Chrome 74 - Glass no longer supported in title bars!

JTB3

12 hours ago, Wolfshadow said:

If I read the link info correctly, the functionality of the flag will end with chrome version 76. hopefully someone will figure out a registry hack to use like the "allow flash always on" that allows not having to shoose ecery time you need flash on a site. 

@Wolfshadow Curious - Where did you read that the flag functionality will end with Chrome v76?

8 hours ago, JTB3 said:

@Wolfshadow Curious - Where did you read that the flag functionality will end with Chrome v76?

On your link page:

5  chrome/browser/flag-metadata.json 

@@ -3179,11 +3179,6 @@

"owners": [ "//device/vr/OWNERS", "xr-dev@chromium.org" ],

"expiry_milestone": 76

},

{

"name": "windows10-custom-titlebar",

// "owners": [ "your-team" ],

"expiry_milestone": 76

As all the flags are purely experimental, they are subject to being removed at any time. They allow functionality for a time and then remove it later. Removing the /flag is easy but removing all the function code takes time. 

8 hours ago, Wolfshadow said:

As all the flags are purely experimental, they are subject to being removed at any time. They allow functionality for a time and then remove it later. Removing the /flag is easy but removing all the function code takes time. 

Thanks @Wolfshadow!  Looks like the 'writings on the wall' with this capability then.  The 'Win 8 Compatibility" method is a poor substitute.  Perhaps someone will discover another workaround...
-JT

• 4 weeks later...

The option is really gone in Chromium 76. They removed conditional check (feature toggle via command line parameter) that used to enable native caption bar. There's no hidden registry setting for it or anything like that.

11 hours ago, UCyborg said:

The option is really gone in Chromium 76. They removed conditional check (feature toggle via command line parameter) that used to enable native caption bar. There's no hidden registry setting for it or anything like that.

Thx for confirming this @UCyborg:(
Sad to hear... So much of my desktop experience is in Chrome-based browser and app windows (I'm sure this is also true for many others).
This makes me think twice now about using (and waiting months) for delayed Aero-Glass updates.
-JT 

On 6/2/2019 at 11:12 PM, JTB3 said:

Thx for confirming this @UCyborg:(
Sad to hear... So much of my desktop experience is in Chrome-based browser and app windows (I'm sure this is also true for many others).
This makes me think twice now about using (and waiting months) for delayed Aero-Glass updates.
-JT 

The \\chrome\flag has always been for experimental features and states that they can be removed at any time. This is not the fault of aeroglass. 

The work around of using chrome in compatibility win 8 mode allows for the caption bar to be changed and does not change how chrome functions as a browser. As for the boarder issue, winaero tweaker has been a solid and stable program for many years and has the ability to control many of the metrics of the windows. Would it be nice if there was a registry fix that permanently addressed this like the fix for allowing flash to be remembered? Certainly, but it appears that it cannot.

We who use Aero-glass are those who want to have some control of how our desktop environment looks, which is bucking the 'norm' of simply accepting windows as Microsoft has envisioned it for us. Patience and waiting has always been a part of it. @Bigmuscle works on Aero-glass when he has spare time to work on it, it is not his 'bread and butter'. If coding a program like Aero-glass was easy then there would be others doing it also. 

If anyone's interested, Vivaldi is one of the more interesting Chromium based browsers and has the option to enable native title bar (Use Native Window under Appearance in Tools->Settings). It doesn't put tabs on it in that mode.

On 6/9/2019 at 6:38 AM, Wolfshadow said:

The \\chrome\flag has always been for experimental features and states that they can be removed at any time. This is not the fault of aeroglass. 

The work around of using chrome in compatibility win 8 mode allows for the caption bar to be changed and does not change how chrome functions as a browser. As for the boarder issue, winaero tweaker has been a solid and stable program for many years and has the ability to control many of the metrics of the windows. Would it be nice if there was a registry fix that permanently addressed this like the fix for allowing flash to be remembered? Certainly, but it appears that it cannot.

Can anyone summarize the 'negative' side-effects of using 'Win 8' compatibility mode with Chrome / AeroGlass.  I for one, noticed significantly slower page reloads and new tab/window creation.  What other side-effects have been observed?  Thx!

On 6/11/2019 at 11:28 AM, UCyborg said:

I checked the code, they just changed the command line parameter for disabling custom title bar. The correct parameter in newer Chromium browsers is -disable-windows10-custom-titlebar The decision is made in chrome/browser/win/titlebar_config.cc.

@UCyborg Is this good news?  Does it mean that the 'disable-windows10-custom-titlebar' parameter/feature will still be available in Chrome 76? (and beyond?)

21 minutes ago, JTB3 said:

@UCyborg Is this good news?  Does it mean that the 'disable-windows10-custom-titlebar' parameter/feature will still be available in Chrome 76? (and beyond?)

@UCyborg  In which Chrome version does this new parameter/switch go into effect?  I just tested it in Chrome 75 and it doesn't work.  Perhaps Chrome 76?

22 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

The old parameter still applies to Chrome 75, the new one applies to Chrome 76. I guess only time will tell about the future versions.

Thanks!  Another breath for Aero Glass on Chrome! :cool:

• 1 month later...

On 4/24/2019 at 3:35 PM, UCyborg said:

The workaround relies on the codepaths still in place for Windows 7/8.x. When the support for those systems is dropped, they'll probably dump that code as well...

Simply add the following to the end of the target for your chrome shortcut:

--disable-features=Windows10CustomTitlebar

This works for both Chrome and open as window only shortcuts.

2019-07-17 20 12 59.jpg

Edited by Nutrynion