On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

1 hour ago, ppgrainbow said:

Is there a version of the Windows Update MiniTool for Windows 2000?

I did managed to compile to updates for Windows 2000 into both in a ISO (658 MB) and in ZIP file (765 MB). They're both located on drive F on the \Win_2000 directory. :)

Not sure but tomasz86 did archive updates for win2K to the MEGA drive for his windowsarchives site, didn't he?

8 hours ago, TigTex said:

For now, wumt and wsusscn2.cab is still able to search, download and install updates.

Probably is a good idea to backup wsusscn2.cab. Microsoft might remember to delete older updates at anytime from now.

xp.jpg

So how come WUMT woks on XP for you, but not for me?
:dubbio:
My copy of wsusscn2.cab was from 2018, so I ran MBSA to update it.
It said it was downloading the updates data, and was downloading for ages, but then said that the download had failed, and carried on the scan using the old version!
So what exactly was it downloading for all that time?!
:(

EDIT: Just found this in the event log.

wuaueng.dll (6040) SUS20ClientDataStore: The version store for this instance (0) has reached its maximum size of 8Mb. 
It is likely that a long-running transaction is preventing cleanup of the version store and causing it to build up in size. 
Updates will be rejected until the long-running transaction has been completely committed or rolled back. 
Possible long-running transaction: 
	SessionId: 0x02C803C0 
	Session-context: 0x00000000 
	Session-context ThreadId: 0x00000F44

Anyone any ideas about that?
It's almost certainly the cause of the download failure.
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

1 hour ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Is that link only for XP or does the same version work on Vista?

Should be OS-agnostic, or to be eexact, for OS supporting Windows Update v6 and up

Edited by IntMD

7 hours ago, daniel_k said:

It seems that Microsoft just removed www.update.microsoft.com
http://fe2.update.microsoft.com tries to load the service, but redirects to www.update.microsoft.com and fails.

Tried to redirect the www address to the fe2 IP, but didn't work when using hosts file?
Anyone has another idea?

It seems to be up once again, but for how long though? Might be the best moment to reverse engineer this s*** while it's still alive, and mirror updates that haven't been archived yet in any form.

Edited by IntMD

WSUS Offline Update ESR 9.2.5 (a front end for wsusscn2.cab it appears) still gets most XP x86 and Server 2003 x64 updates as of now. Seemingly, the only thing that fails is WMP11, but that was probably served through the MS Download Center as opposed to Windows Update.

Edited by win32

7 hours ago, IntMD said:

It seems to be up once again

Confirmed!

7 hours ago, IntMD said:

but for how long though?

Well, it will be permanently offline eventually, but when that will happen is anyone's guess...

7 hours ago, IntMD said:

Might be the best moment to reverse engineer this s*** while it's still alive, and mirror updates that haven't been archived yet in any form.

Agreed.  I know there has been an attempt at reverse engineering WU v4 for use with Windows 9x and ME, but I don't think it has gotten far.

Fortunately, though, in anticipation, many updates have already been archived in various languages, so not all is lost, but it would definitely be a shame if updates for some of the less common languages get lost to time.

c

On 8/5/2020 at 11:20 AM, TigTex said:

All I did was download wsusscn2.cab from here http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=74689 and toggle the offline mode in WUMT.

For those who might want to read more, here’s a Microsoft support article where the download link can be found:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/926464/a-new-version-of-the-windows-update-offline-scan-file-wsusscn2-cab-is

Vista is not specifically mentioned, but the page was updated May 25, 2017.