Chrome 74 - Glass no longer supported in title bars!

JTB3

On 6/11/2019 at 8:28 PM, UCyborg said:

I checked the code, they just changed the command line parameter for disabling custom title bar. The correct parameter in newer Chromium browsers is -disable-windows10-custom-titlebar The decision is made in chrome/browser/win/titlebar_config.cc.

Yep, I just updated to Version 76.0.3809.87 (Official Build) (64-bit) and adding -disable-windows10-custom-titlebar to my shortcut fixed it.

For anyone that's using AeroGlass with Chrome Browser (v76+) configured to startup with windows and run in the background, you've probably noticed that the command line switch --disable-windows10-custom-titlebar is NOT remembered at startup time.  Unfortunately, if you manually edit the ChromeAutoLaunch registry key, it will get overwritten every time Chrome exits.

To address this issue, I created a simple AutoHotkey script that is run 'on login' as a Scheduled Task that automatically adds the necessary startup switch to the required 'ChromeAutoLaunch...' registry key (which has a custom suffix for different users).  I also added a 2nd useful switch --save-page-as-mhtml as well.

For the benefit of the AeroGlass community, I've attached the complied script and source code in a Zip file.
Installation Instructions:  1) Create directory:  C:\System\Scripts  2) Copy ChromeAutoLaunch.exe into this directory  3) Open Windows 'Task Scheduler' and import and save the ChromeAutoLaunch.xml task file.

The scheduled task will run both at startup and every time the registered user logs in and will insert the switch(s) into the reg key before chrome starts.  If one manually exits Chrome, the shortcut used to relaunch (as mentioned previously) must also contain the additional startup switch(s).

Feel free the edit the code (+task) and recompile it if you would like to customize either the script directory or the switches to be inserted.
Cheers, -JT :cool:

ChromeAutoLaunch_AHK.zip

Edited by JTB3
Typo

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 1:31 PM, JTB3 said:

For anyone that's using AeroGlass with Chrome Browser (v76+) configured to startup with windows and run in the background, you've probably noticed that the command line switch --disable-windows10-custom-titlebar is NOT remembered at startup time.  Unfortunately, if you manually edit the ChromeAutoLaunch registry key, it will get overwritten every time Chrome exits.

To address this issue, I created a simple AutoHotkey script that is run 'on login' as a Scheduled Task that automatically adds the necessary startup switch to the required 'ChromeAutoLaunch...' registry key (which has a custom suffix for different users).  I also added a 2nd useful switch --save-page-as-mhtml as well.

For the benefit of the AeroGlass community, I've attached the complied script and source code in a Zip file.
Installation Instructions:  1) Create directory:  C:\System\Scripts  2) Copy ChromeAutoLaunch.exe into this directory  3) Open Windows 'Task Scheduler' and import and save the ChromeAutoLaunch.xml task file.

The scheduled task will run both at startup and every time the registered user logs in and will insert the switch(s) into the reg key before chrome starts.  If one manually exits Chrome, the shortcut used to relaunch (as mentioned previously) must also contain the additional startup switch(s).

Feel free the edit the code (+task) and recompile it if you would like to customize either the script directory or the switches to be inserted.

ChromeAutoLaunch_AHK.zip 434.23 kB · 19 downloads

Big thanks to you on this. I got it to work again for a bit now it wont work again :(

Edited by gitit20
stopped working

ChromeAutoLaunch_AHK.zip 434.23 kB · 46 downloads

I am not sure if I am missing something or have done this wrong but I have tried this a few times and am not able to get it to function. Is there something I am missing?

I see 4 files in the folder. One if the app for launch other is the script and the 3rd one is the icon and the last file I am not sure what to do with? does it all need to go into the same created directory as the EXE file? 

Sorry if I am sounding dumb I just cant get this to work lol I have also imported the task and can confirm its there in the list. 

I am on Chrome 76 with 1903 Windows  

I also notched you said to make the scripts 2 directory but in the script it says just scripts. I have tried both folder ways and no luck lol  

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>

-<Task xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task" version="1.4">

-<RegistrationInfo>

<Description>Inserts switch: --disable-windows10-custom-titlebar Into Registry Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Value Modified: GoogleChromeAutoLaunch...</Description>

<URI>\ChromeAutoLaunch</URI>

</RegistrationInfo>

-<Triggers>

-<BootTrigger>

<Enabled>true</Enabled>

</BootTrigger>

-<LogonTrigger>

<Enabled>true</Enabled>

</LogonTrigger>

</Triggers>

-<Principals>

<Principal id="Author"> </Principal>

</Principals>

-<Settings>

<MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy>

<DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>false</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>

<StopIfGoingOnBatteries>true</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>

<AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate>

<StartWhenAvailable>true</StartWhenAvailable>

<RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>

-<IdleSettings>

<StopOnIdleEnd>true</StopOnIdleEnd>

<RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle>

</IdleSettings>

<AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand>

<Enabled>true</Enabled>

<Hidden>false</Hidden>

<RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle>

<DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>false</DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>

<UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>true</UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>

<WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun>

<ExecutionTimeLimit>PT1M</ExecutionTimeLimit>

<Priority>7</Priority>

</Settings>

-<Actions Context="Author">

-<Exec>

<Command>C:\System\Scripts\ChromeAutoLaunch.exe</Command>

</Exec>

</Actions>

</Task>

Edited by gitit20
Missing info

On 8/8/2019 at 10:28 PM, gitit20 said:

Big thanks to you on this. I got it to work again for a bit now it wont work again :(

@gitit20, In the 'ChromeAutoLaunch' task scheduler profile, check that the 'Run with highest privileges' security option is checked and that the profile is indeed being run from your Windows user account.  Also double check that the .exe is indeed located in the 'C:\System\Scripts' directory.

