On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

17 minutes ago, ED_Sln said:

For the 64 bit version, it seems, there was no update.

Weird. The KB Article seems to only refer to 32-bit (although it may have been edited as such, never trust MS to leave KB articles alone); but the Security Bulletin clearly identifies 64-bit as being affected as well. Methinks something is missing here.. :dubbio:

EDIT: Ugh, the KB# is apparently different for x64. The Security Bulletin also says .NET4 is affected; there are probably individual updates for each .NET version affected on each architecture.

15 hours ago, ppgrainbow said:

Can anyone on Windows 2000 access the Windows Update website?

I don't use Windows Update myself, but another user elsewhere has reported that it still works.

23 hours ago, ppgrainbow said:

Can anyone on Windows 2000 access the Windows Update website?

I suspect that it will only be a matter of time(...)

It will be a matter of expiry date:

• Certificate for MS Update Catalog site www.catalog.update.microsoft.com expires on August 9, 2019 (2019-08-09).
  • Certificate for Microsoft/Windows Update site www.update.microsoft.com expires on December 27, 2019 (2019-12-27).

You can connect to both sites in IE with non-secured HTTP protocol, but then IE installs and runs Activex controls which may use HTTPS connection.

If I understand correctly, new certificates won't use SHA-1 for digital signing any more, but it doesn't mean all the sites will be unavailable for system tools and other software using system crypto libraries. It's a matter of some TLS extensions which Microsoft NEVER implemented in Windows XP, though they were described in RFC documents when Windows XP were still updated. For example:

• Server Name Indication, RFC 3546, June 2003 - before XP SP2 
  • Elliptic Curve Cryptography, RFC 4492, May 2006 - before XP SP3

It may be somehow related to The Decline and Fall of Internet Explorer 6…

On 7/22/2019 at 3:50 PM, LoneCrusader said:

On the subject of .NET Framework 1.1 sp1, Updates after April 2014 (Server2003), there was a possibility from the comment https://msfn.org/board/topic/171814-posready-2009-updates-ported-to-windows-xp-sp3-enu/?do=findComment&comment=1103787 in the topic "POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU" to use them under Windows XP. Now I have been creating a small update rollup for some time where the last 4 relevant updates (KB2972207, KB2978114, KB3037572 and KB3023211) are summarized and can be used on all language versions of Windows XP sp3 (the actual updated files are generally in English).

:)

Yes, they have the post-2010 Windows 2000 security updates that were seemingly intended for paid support customers only (and thus not available through Windows Update).

Unfortunately when I downloaded the April 2013 release a few months ago I'd get some sort of 404 error several times before actually being able to download it. I thought that M$ was trying to wipe all memory of the "unauthorized" updates. :thumbdown

27 minutes ago, win32 said:

Yes, they have the post-2010 Windows 2000 security updates that were seemingly intended for paid support customers only (and thus not available through Windows Update).

Unfortunately when I downloaded the April 2013 release a few months ago I'd get some sort of 404 error several times before actually being able to download it. I thought that M$ was trying to wipe all memory of the "unauthorized" updates. :thumbdown

Are those compatible with the KernelEx and other updates from here?

KB926139 Powershell 1.0 (links for MUI and localized installers are dead, but I found this one working on pl-pl system)
https://files.downloadnow.com/s/software/11/90/51/19/WindowsXP-KB926139-v2-x86-ENU.exe?token=1564041378_0e0ddfdc68da54751826f21e13787129&fileName=WindowsXP-KB926139-v2-x86-ENU.exe

There is also full set of links for Vista and Server 2003 on official M$ sites, only XP links seem to be quite dead...  :/

50 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

Are those compatible with the KernelEx and other updates from here?

Yes, the final IE6 update is a prerequisite for the extended kernel.

And that would be why the April 2013 ISO would be worth preserving!

3 minutes ago, win32 said:

Yes, the final IE6 update is a prerequisite for the extended kernel.

And that would be why the April 2013 ISO would be worth preserving!

Now that April 2013 ISO - does that include a rollup of updates?  How far back does it go?

:)

41 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

Now that April 2013 ISO - does that include a rollup of updates?  How far back does it go?

Any of dated iso contains only updates released in dated month - in this case only updates from April 2013. There were mostly patches for one or a few files only and cumulative update for Internet Explorer. Microsoft stopped releasing DVDs in 2016, because then they started releasing cumulative updates (a.k.a. rollups) for all supported systems.

11 hours ago, jmeno said:

Maybe it would be a good idea make backups also at http://archive.is/

As far as I could recall, archive.is doesn't support archiving of download links, only site pages. Only web archiver that could do that is the wayback machine iirc.

I updated first post:
-fixed description of one update
-added powershell 1.0 (wayback machine link)
-replaced .NET 1.l1 links with their wayback machine versions.

If there will be anything to do, it will not be me to do it - I will be away from internet for few weeks from today.