On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

40 minutes ago, tafaxo said:

Does anyone know how to get the complete package of the latest Windows XP x86 Pro updates including Windows Live, Microsoft Security Essentials, etc?

Engine updates for MSE have been incompatible with XP for more than a year. I believe M$ deprecated Windows Live Essentials, but your search engine probably works as well as mine.

Hi all,

Personally I use WSUS, it's more convenient than offline scan or zip packs. There is almost all updates unlike offline scan which doesn't contain IE8 for example. And for those who are missing there is only to import them. It's work very well :)

22 minutes ago, max-h said:

I installed SHA2 support on 2008 R2 and all updates have been downloaded.

2008 R2 is the Server side of Win7 (and plain 2008 is the Server side of Vista); both 2008+2008 R2 are still supported by WU/MU, thus WSUS, if the corresponding updates that bestow SHA-2 support are manually pre-installed... This isn't any news, is it? ;)

OTOH, you haven't responded with clarity to @Vistapocalypse's query: Have you recently tried WSUS on plain Vista (+SP2?) ??? :dubbio:M$ don't offer an official update that implements SHA-2 support to the OS, one may use the KB for 2008, but does WSUS really work on Vista SP2:dubbio:

Edited by VistaLover

49 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

OTOH, you haven't responded with clarity to @Vistapocalypse's query: Have you recently tried WSUS on plain Vista (+SP2?) ??? :dubbio:M$ don't offer an official update that implements SHA-2 support to the OS, one may use the KB for 2008, but does WSUS really work on Vista SP2:dubbio:

WSUS works on vista SP2 yes. Just like 2000 SP4 or XP SP3.

Edited by max-h

I'm not sure I understand what you mean...

I installed 2008 R2 with the base version of WSUS and tested that everything installed fine on 2000/XP/vista and this is the case.

Thereupon, i'm go to bed. its late here.

Edited by max-h

15 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

That does appear to be a recent Windows 2000 screenshot you posted above.

... He's using the WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) that comes with Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 to access and download Win2k updates, not an actual Win2k installation... :P

@max-h : Where can one find/install/configure a suitable version of WSUS on Vista SP2 itself (if at all possible...) ? Having an existing installation of WSUS on WS2008R2 as a means to fetch Vista updates isn't practical, to say the least... :(

11 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Where can one find/install/configure a suitable version of WSUS on Vista SP2 itself (if at all possible...) ? Having an existing installation of WSUS on WS2008R2 as a means to fetch Vista updates isn't practical, to say the least... :(

It's impossible to install WSUS on Vista unfortunately (to my knowledge, you can just install the console to control the server)... Is your WSUS installation on a virtual machine? It's more flexible than a physical machine and you can backup and move easily.

For me, on the contrary, WSUS has almost only advantages:
-Update as many machines as you want, without copying the updates
- WU does everything automatically and without consuming a lot of disk space (I have a problem doing it manually, precisely on vista, the disk fills up quite quickly, I have to plan at least 60 GB to install ~ 200 updates I think it's coming extracted .cabs that are not deleted over time after being installed.

I have not tested with .msu, because you have to recover everything manually, and the pkgmgr tool does not support msu for an installation of several packages at the same time, it only works from windows 7.

Edited by max-h

On 8/13/2020 at 1:46 AM, TigTex said:

Here's the last version with sha1 signature

Filename:  wsusscn2_sha1.cab

Date: 14 July 2020

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/jxklkf1p8bjifff/wsusscn2_sha1.cab/file

MD5: fe805bbf07898f2ab4ebc5e8a63983a8

As Dave-H, I can't get this to work with WUMT.  I'm using WUMT 20.12.2016 on Windows XP SP3 (POS Ready 2009).  I renamed the cab to wsusscn2.cab and placed it in the same folder as the WUMT executable.  Error message:
An error has occurred: 0x800B0100 No signature was present in the subject

I wanted to try this with WSUS Offline Update 11.9.1 ESR, but I can't figure out where I'm supposed to put the cab file, and if additional steps need to be taken as the official documentation specifies the program is downloading and using the cab from Microsoft or from Github.