On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

2 hours ago, Tomcat76 said:

As Dave-H, I can't get this to work with WUMT.  I'm using WUMT 20.12.2016 on Windows XP SP3 (POS Ready 2009).  I renamed the cab to wsusscn2.cab and placed it in the same folder as the WUMT executable.  Error message:
An error has occurred: 0x800B0100 No signature was present in the subject

I wanted to try this with WSUS Offline Update 11.9.1 ESR, but I can't figure out where I'm supposed to put the cab file, and if additional steps need to be taken as the official documentation specifies the program is downloading and using the cab from Microsoft or from Github.

Same error here. I have tried updating the root certificates and it looks like there is a report because without it I get error 800B0003 "the form specified for the subject is not supported or known by the specified trust provider" and after 800B0100 like you and Dave.

In my case I downloaded archive.org version from December 2019 and it worked : https://web.archive.org/web/20191209214827/http://download.windowsupdate.com/microsoftupdate/v6/wsusscan/wsusscn2.cab

For Wsusoffilne, wsusscn2.cab is in client/wsus but when the process is launch it's erase the file, so... unusable.

Edited by max-h

4 hours ago, max-h said:

Same error here. I have tried updating the root certificates and it looks like there is a report because without it I get error 800B0003 "the form specified for the subject is not supported or known by the specified trust provider" and after 800B0100 like you and Dave.

In my case I downloaded archive.org version from December 2019 and it worked : https://web.archive.org/web/20191209214827/http://download.windowsupdate.com/microsoftupdate/v6/wsusscan/wsusscn2.cab

For Wsusoffilne, wsusscn2.cab is in client/wsus but when the process is launch it's erase the file, so... unusable.

The 2019 version of wsusscn2.cab from the Wayback Machine works fine for me too in WUMT thanks very much!
:thumbup
It's still a mystery to me why the last SHA-1 signed 2020 version won't work for me or you though, especially when others have said that it does!
:dubbio:
I tried the 2019 version in MBSA, and that didn't work I'm afraid, as with the 2020 version I just got "The catalog file is damaged or an invalid catalog".
I've now got those bloody ESENT error messages in my Event Log all the time again too, I guess I'll have to restore the SoftwareDistribution folder from my backup again!
:angry:
Probably it's time to give up on MBSA, it's presumably never going to work again except with the 2018 version of wsusscn2.cab which it has cached.
It doesn't seem to want to know about later versions.
:no:

Very very strange. To make sure, I tested with the US version of XP and guess what? It works with the July 2020 cab!

So there would be a problem with all XP versions other than US?

XP-US-scan-ok.jpg

Edited by max-h

That is very interesting!
My Windows XP is English, but set to United Kingdom English.
I wonder if the cab would work if I changed it to US English?
I don't see why it would make a difference, but stranger things have been known!
:dubbio:

2 hours ago, max-h said:

No, updates were found on the Russian system without problems. I only installed Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.255 because wumt wouldn't start without it.

not-naming.jpg

Edited by ED_Sln

1 hour ago, ED_Sln said:

No, updates were found on the Russian system without problems. I only installed Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.255 because wumt wouldn't start without it.

not-naming.jpg

4 hours ago, max-h said:

Very very strange. To make sure, I tested with the US version of XP and guess what? It works with the July 2020 cab!

XP-US-scan-ok.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the quote spam. I just want to point out that those are file hashes listed in both of these recent posts, which is NOT the same thing as Microsoft's SHA1 signing key. These are just useful for checking for file integrity after a download to ensure that the downloaded file is identical to the original.

Edited by caffeinepizza
typos

On 8/23/2020 at 11:17 AM, max-h said:

You wouldn't mind sharing the MD5 or any file hash you desire for that Dec 2019 wsusscn2.cab so I can ensure what I downloaded isn't corrupt? appreciate it!

My WinXP is UK.
Windows Update Agent files are version 7.6.7600.256, except wuweb.dll which is at 7.6.7600.257.

As per Md5Checker 3.3, the MD5 for the downloaded wsusscn2_sha1.cab (July 2020) is a match.

The December 2019 wsusscn2.cab (WBM link provided by max-h), on the other hand, does work with WUMT.  Its MD5 appears to be BE65CE3E77B7EF1EFDEB112A95495607.

Edited by Tomcat76
Edit: UK, not US