On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

OK, I'm beginning to think that my problem is perhaps because my update history is too large?
:dubbio:
My datastore.edb file is 134MB, and contains over 1500 entries going back over ten years.
I'm wondering if it's that which is causing the errors which are resulting in it being cleared.

I deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder completely and let the system recreate it.
WUM then didn't show any errors, but just scanned forever without ever finding anything or completing.
When I restored the original datastore.edb file from a backup it then failed, wrote the above error into the event log, and cleared the database.

So, is there a known limit to how big the installed updates database can be?
I can't find any reference to one anywhere.

My netbook, where everything seems to work fine with exactly the same setup, has a very much smaller Windows Update history.

I tried to set up WSUS on a Server 2008 R2 VM, and all I keep getting is this:

1501530677_ScreenShot2021-03-13at1_34_43PM.thumb.png.7fbefc59f0d3fd9fa24473979d680c0e.png

Anyone know why?

Windows is fully updated, minus .NET Framework 4.x, as I'd read that it can cause WSUS to fail to install.

c

Just a quick update on my situation.
It looks as if the act of checking for updates using the WSUS server is causing my existing updates history to be wiped.
Could this be because the old updates are not considered compatible or something?
Anyway, I have now switched automatic updates off completely, and so far my history has stayed intact.
:)

@Dave-H Interesting problem.  When you do a manual update check/install, are you able to use the traditional IE-based WU interface to do it, or must you use another software's UI, such as Windows Update MiniTool or some such, to accomplish the task?

c

Edited by cc333
polishing off grammar and rephrasing for easier reading....

It hasn't been possible to use the IE8 Microsoft Update or Windows Update interface for quite some time AFAIK, it just starts scanning and immediately fails, although it will still show you your installed updates history.
I have been using WUMT, but even if that wasn't run, a background automatic update check seemed to be enough to wipe my history, which usually happened a short time after a boot.
:)

I certainly have never had any such thing happen with using this WSUS server. It almost seems as if something has been corrupted at the core of the windows update mechanism on your system. That's really weird.

Yes, it is very odd indeed!

The first two updates I got from the WSUS system worked fine, and were added to my history.
The last one, which was an update for Office 2010, installed fine, but when I checked after it had installed, my whole history had been wiped, and only that update was listed!
Ever since then, any attempt at an update check has resulted in the history being wiped again after being restored from a backup which includes the first two updates, but not the third one which seemed to trigger the problem.
:(

3 hours ago, i430VX said:

fyi, the link underlying that URL in your sig is bad.  The visible text works, but underlying link is not the same as text, and it fails.  ( I speak of the link for your New Moon installer.  ps; also, I couldn't find any description of the .exe on your site, so I did not feel good to download it).

Rico

Edited by grubstake
add useful detail

2 hours ago, grubstake said:

fyi, the link underlying that URL in your sig is bad.

Thank you. Apparently had I not only been careless updating the link to the new domain, but I evidentally also let the old (free) domain lapse. Both problems are fixed.

ps; also, I couldn't find any description of the .exe on your site, so I did not feel good to download it

I have no idea what you mean.

19 hours ago, i430VX said:

Thank you. Apparently had I not only been careless updating the link to the new domain, but I evidentally also let the old (free) domain lapse. Both problems are fixed.

I have no idea what you mean.

430, hola from Mexico!

I mean that I saw only an ftp-style directory listing with only the exe in it.  I could not find any txt file describing exactly what the exe does, and whether it makes any changes to the system (e.g. registry etc etc.).  You know, the 'usual questions' that a person has before downloading/executing any exe file. :)  I did take a minute to navigate 'up' in the directory-structure, and even got to some website/pages, but I still could not find any page describing the installer.  Maybe I just failed to see the right link?

ps;  today I was looking for better graphics-drivers for this older T60 laptop, and on another site I happened to see your installer mentioned again!  There is a minimal description here, from two years ago I guess...

http://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2019/10/roytam1-browser-installer.html

I'm running mypal for past week now, but newmoon maybe is better?

I am still trying to figure out the differences between the two! lol  (newmoon and mypal)  I hope I will soon find a detailed and well-written page about this.

pps;  yes, the installer link works fine now. :)

buenas noches!

Rico

3 hours ago, grubstake said:

I did take a minute to navigate 'up' in the directory-structure, and even got to some website/pages, but I still could not find any page describing the installer.  Maybe I just failed to see the right link?

Oh, no... you didn't miss anything. there is no description of it to be found on my site. That's always been something I've planned. But you know. Too many things, not enough time... :(
There is some limited information in this forum thread, but even that needs some time put into it... by no means is it a full writeup.

11 hours ago, i430VX said:

... But you know. Too many things, not enough time... :(

lol...yes, I understand!

I thank you for making your work available to others, like myself, who don't have skills in this field.  gracias! :)

I will continue looking for good detailed page about the differences and advantages/disadvantages between mypal and newmoon...and maybe I end up using and benefiting from your installer.  I am not so happy with mypal as I had hoped to be...  bye for now.

Rico

• 2 weeks later...