On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

5 hours ago, IntMD said:

Couldn't even open the app downloaded from the mirror in majorgeeks

WUMT v07.01.2020 supposedly only launches under Win10:

DXKa7gv.jpg

(It doesn't on Vista SP2 32-bit here :( ... )

5 hours ago, IntMD said:

make sure you download from the original source.

... Which is exactly?

FTR, I got my copy of Windows Update MiniTool v20.12.2016 from our Russian friends!

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

What's "MDL" BTW?
I can't find anything relevant in searches.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/

:hello:

A while ago I did some google search about WUMT. The developer of the tool is said to be elusive and avoids publicity. The Russian forum mentioned above seems to be the original source of WUMT and the thread on My Digital Life followed. There are two verions of WUMT:

20.12.2016 - supports XP -> Win10
07.01.2020 - supports Win10 only

Major Geeks replaced v20.12.2016 with v07.01.2020 early this year and does not have the older version available for download any more.

Windows Update Offline Scan File wsusscn2.cab is updated from time to time and includes lists of all available updates for different versions of Windows. I could not figure out how often it is updated and which OSes are actually supported. I used it with XP, POSReady 2009 and Windows Embedded Standard 7. Here are all relevant links and checksums:

v20.12.2016
wumt.zip
MD5:  200B3B2198F32AFC6FBF2D5B6110C5CC

v07.01.2020
wumt.zip
MD5:  4B4BB34ADC4376E6F6DA6961DC59FAB3

WUMT - original source:

http://gallery.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=5&bm=1&topic=48142#2

WUMT - primary thread in English:

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-update-minitool.64939/

Official web page of wsusscn2.cab:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/926464/a-new-version-of-the-windows-update-offline-scan-file-wsusscn2-cab-is

10 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Ah, thank you!
So it looks as if the version of WUML I've already got is the last version which will work on XP anyway.
If anyone has it working offline with wsusscn2.cab please talk me through exactly what settings you're using, as I'm still not getting anywhere with it!
:no:

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Ah, thank you!
So it looks as if the version of WUML I've already got is the last version which will work on XP anyway.
If anyone has it working offline with wsusscn2.cab please talk me through exactly what settings you're using, as I'm still not getting anywhere with it!

Only installed

en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_x14-80428.iso
1C735B38931BF57FB14EBD9A9BA253CEB443D459

launched:

WUMT_X86.EXE (v20.12.2016)
65F09C897453D997F952B5A79DBEC872789ABEAF

in the same folder:

WSUSSCN2.CAB
5FCDBED0E904F233CCC6DE6FE3ABAC713DAC706F

This is the result:

Z6vJkMRL_t.png

If that doesn't work for you, you need to use a fresh clean install of Windows XP

I have exactly those files, and I've set WUMT up as in your image, but still no joy.

Image1.thumb.jpg.c6b7a9fb0c05d49a91522ab4386d6c20.jpg

I'm still seeing on every boot three error entries a second or so apart in the Windows Application Event Log.

Image2.thumb.jpg.7d0494a3a77e560968aee96d31d36922.jpg

This started happening when I tried to run MBSA, which reported that it had failed to download the update database.
I now don't seem to be able to stop the error messages.
All the research on it seems to say you need to trash the DataStore folder in the Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder, but in my case this makes no difference, I'm still getting the error messages. I can't help but think that these two issues are related!
Any suggestions gratefully received!
:yes:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

@Dave-H

Couldn't get WUMT working.

However, the script on this article worked on a clean install of XP SP3:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wua_sdk/using-wua-to-scan-for-updates-offline

Save the text as a .vbs file (ie: wuscan.vbs), copy wsusscn2.cab to c:\ or change its path in the script, then run in a Command Prompt:

cscript wuscan.vbs

If it doesn't work, try to:
- restart Windows
- stop Automatic Updates service, delete C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore and re-enable the service.

If it says Searching for updates... then just wait, it's doing its job.

Edited by daniel_k

Just to add, I did stop the Automatic Updates service, disabled the DataStore folder by renaming it (I don't want to lose my update history) and when I ran the script it started the service again and recreated the folder, which is expected I assume.
Still the same end result though.
:(

16 minutes ago, IntMD said:

Even with the 2016 build from MDL? It still works for me with the wsusscan2.cab with dual-signed SHA1 & SHA256.

Yes, gave up and tried the MS script.

1 minute ago, Dave-H said:

Just to add, I did stop the Automatic Updates service, disabled the DataStore folder by renaming it (I don't want to lose my update history) and when I ran the script it started the service again and recreated the folder, which is expected I assume.
Still the same end result though.
:(

What about restarting Windows after renaming the folder, leaving the service disabled?
I'm running an untouched ENU XP SP3.

1 hour ago, daniel_k said:

Weird. what error did it show btw? Also to rule out obvious things, you selected "Offline mode" before searching, right?

I'll recheck it real quick to see if something hasn't been messed up recently.

3 hours ago, daniel_k said:

What about restarting Windows after renaming the folder, leaving the service disabled?
I'm running an untouched ENU XP SP3.

Tried that, and both WUMT and the script just complain that the service isn't running and cannot be started.

Again, can anyone confirm that this works on a system with all the POSReady updates applied?
We've found (see other current threads) that a couple of those updates stopped Office 2010 encryption working properly, which I don't think anyone was aware of before, so is it possible that a POSReady update or updates has also hosed this?
:dubbio: