On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

42 minutes ago, max-h said:

The sha1 of dec 2019 wsusscn2.cab is good.

For my part I tested ES, IT, PT-PT and NL with that of July. Everything works.

So are you saying that all those versions work fine with the July 2020 last SHA1 signed wsusscn2.cab file, and EN-US, but French does not work?
I'd be interested if you could try EN-GB to see if that works for you.
:dubbio:

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

So are you saying that all those versions work fine with the July 2020 last SHA1 signed wsusscn2.cab file, and EN-US, but French does not work?
I'd be interested if you could try EN-GB to see if that works for you.

Exactly. I tested with EN-GB configuration : it works. Unless I'm mistaken, there is no specific iso for en-gb. It's only the setting that changes in regional and languages option, right?

EN-GB.png

Edited by max-h

That does sound very likely, but I'm not 100% certain about that!
It would make sense that all the English variants of XP shared the same ISO, as unlike in later versions of Windows, the XP English GUI is always in American English, it's only things like keyboard layout, currency and time and date format displays that are customised for the different English versions, as far as I know.

So, why does it work for you, and not for me?
Curiouser and curiouser!

My previous attempts were on my "old" XP machine, which I haven't disposed of yet.  I now tried WUMT + wsusscn2.cab from July 2020 on my "new" XP machine: it failed too.  Even more curious: the wsusscn2.cab from December 2019 failed on my new system as well.

EDIT:
I did some more testing on a really old XP system (Preshott 3Ghz).  BOTH the December 2019 and the July 2020 are working on that machine!

All three machines have Avast and are converted to POSReady 2009, so those can't be the source of the problem.

PC1 - Intel X58 - XP Pro SP3 ENU VL
July 2020 file fails
Dec 2019 file fails

PC2 - Intel H55 - XP Pro SP3 ENU VL
July 2020 file fails
Dec 2019 file works

PC3 - ATI RS400/RC400/RC410 - XP Pro SP3 NLD OEM
July 2020 file works
Dec 2019 file works

Could it be the license type?

Edited by Tomcat76
Edit: more info

Does anyone have a link to the latest working version of wsusscn2.cab?

I have a copy I downloaded, but I don't know if it is valid, as I can't seem to get it to work on XP 32-bit (WUMT shows error 0x800B0100: No signature was present in the subject;  don't know if this is related to the lack of sha1 certificate).  I did get this same wsusscn2.cab to work on XP x64, for what it's worth.

c

3 hours ago, Tomcat76 said:

Could it be the license type?

I tested it on XP RUS SP3 Pro VL.

16 minutes ago, cc333 said:

WUMT shows error 0x800B0100: No signature was present in the subject;

You need to install Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256.

29 minutes ago, ED_Sln said:

I tested it on XP RUS SP3 Pro VL.

You need to install Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256.

Hmm, I thought I had?  I guess it won't hurt to reinstall....

I'll give it a try and see what happens.

EDIT:  I reinstalled WU Agent 7.6.7600.256, and no change.  WUMT is throwing the same error.

EDIT #2:  I'm not sure if this matters, but this is Win XP Pro x86 installed on a VMware Fusion VM on my macOS machine.

EDIT #3:  And it has the POS Ready 2009 patch applied.

c

Edited by cc333

1 hour ago, cc333 said:

EDIT:  I reinstalled WU Agent 7.6.7600.256, and no change.  WUMT is throwing the same error.

Which version of WUMT? Works on XP 20.12.2016, 07.01.2020 works only on W10.

Edit: I checked it in VMWare and on real hardware, it works both there and there. Applied registry tweak to enable POSReady, works well too.

Edited by ED_Sln

1 hour ago, ED_Sln said:

Which version of WUMT? Works on XP 20.12.2016, 07.01.2020 works only on W10.

1 hour ago, ED_Sln said:

Edit: I checked it in VMWare and on real hardware, it works both there and there. Applied registry tweak to enable POSReady, works well too.

OK, so that's not the problem.  That's good!

Perhaps I should re-download wsusscn2.cab?  Maybe the certificate somehow got stripped out altogether?

Anyway, I'll look into it tomorrow.  It's late here in shake 'n  bake California :zzz::no:

c

Pretty weird. When I pass the file into the File Signature Verification utility, it cannot find it. But if I take the sigcheck utility, it's okay.

However, it says that sigcheck: "Calculate the hash of the file, find it in the appropriate security catalog file, and verify the signature of the security catalog file." This means that it compares well with the certificates present on the machine and does not only show whether there is just a signature or not.

The question is: why does sigcheck find the signature but windows not?

sigcheckok.png

Edited by max-h

40 minutes ago, max-h said:

The question is: why does sigcheck find the signature but windows not?

Signature checking function provided in Windows XP works only for files less than 512 MiB.

@max-h

I mean function available as a shell extension. Right click the cab file in Windows Explorer, then select its properies from the context menu and you will understand…