[Solved] Modifying Windows XP CD files? (compress to a LZX format)

FantasyAcquiesce

Branched from this topic:

My attempt of installing Windows XP on a Bay Trail-M CPU has been hampered by the ACPI.sys file. Luckily, a kind user had updated that file here

Unfortunately, I must format the file to an LZX:21 archive then change the extension to "SY_" if I want to manually include the updated file in a Windows XP installation CD...an attempt of sending a compressed folder with the extension change made the installation warn that the file was corrupt and aborted.

Does anyone know how to compress to LZX? I tried looking but found no archivers that would compress to that format...

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

It has been a long time since I did it but creating .cab files in the LZX:21 format uses makecab.exe. There is a GUI to make things easier called IExpress.exe. Both files come with XP and can be found in the \WINDOWS\system32\  folder.

Making a CAB file in the LZX:21 format may require using makecab.exe with the commandline. Someone here is bound to know.

15 minutes ago, antiproton said:

It has been a long time since I did it but creating .cab files in the LZX:21 format uses makecab.exe. There is a GUI to make things easier called IExpress.exe. Both files come with XP and can be found in the \WINDOWS\system32\  folder.

Making a CAB file in the LZX:21 format may require using makecab.exe with the commandline. Someone here is bound to know.

I just tried using makecab.exe on my XP...no compressed file :(

7 minutes ago, rloew said:

CABARC  -m  LZX:21  N  ACPI.SY_  ACPI.SYS

You've been such an outstanding help to retro computer survival! <3

Once I enter the program makecab.exe in Windows XP, is that all I have to type? What if the modified ACPI.SYS is on the desktop?

Thank you so much!

I use CABARC, not MAKECAB.

What I posted is a CLI command. If the file is on the Desktop, you either have to place a copy in your current directory, or set the Desktop folder as your current directory.

2 minutes ago, rloew said:

I use CABARC, not MAKECAB.

What I posted is a CLI command. If the file is on the Desktop, you either have to place a copy in your current directory, or set the Desktop folder as your current directory.

Could you link me to the program? Google search tells me that it's only available on Windows SP2 and earlier or something.