1 hour ago, gitit20 said:

I am not sure if I am missing something or have done this wrong but I have tried this a few times and am not able to get it to function. Is there something I am missing?

I see 4 files in the folder. One if the app for launch other is the script and the 3rd one is the icon and the last file I am not sure what to do with? does it all need to go into the same created directory as the EXE file? 

Sorry if I am sounding dumb I just cant get this to work lol I have also imported the task and can confirm its there in the list. I am on Chrome 76 with 1903 Windows  I also notched you said to make the scripts 2 directory but in the script it says just scripts. I have tried both folder ways and no luck lol  

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>

-<Task xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task" version="1.4">

-<RegistrationInfo>

<Description>Inserts switch: --disable-windows10-custom-titlebar Into Registry Key:

@gitit20, The last file is the .XML/task profile to be imported into the Windows Task Scheduler.  Nothing else needs to accompany the .exe file. After importing the 'ChromeAutoLaunch' task scheduler profile, check that the 'Run with highest privileges' security option is also checked and that the profile is indeed being run from your Windows user account.  Also double check that the .exe has been copied to the 'C:\System\Scripts' directory and that this matches the ChromeAutoLaunch.exe location in the Task Scheduler.  The icon file is only needed if one edits and then re-compiles the script.

Hope this helps.  Everything works flawlessly on all of my PCs
-JT

ChromeAutoLaunch_AHK.zip 434.23 kB · 46 downloads

Thanks for the work you put into this @JTB3!  I delayed updating Chrome so I'm a bit behind you guys on this.  I'd like to try out this method, but it seems the zip file you uploaded with the task, etc., is no longer available.  Could you please re-upload it so I can give it a try?  Thanks a lot!

2 hours ago, AdamW said:

Thanks for the work you put into this @JTB3!  I delayed updating Chrome so I'm a bit behind you guys on this.  I'd like to try out this method, but it seems the zip file you uploaded with the task, etc., is no longer available.  Could you please re-upload it so I can give it a try?  Thanks a lot!

Nevermind... must've been because I was using public wifi.  Ran it through a VPN and no troubles downloading it.  Now I'll have to try installing it.

10 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Nevermind... must've been because I was using public wifi.  Ran it through a VPN and no troubles downloading it.  Now I'll have to try installing it.

Great @AdamW!  Hope it all installs smoothly for you...  -JT

Well, I followed your directions to the t, including the whole "highest priority" thing.  It didn't work for me in terms of closing my currently open Chrome windows and restarting them.  Maybe it wasn't intended to though, maybe your script is only intended to work for when the computer restarts and when chrome autostarts itself, or something like that.  So, I closed it down again and added @Pjertan's bit to it:

On 7/31/2019 at 7:55 AM, Pjertan said:

Yep, I just updated to Version 76.0.3809.87 (Official Build) (64-bit) and adding -disable-windows10-custom-titlebar to my shortcut fixed it.

That worked when I restarted it myself (from my own shortcut that I re-added to the task bar).

UNFORTUNATELY FOR ME (my fault), I lost ALL my tabs from all my other windows that were open.  I had literally hundreds of tabs that I was "going to get to later"... but now they're all closed.  That's quite disappointing.  I would've thought Chrome would keep them in the "recently closed" menu even if it was from two "close windows" and restarts prior.  Clearly I was wrong.  :-(   Well, I suppose that's one way of clearing up having too many tabs open.  Ah well.

1 minute ago, AdamW said:

Well, I followed your directions to the t, including the whole "highest priority" thing.  It didn't work for me in terms of closing my currently open Chrome windows and restarting them.  Maybe it wasn't intended to though, maybe your script is only intended to work for when the computer restarts and when chrome autostarts itself, or something like that.  So, I closed it down again and added @Pjertan's bit to it:

That worked when I restarted it myself (from my own shortcut that I re-added to the task bar).

UNFORTUNATELY FOR ME (my fault), I lost ALL my tabs from all my other windows that were open.  I had literally hundreds of tabs that I was "going to get to later"... but now they're all closed.  That's quite disappointing.  I would've thought Chrome would keep them in the "recently closed" menu even if it was from two "close windows" and restarts prior.  Clearly I was wrong.  :-(   Well, I suppose that's one way of clearing up having too many tabs open.  Ah well.

Yes, the script only gets run 'on logon', just before Chrome auto starts.  If one manually exits Chrome, the shortcut used to relaunch (as mentioned previously) must also contain the additional startup switch(s).   As far as your closed tabs are concerned, I recommend the awesome 'session buddy' Chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/session-buddy/edacconmaakjimmfgnblocblbcdcpbko
:cool:

I applied that flag to both my profile shortcuts for Chromium Edge and, even after restart, it starts up fine with the flag and blur in-tact. I didn't have to do anything in Task Scheduler. All I did was add the flag in the shortcut.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 11:56 AM, raiden89 said:

I applied that flag to both my profile shortcuts for Chromium Edge and, even after restart, it starts up fine with the flag and blur in-tact. I didn't have to do anything in Task Scheduler. All I did was add the flag in the shortcut.

I cant get mine to work at all on chrome nata nothing :(

14 hours ago, gitit20 said:

I cant get mine to work at all on chrome nata nothing :(

Don't know if it's your case but supported somebody yesterday to fix that and modded shortcut still worked fine since I disabled custom Chrome theme back to default. Otherwise it doesn't .