On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

I do wonder if the system was just re-enabled temporarily to deliver those two Office 2010 updates, as has be speculated, although it has been pointed out that the two updates concerned had actually already been released back in August (although not through MS Update).
It will be interesting to see if it comes back to life again for Patch Tuesday on October 13th, to deliver what are expected to be the last updates for Office 2010.
:)

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I do wonder if the system was just re-enabled temporarily to deliver those two Office 2010 updates, as has be speculated, although it has been pointed out that the two updates concerned had actually already been released back in August (although not through MS Update).
It will be interesting to see if it comes back to life again for Patch Tuesday on October 13th, to deliver what are expected to be the last updates for Office 2010.
:)

That would be pointless, since windows update was downloading all updates not just office.

1 hour ago, oldhardwareandsoftwaremustlive said:

That would be pointless, since windows update was downloading all updates not just office.

Yes but they probably couldn't easily remove all the other updates and just leave those two Office ones!
I suppose it's good to know that the update archive is still there and hasn't been trashed (yet) and it's just the automatic accessing of it that's been disabled.
I'm assuming that Microsoft Update doesn't just get its updates straight from the Update Catalogue, which is still manually accessible of course.
:dubbio:
As Vistapocalypse says, maybe it was just a mistake!
:D

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

41 minutes ago, Usher said:

Well, installation in a virtual machine is not a fully clean installation… Or am I wrong?

Virtual machine or not, I don't see what that changes... the system is the same. And if this is the story of guest additions, on a real hardware it would also need drivers.

You can test on real hardware if you want, but I think you will get the same error, I don't have any on hand unfortunately.

I agree with @max-h, in that whether it is installed in a VM or on real hardware, the only "real" difference between the two is in the drivers (or Guest Additions on a VM).  In other words, as far as XP is concerned, the hardware, real or otherwise, doesn't matter too much, so long as compatible drivers are available.

c

• 2 weeks later...

Look like to this video: https://youtu.be/7h1UsiBuQVg

This is a Windows Update v4 Clone, alternative to Windows Update Mini Tool on Windows 2000 (because is not compatible). Works good, but require ActiveX enabled as Trusted Site on IE6 and the offline file.

Edited by WinFX