the bottom left corner of IE8.
It contains -

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; Trident/4.0; Sky Broadband; BTRS111060; chromeframe/32.0.1700.107; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; BRI/2)
Timestamp: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 17:45:28 UTC

Line: 590
Char: 17
Code: 0
URI: http://fe2.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/shared/js/redirect.js?637791615008267454

Possibly some help?

Sorry about the state of my WindowsUpdate.log file, I only looked at the end of it, but now I see the rest is totally scrambled!
I had an unexplained freeze and reboot yesterday, which may well have caused the corruption, although why it would i don't know, as I wouldn't have thought that the file would have been loaded when it happened, but perhaps it's a file that's always loaded.
It looks like it got mixed up with the Windows Search information.

Anyway, here's a new "clean" one!

WindowsUpdate.log

18 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Yes, I'm afraid I am often guilty of being one of those delusional people who think they don't need to read the instructions that come with things!
Anyway, it's all understood now. I think it was the running of notepad which really threw me, but of course it says in the instructions that's exactly what it does if you don't specify a target program!

Anyway, it seems to be all working fine now, and my system now matches yours as far as HTTPSProxy goes.
:yes:
I am only using the standard Windows Firewall, and I have said OK to all the popups about allowing things through it.
I did notice that before Microsoft Update fails to load, there is an error icon at the bottom left corner of IE8.
It contains -

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; Trident/4.0; Sky Broadband; BTRS111060; chromeframe/32.0.1700.107; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; BRI/2)
Timestamp: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 17:45:28 UTC

Line: 590
Char: 17
Code: 0
URI: http://fe2.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/shared/js/redirect.js?637791615008267454

Possibly some help?

Sorry about the state of my WindowsUpdate.log file, I only looked at the end of it, but now I see the rest is totally scrambled!
I had an unexplained freeze and reboot yesterday, which may well have caused the corruption, although why it would i don't know, as I wouldn't have thought that the file would have been loaded when it happened, but perhaps it's a file that's always loaded.
It looks like it got mixed up with the Windows Search information.

Anyway, here's a new "clean" one!

WindowsUpdate.log 4.49 kB · 1 download

I also get the website error. This does not affect the function.

@Dave-H Ok, thanks for more details! But I don't know your last received error code. You didn't mention. One thing is clear. Your system has become more similar to mine which can be seen in your log:

2022-01-30    18:12:42:328    1864    cd8    Misc      = Module: D:\WIN-NT\system32\wuaueng.dll
2022-01-30    18:12:42:328    1864    cd8    Service    *************
2022-01-30    18:12:42:328    1864    cd8    Service    ** START **  Service: Service startup
2022-01-30    18:12:42:328    1864    cd8    Service    *********
2022-01-30    18:12:42:343    1864    cd8    Agent      * WU client version 7.6.7600.256
2022-01-30    18:12:42:343    1864    cd8    Agent      * Base directory: D:\WIN-NT\SoftwareDistribution
2022-01-30    18:12:42:343    1864    cd8    Agent      * Access type: No proxy
2022-01-30    18:12:42:343    1864    cd8    Agent      * Network state: Connected

But here is your problem:

2022-01-30    18:14:23:468     576    65c    Misc    WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for https://www.update.microsoft.com/v11/3/legacy/windowsupdate/selfupdate/wuident.cab: error 0x801901f6

So your error code still seems to be 0x801901f6. My guess is that something interferes the download of wuident.cab. Disable Malwarebytes and your internal firewall before accessing MU. Then provide error code and log!

I think we are close to solve it. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

Nothing changes with the Malwarebytes scanners and the Windows Firewall switched off.

:no:

WindowsUpdate.log

HTTPSProxy console has -

088 [R][D] "GET https://fe2.update.microsoft.com/v11/3/legacy/windowsupdate/selfupdate/wuident.cab?2201301850" HTTPSConnectionPool(host='fe2.update.microsoft.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /v11/3/legacy/windowsupdate/selfupdate/wuident.cab?2201301850 (Caused by SSLError(SSLError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:600)'),))

:dubbio: