On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

Yep :) Just need to install Windows installer 3.1 first : https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/download/details.aspx?id=25

And yes the SP1 in French displaying WSUS. I tested upgrade SP2 > SP3 and in this case, Windows server update service still displayed. But not if i directly install from SP3 iso, weird.

updates-from-SP1.PNG

Edited by max-h

Just out of curiosity: I've never used the Windows Update Mini Tool, but I wanted to give it a shot.

I downloaded it from Majorgeeks but as I opened it, it said "Interface not supported".

Are you all using an older, XP-Compatible version?

Yes, the version on MajorGeeks only works on Windows 10.
You need version 20.12.2016, which despite its apparent age is the last version until the Windows 10 only version.
Apparently you can get it on the MDL board, but you seem to have to be a member to do it.
The original Russian forum download seems to have gone.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

Thanks, but of the six possible download sites listed there, only SolidFiles and DataFileHost actually work for me.
The rest are either blocked for security reasons, or don't actually work!
:dubbio:
EDIT:
The SolidFiles and DataFileHost links actually download version 9.10.2015, which is not the latest XP compatible version, which is 20.12.2016.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

I've now discovered that my copy of WUMT will no longer work now even in offline mode, with the wsusscn2.cab from 2019 which used to work a few months ago!
I'm now just getting "An error has occurred: 0x800B0100 No signature was present in the subject" as I was with the later versions.
I have an even earlier version of the cab file, from 2018, which also definitely used to work, and that's not working now either!
What's happened here?
All the versions I'm trying to use are SHA-1 signed.

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2020 at 11:56 PM, Dave-H said:

I've now discovered that my copy of WUMT will no longer work now even in offline mode, with the wsusscn2.cab from 2019 which used to work a few months ago!
I'm now just getting "An error has occurred: 0x800B0100 No signature was present in the subject" as I was with the later versions.
I have an even earlier version of the cab file, from 2018, which also definitely used to work, and that's not working now either!
What's happened here?
All the versions I'm trying to use are SHA-1 signed.

For me disconnecting from the internet and rebooting before doing a check for updates worked. I am using the wsusscn2.cab signed on July 14th 2020.
Seems that the Windows Update Agent is doing some kind of validation that fails if there is an internet connection.

Belated thanks for that, yes it does work!
:thumbup
So, it's not really an "off line" mode then!
:lol:
I still can't get it to work with the 2020 version of the cab file, I just get "0x800B0100 No signature was present in the subject" all the time, even though it's supposed to be SHA-1 signed. The 2019 version works fine.
:)