On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

You are using an obsolete reg file. Here is the proper one:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\POSReady]
"Installed" = dword: 00000001

There must be a single blank line after the first line. Use Windows to create the file, do not use Linux, it's just more headaches, testing, etc.. For instance, Gedit in Linux creates two blank lines instead of one. Here is more information about reg file format:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/310516/how-to-add-modify-or-delete-registry-subkeys-and-values-by-using-a-reg

Btw, you can also use Clonezilla to create an image of a single partition. I have a few instances of XP, POSReady 2009 and Win7, some with .Net, some without, on a single computer (with two hard disks) and Clonezilla installed on its own dedicated Ext4 partition. Works like a charm.

Edited by Lex24

This is what I've always used:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion]
"FeaturePackVersion"="SP3"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]
"Installed"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

I last used that a few days before the supposed end of the update support for XP (July?) while creating several new master XP installations for several motherboards and it worked fine.

But in any case - can I get an answer to the question -> is WU still updating XP-POS systems?

Edited by Nomen

@Nomen

3 hours ago, Nomen said:

But in any case - can I get an answer to the question -> is WU still updating XP-POS systems?

Yes.

BTW, these keys conflict with each other:

For XP Embedded (no longer supported and should be removed from registry)

3 hours ago, Nomen said:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion]
"FeaturePackVersion"="SP3"

and for POSReady 2009 (still working on WU/MU, the only proper one nowadays)

3 hours ago, Nomen said:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

These keys are obsolete and should be removed also:

3 hours ago, Nomen said:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]

• 4 months later...

sorry for my ignorance (didn't read all posts here)
I see first page, download the list and found no hotfixes...

So who share the most complete XP hotfixes? OnePiece? Harkaz? maybe chinese/russian link?

@dencorso thank you
I try onepiece's box.com storage and check all his KB list and found HBRs that I want but some regular updates not available
I can't find find http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/0/2/5020250F-EEAF-4D06-A8F3-1F16826D0B91/WindowsXP-KB971276-v3-x86-ENU.exe (for XPS printing)

anyone have this update?

EDIT: nevermind, I found in from chinese site with matched MD5
http://www.86nsn.com/class.1/DownloadShow/?ID=195

Edited by TuMaGoNx

Anyone recopiled or created a special Updatepack/Rollup/Hotfix for XP on Spanish?

I also expect Microsoft will know that a lot of people upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 due to a necessity and they probably hate Windows 10. Moreover, there are a lot of people who use old PCs or simply like Windows XP.

Because of that, I want a short life for Windows 10 despite it's not a very bad OS! I think there could be a Windows 10's update server exploit because that Os uses a lot of Internet on searching updates.

Since @TuMaGoNx had success, let's try one more: has anyone perchance preserved KB2963522  (The system or application freezes in a Windows Embedded POSReady 2009-based device)? I know it's quite a long-shot, but it doesn't exactly hurt to ask, right?

On 5/15/2020 at 10:26 PM, dencorso said:

Since @TuMaGoNx had success, let's try one more: has anyone perchance preserved KB2963522  (The system or application freezes in a Windows Embedded POSReady 2009-based device)? I know it's quite a long-shot, but it doesn't exactly hurt to ask, right?

Unfortunately, it could not be found. :(

Nope :(

One question regarding KB971276-v3 - is it "good to go" on all language variants of windows server? this one is gone from the internet, but MS servers still host multiple lang variants of KB971276-v2

Anyway, I preserved the website on wayback machine, here you go: https://web.archive.org/web/20200516214749/http://www.86nsn.com/UploadFiles/200994153948302.rar

Edited by Mcinwwl

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

July 2019 was obviously a false alarm, but Doomsday will come like a thief in the night:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4569557/windows-update-sha-1-based-endpoints-discontinued

What about updates to Office 2010, which are still being served by Microsoft Update on Windows XP?
That is still supported with security updates until October, supposedly.
:dubbio:

That can probably complicate matters for the updates to Office 2010 still be served on Windows XP and Windows Vista. On Windows 7 SP1 and later, Office 2010 is still supported.

Microsoft decommissioned the Office Update website weeks after Office 2000 went out of support.