Microsoft Edge Canary Builds For Windows 8

Jody Thornton

I decided to create a new thread for those wanting to test the portable "Blink" version of Microsoft Edge.  New portable builds of the Canary channel are being issued on the Upload.EE site, and I'm fetching those as they become available.

N-Sane Forums are supplying the update links:

https://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/341437-microsoft-edge-canary-channel-updates/

And here are the three latest releases:

https://www.upload.ee/files/9839860/MSEdgePortable_75.0.132.0.paf.exe.html

https://www.upload.ee/files/9844163/MSEdgePortable_75.0.133.0.paf.exe.html

https://www.upload.ee/files/9872797/MSEdgePortable_75.0.140.0.paf.exe.html

***** A major credit goes to user @jeff69dini for getting this going. *****

Certainly does.  And this way, the portable version gives me a clean way to install Edge.  I just extract the program folder in to Program Files and run it manually.  It creates a large \users\local folder, but that's it.  Easy to remove whenever I want.

If anyone comes up with a way to move tabs below the address bar, please let me know.  This may be a real possibility should Firefox ESR v68 not be to my liking.

On 4/28/2019 at 7:24 PM, jeff69dini said:

thanks, I was going to do the same but you beat me to it, lol....

yup running very stable, gives new life to good ole 8 eh? :P

Appears you saw me over at the MDL forum ...lol.  Good to see you  :)

OK so in terms of getting the most out of Chromium-Edge, I need to find some resources.  I tried Googling for information but it seems difficult to find.  So it appears I need to find some better Edge-related resources.  So here's what I need to find:

1. How can I set cache to use RAM only?
  2. How can I delay page-loading until the whole page has been downloaded? (akin to the nglayout.initialpaintdelay setting in Gecko)
  3. How can I set to tabs below the address bar?

There are other things I'll want to attend to, but these are the most immediate changes I want to make. If any one has any leads, chime in.

:)

I figured it reads group policy settings from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge, while Chrome reads them from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome. I haven't found policy definition files for Edge specifically, they might be released in the future, but I can confirm the registry settings for forcing/denying Incognito/InPrivate Mode and the ones for allowing/blocking Flash Player on certain sites do work.

On 5/1/2019 at 7:42 PM, Jody Thornton said:

How can I set cache to use RAM only?
How can I delay page-loading until the whole page has been downloaded? (akin to the nglayout.initialpaintdelay setting in Gecko)

I'm not aware of any ability to tweak such parameters, AFAIK there's only the stuff that you can turn on or off on edge://flags page.

On 5/1/2019 at 7:42 PM, Jody Thornton said:

How can I set to tabs below the address bar?

This would probably require the UI to be implemented differently than it is in order to have the ability to change that. It's possible in Vivaldi with CSS tweaks.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:49 AM, UCyborg said:

I figured it reads group policy settings from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge, while Chrome reads them from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome. I haven't found policy definition files for Edge specifically, they might be released in the future, but I can confirm the registry settings for forcing/denying Incognito/InPrivate Mode and the ones for allowing/blocking Flash Player on certain sites do work.

I'm not aware of any ability to tweak such parameters, AFAIK there's only the stuff that you can turn on or off on edge://flags page.

This would probably require the UI to be implemented differently than it is in order to have the ability to change that. It's possible in Vivaldi with CSS tweaks.

Yeppers.  I looked through the flags page, and nothing there.  You are supposedly able to disable cache completely either using startup parameters in the command, or by using Developer Tools, but it still seems to cache.

Seems it's still Firefox for the win.

• Jody Thornton changed the title to Microsoft Edge Canary Builds For Windows 8
  • 3 weeks later...

Back when I wrote my last post here, policy setting for InPrivate mode was still called IncognitoModeAvailability. Now it's called InPrivateModeAvailability. There's also -inprivate command line parameter that is accepted by msedge.exe, equivalent to Chromium's -incognito.

All has been quiet on the nSane forums (regarding Edge Canary Portable) since I last posted.  I fear that I'm losing interest, especially now the rumour is that Google Chrome will use Manifest v3 to restrict the effectiveness of Ad-Blocking software.

• 2 weeks later...