On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

@Usher : I know, the signature tab is missing.

Little question of license/Service pack  :

I wanted to test French XP ISO with SP2 to see if I still had the 800b0003 error. So I went in search of an SP2 iso. I finally found the home edition N.

The installation is going well and when I (normally) have the OOBE, I will land to the welcome page with the famous message telling me to activate windows, as if the 30 days had passed.

What I don't understand is that I also have an SP3 home ISO and I have no problem, I have the normal activation delay. Could be a particularity of SP2? Because it seems to me that I already had this problem on an old PC, I had bought a so-called "new" SP2 home CD and I had the same message... as if it had already been activated. Or it's because the servers are unreachable?

And before you ask : ISO is genuine.

EDIT : I found the problem : just after network configuration, the system makes a request to download the certificate of revoked keys :

revoked-keys.png

Bad news : I downloaded French XP Pro SP1 iso and trying July 2020 version : it's works. BUT if i install the SP2 the error reappears... and same with SP3 of course. So there would be a problem somewhere with the files from SP2 and SP3?

The most frustrating thing is that I kept testing other languages and all of them worked. I have not tested languages other than Latin because it is not understandable.

Edited by max-h

Seems that microsoft cracked down on updates like win7 SP1 from the download center. the catalog is still intact, though. (or have i slowpoked on that one?)

Edited by IntMD

3 hours ago, IntMD said:

Seems that microsoft cracked down on updates like win7 SP1 from the download center. the catalog is still intact, though. (or have i slowpoked on that one?)

That’s how it is for Vista now: Download Center links are broken but the catalog still has the updates.

Microsoft cut a few days (or hours) ago I don't know precisely, the self-update of windows update agent. This means that WUMT will display "class not registered" until we manually update the agent. It's really the end this time.

Fortunately, I found version 7.4.7600.226 as standalone package : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/946928/information-for-network-administrators-about-how-to-obtain-the-latest

As indicated, there is no standalone package for version 7.6.7600.256 but 7.4 works well.

Edited by max-h

• 2 weeks later...

Believe it or not, I've just been offered two updates for Office 2010 through Automatic Updates, with a yellow shield in the system tray, after weeks of it repeatedly saying in the Event Log that it can't connect!
I immediately went to the Microsoft Update website, and it successfully scanned for them and installed them, so it's not quite dead yet!
:D

Thanks for the info, @Dave-H :worship:
Someone over at Microsoft must have (temporarily, I bet... :whistle:) turned back on the SHA-1 endpoints for Microsoft/Windows Update, perhaps solely for the sake of delivering these last few Office 2010 updates on XP/Vista users :dubbio:...

I can also confirm that WU[SHA-1] is currently (Sept 26th 2020, ca. 01:35 UTC) back on Vista SP2 32-bit:

MTdjMBC.jpg

Since I have installed SHA-2 support last October, I am currently on Vista build 6.0.6003; hence, I get offered nothing by MU/WU :( (but, OTOH, I don't think I have anything missing as far as Vista SP2 up-to-EoS [April 2017] updates are concerned... :rolleyes: ) ...

Edited by VistaLover

6 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Believe it or not, I've just been offered two updates for Office 2010 through Automatic Updates, with a yellow shield in the system tray

So true ! the yellow icon showed up by chance

the Windows Update Mini Tool has first detected 149 POSReady updates because I didn't patch XP last time I formatted this PC by the end of July

hopefully they give me enough time to test the latest offline wsusscn2 file to see if it matches the same number of updates provided by WU agent.

Edited by kasfruit

As of today (26 september 2020), the windows update for xp and vista (and maybe 2000?) is working. 

Grab them while you can

Note: the wsusscn2.cab is still only sha2 signed

xp.jpeg

vista.jpeg

Edited by TigTex

10 hours ago, kasfruit said:

hopefully they give me enough time to test the latest offline wsusscn2 file to see if it matches the same number of updates provided by WU agent.

Starting last August, the WSUSscsn2.cab file is being signed by M$ ONLY with a SHA-2 code-signature,

fZMYnUB.jpg

high chances are it won't work with WUMT under XP :( ; it certainly chokes here under Vista SP2: 

9C2HXEy.jpg

:dubbio:

This is why a blank Windows 7 started to find updates again. I didn't understand why. Here is the answer.

And I confirm that it works also on XP :cool:

XPupdatesok.png

EDIT : Windows 2000 is ok too

win2kok.png

Edited by max-h