On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

2 hours ago, daniel_k said:

If we could redirect it to the link above, maybe it would still work.
Any ideas?

slightly stupid idea - if it would actually depend on the files from the windows update agent, then maybe hexedit them to replace each instance of old url to the new one. similar to the trick used to get msn clients connected to custom servers. not sure if this would just be enough, but still.

2 minutes ago, IntMD said:

slightly stupid idea - if it would actually depend on the files from the windows update agent, then maybe hexedit them to replace each instance of old url to the new one. similar to the trick used to get msn clients connected to custom servers. not sure if this would just be enough, but still.

Actually, it has nothing to with the WU Agent. Except for the WU site url, there is no hardcoded address.
The WU site provides the Agent with the "service" url.

Maybe we could setup a local proxy with url forwarding? :unsure:
I'm not used to these things.

I have discovered that fe2 and www have different IP's

fe2: 13.83.149.5
www: 40.90.247.210

Perhaps editing the hosts file Windows Update will work again in Windows XP.

20 minutes ago, WinFX said:

Unfortunately it doesn't work, I get a date error in the certificate (0x80072F8F), and when I try to go to https://www.update.microsoft.com/v6/ClientWebService/client.asmx, in IE8 I get a certificate error.

Someone trying to activate Windows Vista also reported 0x80072F8F at another forum today. 

2 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Someone trying to activate Windows Vista also reported 0x80072F8F at another forum today. 

i’ve stumbled on this issue myself (mind you it was before doomsday) but updating my Vista copy up until april 2017 and updating root certificates solved the problem. I hope microsoft would not prevent us from activating our os that we paid for??

7 hours ago, WinFX said:

Windows Update worked for me today with this method :yes: :

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wua_sdk/using-wua-to-scan-for-updates-offline

The downside is that it only checks for updates,

... That link also mentions the following:

WUA validates that the Wsusscn2.cab is signed by a valid Microsoft certificate before running an offline scan.

Note

In accordance with our SHA-1 deprecation initiative, the Wsusscn2.cab file is no longer dual-signed using both SHA-1 and the SHA-2 suite of hash algorithms (specifically SHA-256). This file is now signed using only SHA-256. Administrators who verify digital signatures on this file should now expect only single SHA-256 signatures.

... so without SHA-2 code-signing support (AFAIAA, this can't be implemented to OSes prior to Vista SP2 and in the latter, packages targeting originally WS2008SP2 are needed ;) ), that method will become a moot one... :whistle:

For the time being, the latest cab downloadable via either

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=74689

http://download.windowsupdate.com/microsoftupdate/v6/wsusscan/wsusscn2.cab

is dual-signed on July 14th 2020:

ROT4IeS.jpg

so you might want to back it up... I foresee that the next release will only be SHA-2 signed... <_<

Edited by VistaLover

14 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

So has anyone got this cabinet to work in WUMT, because it won't for me?
Perhaps I'm just doing something wrong.
:dubbio:

I'll upload the july copy that I have mentioned before. But beforehand (just to be sure), have you tried the existing one you have with WUMT gotten from MDL? Couldn't even open the app downloaded from the mirror in majorgeeks so if you have downloaded from here, make sure you download from the original source.

Edited by IntMD

2 hours ago, IntMD said:

I'll upload the july copy that I have mentioned before. But beforehand (just to be sure), have you tried the existing one you have with WUMT gotten from MDL? Couldn't even open the app downloaded from the mirror in majorgeeks so if you have downloaded from here, make sure you download from the original source.

So do you think that the version of WUMT I have needs to be changed?
As I said, I've had it for years and it's always worked fine when I've used it, but this is the first time I've tried using it in offline mode.
I wasn't aware of a later version being available.
I'm pretty sure that the version of wsusscn2.cab that I have is correct.
The date of the file is the date it was downloaded, but the signing dates and hashes seem to be correct.
:dubbio:
What's "MDL" BTW?
I can't find anything relevant in searches.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition