On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

44 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I was just hoping that maybe there would be some way of reading and displaying the data in the DataStore.edb file

Reading Windows Update Datastore.edb File

I was searching for a way to maybe import the datastore.edb file to an SQL Server database when I came across your question. There is a non-Microsoft sanctioned utility here that works on Windows 7 x64. The utility will allow you to export to HTML file

which, again, leads to a NirSoft product:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/ese_database_view.html

(not tested here on Vista...)

Edited by VistaLover

3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

The WinUpdatesList app, referenced previously in this thread, does provide the option (among others) to save all history in HTML format: 

Menubar -> View -> HTML Report - All Items

Thank you, that's exactly what I want!
I feel like an absolute fool now, I've had WinUpdatesList installed for ages, and I had never ever noticed that it could do that!
:blushing:

Edited by Dave-H
Amendment

• 2 weeks later...

So, did everyone finally decide on a definitive, complete list of files + links? :unsure:

I've been working on collecting things myself, but it's very slow doing it all manually. Not to mention the fact that it also needs to be done for Sever 2003 and Vista as well before time runs out... :wacko:

We nearly have it. I have it nearly all, just to update txt file, download everything and test. As for file possession, there is at leas one person in the forum that has more than me ;)

Vista and Server 2003 are out of my scope.

Are users posting in this thread certain that Microsoft permanently switched off / decommissioned the Windows Update servers for Win XP and Vista in July 2019?

I've just been directed to this thread so I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but even if this happens I believe that Win XP and Vista users rolling back their systems to an earlier date (e.g., clean reinstall, factory reset, hard drive re-image, etc.) could still patch their system back to the end of extended support using Torsten Wittrock's WSUS Offline Update tool at http://download.wsusoffline.net/.  The current ESR v9.2.5 released 04-Jun-2019 (the extended support release for Win XP and Vista) even includes emergency out-of-band security updates to patch multiple exploits discovered after the end of extended support for these legacy OSs that were never delivered via Windows Update, including patches for the June 2017 NSA-leaked exploits EnglishmanDentist, EsteemAudit and ExplodingCan (see Microsoft Security Advisory 4025685) as well as the latest May 2019 security update for the BlueKeep remote desktop services vulnerability CVE-2019-0708.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22 * Malwarebytes Free v3.5.1-1.0.365
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

8 hours ago, lmacri said:

Are users posting in this thread certain that Microsoft permanently switched off / decommissioned the Windows Update servers for Win XP and Vista in July 2019?

Rather yes, as windows update will start requiring code-signing mechanisms not supported by XP/ Vista.
Whether patches will be still available via catalog or totally disposed off, I could not find exact statement.
Maybe if we find some genius hacker to write unoficcial SHA-2 patch for XP/Vista/Server2003/server2008 we could still use those systems, but I guess Microsoft will rather implement a killshwitch on their end, some sort of {if (os.version == "XP") {connection.reject();}}

8 hours ago, lmacri said:

could still patch their system back to the end of extended support using Torsten Wittrock's WSUS Offline Update tool at http://download.wsusoffline.net/

I remember i was about to check this tool in the past, but I got it lost from my radar in the meantime...does this tool include POSREADY 2009 patches, or only pure XP patches after April 2014?
What is the update mechanism of it, does it download patches connecting to WU, or download them from catalog, or has its own patch repository?

On 7/12/2019 at 5:11 PM, Mcinwwl said:

We nearly have it. I have it nearly all, just to update txt file, download everything and test. As for file possession, there is at leas one person in the forum that has more than me ;)

Looking forward to seeing the updated list. :)

I could swear I saw a list here before somewhere that someone (heinoganda maybe? :unsure:) posted that had links for all of the POSReady 2009 updates, but now I can't seem to find it. Did this exist or am I confused?

On 7/12/2019 at 5:11 PM, Mcinwwl said:

Vista and Server 2003 are out of my scope.

Server 2003 is important because there are and/or may be more useful things in it that might eventually be backportable to XP (replacement USBPORT.SYS to go along with the 64GB RAM patch, and STORPORT.SYS are two good examples). I tend to think of Vista in the same way; it's closer to XP than Windows 7, so maybe there are useful things there. Also in the case of Vista, the fact that it has so few users now makes it even more likely that its updates will really go into the "memory hole." XP's files should survive, and Windows 7 will as well, but Vista is more "endangered." Given our group of Vista diehards here I'm surprised no one seems to have at least some kind of list.. :(

For XP x64, I made a set of updates for both languages (English and Japanese).

I have a set of updates for Vista SP2, about 255 pieces. Toward the end of Server 2008 support, I’ll compile a list of links.

List of XP updates with description and links updated with corresponding findings of @ED_Sln and @heinoganda :) Do not contain .net installers and Microsoft Security Essentials (to be found in separate topic)
@dencorso don't you think it should land at the beginning of the topic, to make the list visible?

XP Updates2.zip

Edited by Mcinwwl

I'm a bit surprised, with supposedly less than a week to go before it stops working, that they haven't put any notice on the Microsoft Update website that it's about to be pulled.
Perhaps they think no-one's using it any more anyway, although I'm sure their traffic data analysis would tell them otherwise if they bothered to look!
:lol:

13 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

List of XP updates with description and links updated

Update KB972187 SP3 is not needed, it is replaced by KB952069-v2, although it is older, but in addition to the logagent.exe file of the same version, there are wmnetmgr.dll and wmvcore.dll files.