On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

41 minutes ago, D.Draker said:
For revoked Certificate Update "rvkroots.exe" Microsoft download (http://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=41542), unzip to a folder (e.g. with WinRAR). In "rvkroots.inf" the entry in the string VERSION should be changed to "5,0,2195,0" and the VER entry changed to "005". The next step is download the "http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/disallowedcert.sst" and paste the unzipped folder and replace older file. Then with e.g. (Create Self-Extracting Archive) WinRAR all files in the folder to an archive option SFX with the following comment:
TempMode
Silent=1
Overwrite=1
Setup=Rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection rvkroots.inf,DefaultInstall

pack and you have a current update for blocking unsafe Certificates!

The link above works for me.

Sorry, that was my error, I edited my post when I realised.
I was looking for disallowedcerts.sst as I thought that's what the file was called!
:blushing:

1 hour ago, ExtremeGrief said:

Why not merge them?

@ExtremeGrief I could do that but I didn't. If you want to merge it's up to you. I did it my way as Frankie Boy would say (or better sing). Don't say other people what they should, could or have to do. If you want to do it "better" do it by your own! :o

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

15 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

This dllcache folder does not exist!

@maile3241 A normal Windows XP Professional system has a folder to backup system files to restore them. This is the dllcache folder. In most systems c:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\. I really don't know  what kind of system you have. In my dllcache folder there are currently 3426 files. If this folder doesn't exist in your system create one and copy your patched dll into. No more I can say. But you didn't mention if now SFC is disabled and copying of wuaueng.dll is working after this long procedure. Oh @Dave-H is right. Probably you have hidden your system files. Change it in explorer.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

1 minute ago, AstroSkipper said:

@maile3241 A normal Windows XP Professional system has a folder to backup system files to restore them. This is the dllcache folder. In most systems c:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\. I really don't know  what kind of system you have. In my dllcache folder there are currently 3426 files. If this folder doesn't exist in your system create one and copy your patched dll into. No more I can say. But you didn't mention if now SFC is disabled and copying of wuaueng.dll is working after this long procedure.

I can call up the folder via cmd but explorer doesn't show it.

8 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

The link to HTTPSProxy here is dead.

@Dave-H I know and that for a long time. And therefore I asked you if I were allowed to upload HTTPSProxy due to the fact that @Thomas S. hadn't been here for a long time and he is the author. What do you think? You are a Super Moderator and I think you'll know if I am allowed to or not.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

6 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

@Dave-H I know and that for a long time. And therefore I asked you if I were allowed to upload HTTPSProxy due to the fact that @Thomas S. hadn't been here for a long time and he is the author. What do you think?

I can't imagine that would be any problem, but if in doubt you could always attach it to a PM.
:)