On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

Still working today, but it's very flaky.
It can take several attempts to get the page to load properly.
The big difference now is that if you can the page up fully, scans no longer immediately fail as they did before.
Such a shame we didn't have this before the final Office 2010 updates were rolled out on the 15th!
I'm thinking of perhaps trying uninstalling one of them to see if I can now get it back through Microsoft Update!
:)

How strange, are you using IE8 or an earlier version?
It's still working here, once you get the page to actually load properly, which can take several attempts.
I'm having a problem getting it to work on my netbook though, which should be set up the same as my main desktop.
Even after substituting the file and adding the registry tweak, as soon as I scan after a few seconds I get error 0x80072EFE, which I think means it can't connect to the server.
Try as I might, I can't see why it's working on one machine and not on the other!
:dubbio:

6 hours ago, Dave-H said:

How strange, are you using IE8 or an earlier version?

Indeed.  I'm using IE8.  I wonder if reinstalling the WU client SW and then reapplying the patch would fix it?

I think this patch could stand some improvement (the biggest improvement would be to automate the install process, maybe by packaging it into a hotfix/update installer similar to those that MS uses), but it's off to an excellent start!

c

Edited by cc333

On 10/20/2020 at 11:17 AM, max-h said:

Guys, I have good news : A solution has been found to make XP and server 2003 compatible with SHA-2 updates!  Special thanks to daniel_k and abbodi1406 on Mydigitalife for the work :https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-update-for-2000-xp-2003-and-vista-is-die-august-2020.82143/page-5

Some registry hacks and patched wuaugen.dll and voilà!

A 7zip file created by abbodi contains all necessary files :
http://dl.free.fr/fN2aPTeTs

WU-XP-2020.png

You could upload the file on google drive or mediafire, since the server where you uploaded the file is slow and bloated <1Kbps, Thaniks

52 minutes ago, WinFX said:

You could upload the file on google drive or mediafire, since the server where you uploaded the file is slow and bloated <1Kbps, Thaniks

These are the links of the official thread :

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1ontv0vkh0ghfbi

https://anonfiles.com/P024Sfh0p6

https://download.ru/files/DMFZOv3t

Edited by max-h

Has any MSFN member actually used this to update a new installation of XP? (That’s obviously all that Windows Update is really needed for now.)

17 hours ago, digbick said:

When I install IE8 I get error code 0x800B0100 in WU or the minitool.

If I uninstall IE8, things go back working properly again.

Anyone knows why the presence of IE8 causes this issue?

Might be related to the fact that a new installation of XP would have IE6 rather than IE8. That’s probably why the instructions quoted by max-h on the previous page said to “Enable Use TLS 1.0 in IE6 -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Security.”

In Windows XP SP3 it works perfectly as before August:thumbup. In Windows Server 2003 SP2 I have not tried it yet.
On Windows 2000 it should work by installing Update Rollup 1, kb951748, IE6 + KB2817183 and the extended kernel. In blackwingcat post you see this, it should work for Windows 2000 since the extended kernel supports SHA-2:dubbio:: http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1959184.html

wu6osktm.jpg

Edited by WinFX

22 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Has any MSFN member actually used this to update a new installation of XP? (That’s obviously all that Windows Update is really needed for now.)

Might be related to the fact that a new installation of XP would have IE6 rather than IE8. That’s probably why the instructions quoted by max-h on the previous page said to “Enable Use TLS 1.0 in IE6 -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Security.”

What I do is to clean install Windows XP > install IE8 > install update agent 7.6 > apply posready patch, then if I try to update, I get error 0x800b0003.

If I uninstall IE8, update works.

If I skip the IE8 install, update works.

TLS 1.0 is enabled.

WUMT works for me only on Windows Update, not on Microsoft Update.
When Microsoft Update is selected, it just scans permanently and never finds anything.
The Microsoft Update site works for me in IE8 though.
Very strange!

5 hours ago, max-h said:

On my side, using WUMT on fresh install, everything works. No need IE or TLS 1.0 enabled :)

WUMTok.PNG

I have the 0x800b0003 error with online and offline update in wumt. I'm using the latest wsusscn2.cab with sha-1 signature from july 13th, but I don't think this has something with the error since the only vector that causes the error is the presence of IE8.

I need IE8 just to read some html reports generated from a legacy software that runs only in windows xp due to the hardlock.

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

WUMT works for me only on Windows Update, not on Microsoft Update.
When Microsoft Update is selected, it just scans permanently and never finds anything.
The Microsoft Update site works for me in IE8 though.
Very strange!

Works for me...

WUMTmsupdate.PNG