On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

Did Microsoft already pull the plug on Microsoft Update (which includes Office updates)? :(
Installed Office 2010 just to grab a list of updates, but it just keeps scanning for updates forever.

14 minutes ago, daniel_k said:

Did Microsoft already pull the plug on Microsoft Update (which includes Office updates)? :(
Installed Office 2010 just to grab a list of updates, but it just keeps scanning for updates forever

Microsoft Update Catalog still has many Windows 2000 updates, so I would have expected that they wouldn't have used the SHA-1 deprecation to dismantle the update infrastructure for a product that will only exit extended support in October.

Mobile apps with short clips of people dancing are now more important than Windows and Office to MS. :(

42 minutes ago, daniel_k said:

Installed Office 2010 just to grab a list of updates, but it just keeps scanning for updates forever.

It does take a very long time to find updates at the moment, you have to be very patient!
I've never known it not to get there in the end though.
Leave it scanning overnight.
:)

No joy there either I'm afraid, error 0x80244004 which is basically, "can't connect to the server".
Looks like it's all permanently gone.
:(
I guess it's off to the catalogue for the last few Office 2010 updates.
At least I have the 64 bit version installed on Windows 10, so that should tell me what updates have been issued.

4 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

No joy there either I'm afraid, error 0x80244004 which is basically, "can't connect to the server".
Looks like it's all permanently gone.
:(
I guess it's off to the catalogue for the last few Office 2010 updates.
At least I have the 64 bit version installed on Windows 10, so that should tell me what updates have been issued.

Ahh well, someone crazy might figure it out, although I doubt it. good thing unofficial SP4 exists.

48 minutes ago, cc333 said:

Is it possible that this could be a temporary outage?

It's happened before, so maybe?

c

Fingers crossed it is. In the meantime we still have the update catalogue.

1 hour ago, IntMD said:

Fingers crossed it is. In the meantime we still have the update catalogue.

Agreed.  As you say, at least there's still the catalog!

For now, anyway....

c

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft would completely wipe the Catalog, leaving only updates for Windows 8.1 and later.
Those who have any interest on old OSes should download everything ASAP.

Microsoft seems to taking seriously this time.

My vista system now shows 0x80072efd error every time I search for updates. I suppose vista updates should still work because of windows server 2008... Can anyone confirm that updates are also down for vista?

56 minutes ago, TigTex said:

My vista system now shows 0x80072efd error every time I search for updates. I suppose vista updates should still work because of windows server 2008... Can anyone confirm that updates are also down for vista?

MS did say that they were shutting down SHA-1 endpoints for Windows Update. So 2000, XP and Vista are dead right there. The SHA-2 updates for Server 2008 came out after the build number changed to 6003, and Windows Update also broke on Vista with the change to 6003, so you're SOL.

Edited by win32

For now, wumt and wsusscn2.cab is still able to search, download and install updates.

Probably is a good idea to backup wsusscn2.cab. Microsoft might remember to delete older updates at anytime from now.

(Top: vista sp2 vanilla, Bottom: xp sp3 + posready)

vista.jpg

xp.jpg

Edited by TigTex

Is there a version of the Windows Update MiniTool for Windows 2000?

I did managed to compile to updates for Windows 2000 into both in a ISO (658 MB) and in ZIP file (765 MB). They're both located on drive F on the \Win_2000 directory. :)