On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

I tried everything I can think of, short of reinstalling XP from scratch, and, as before, all I keep getting when trying to invoke WU is this:

1851376547_ScreenShot2020-11-10at2_17_03PM.png.8d1989e48531c651d74d9fb5bf104921.png

How do I fix it?

EDIT: Things I've tried:

• Uninstalling IE8, and trying the original IE6.  No change
  • Force installing WUA 7.6.2600.256.  Again, no change
  • Installing and enabling the various POSReady 2009 TLS 1.2 patches and updating/important any relevant registry keys.  Nothing
  • Installing manually the Microsoft Update agent.  Still nothing
  • Updating root certificates.  Fail!

c

Edited by cc333

@cc333 You have to use WUMT (or automatic updates module) and the proxy. Passing by the web site doesn't work anymore (because it uses direct connection to WU) as abbodi1406 mentioned it

23 hours ago, max-h said:

WU/MU via IE scan against windowsupdate servers directly and fail

Edited by max-h

3 hours ago, max-h said:

I just installed it on windows (the other run on Linux), it seems to work better. On my test VMs I had no 8024400A error ;)

Here is the URL : http://wsus.update-old-wins.fr.nf:8530/?

Thanks again. I've tried the new URL (the original one you gave didn't have the "nf:8530" bit) but still no joy.
It seems a bit different now, sometimes it fails almost immediately, sometimes it scans for ages and then fails, but always ends up with "An error has occurred: 0x8024400A".
:(

Did you insist? For me when I installed it in one of my VMs it fails many time too (maybe ten before displaying updates...) I know it's annoying but I can't do much more... HTTP implementation is buggy.

You can try to install it on your PC directly (or on an another machine of your LAN) maybe you will be luckier.

I also suspect it of not liking the connection through the whole internet. For me, the server is on another internet access but with the same provider.

Edited by max-h

Apparently, it only appears on the French version. Corporate SUS server was the old name of WSUS. Maybe some system files were not upgraded correctly, which would also explain the systematic failure of the offline scan.

I will try an English XP SP1 to see if the corporate SUS server also appears  and do a manual upgrade to SP3.

Edited by max-h

Thanks, I'll be interested to see if it's the same.
I've left it scanning for 30 minutes or so, but nothing is found, and as I mentioned earlier the scan cannot be terminated except by shutting the program, which isn't normal behaviour.
It's like it's caught in a loop or something.
:dubbio:

Unfortunately I have no other idea except to install it on your PC directly. The mysteries of Windows...

EDIT  : I finished to install XP with SP1 and it displaying... Windows server update service. I don't know what causing this bug on the French version.

wsusSP1.png

Edited by max-h