On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

1 minute ago, XPerceniol said:

Okaaay...

So, I updated the 6 updates and everything went well (keeping my fingers crossed) and I'm told to restart my computer.

Here I go - wish me luck :)

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
:yes:

Thanks, Dave, everything seems to be fine - last time I ran it there are not more updates so i guess I'm good to go. I actually think those were sort of trivial though, somehow I missed them over the years, perhaps.

I was quite shocked myself, actually.

I (again) enabled DCOM Server Process Launcher (why its relies on that, I'm unsure) and ran the application and apparently somehow it 'detected' that I needed those 6 updates this morning (now, zero). However, it included some 64bit versions that (obviously) I do not require.

It fetched the following:

unsure.thumb.JPG.810cd93afe71d0df6e0a28b397fef144.JPG

So you say wsusscn2.cab shouldn't work; I don't know??

For some reason, I didn't have the correct Windows Update Agent installed (now that brought me up to (wuauclt 7.4.7600.226 winmain_wtr_wsus3sp2(wmbla).090806-1834), so I just did that and enabled everything on my system (which I've not done in ages) and let the computer (try to) do its 'thing'. All that resulted was the security center (red shield) nagging me that I don't have antivirus - likely hoping to detect MSE or something. I restarted a few times and left it running most of the day and now I'm back with (practically) all services disabled (how I prefer it).

So.. again, not sure what that accomplished. Perhaps I need "professional help" - regarding the computer issue ... of course. Ha!

Enjoy your day/evening all, and I'll be back in May :)

Edited by XPerceniol

12 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

@Dave-H A little OT, but does XP’s security center regard Malwarebytes Premium as an antivirus? (I know that Malwarebytes Free does not register in Vista’s security center.)

Yes it does.

Image1.jpg.005487283313792fe665d24699f9cfb9.jpg

:yes:

On 4/30/2021 at 2:04 PM, Dave-H said:

Is the Microsoft Catalogue actually working for you?

Microsoft Catalog still works, but almost all updates described as "Security update for Windows XP" only have been removed from the list. You can find updates for drivers, dotnet, IE8, Windows Media, XP Embedded, POSReady, Windows Server 2003 and XP…

4 minutes ago, Usher said:

Microsoft Catalog still works, but almost all updates described as "Security update for Windows XP" only have been removed from the list.

Yes, sadly so.
I was asking XPerceniol if the catalogue was actually working for them, as they had said that it was "empty".
I don't think they realised that the home page of the catalogue does look pretty empty until you actually search for something!
:)

12 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

@Dave-H A little OT, but does XP’s security center regard Malwarebytes Premium as an antivirus? (I know that Malwarebytes Free does not register in Vista’s security center.)

The free version that I use does not register in XP's security center neither.

I suspect that's because the free version of Malwarebytes does not offer realtime scanning, whereas the premium paid version does.
The Windows XP Security Center probably only recognises realtime scanner programs as being AV programs.
:)

Luckily the other day I archived a bunch of old Catalog Updates such as Windows XP Service Pack 2,  XP Service Pack 3, Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Windows XP Service Pack 1, etc.  

7 hours ago, xpandvistafan said:

Luckily the other day I archived a bunch of old Catalog Updates such as Windows XP Service Pack 2,  XP Service Pack 3, Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Windows XP Service Pack 1, etc.  

Service Packs are still available.