[Solved] Missing email client in the Start Menu.

Sampei.Nihira

17 hours ago, VistaLover said:

You've set it as default via the app itself ; probably a long shot, but have you tried using the OS for this setting?

https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=170#xp

Do you still have Thunderbird 52.9.1 installed?

Yes, I still have Thunderbird 52.9.1 installed. and I'm not going to uninstall it.:yes:

Before opening this 3D I also verified that.

I had not inserted it as an image because the writings are in Italian and .........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

2vU1JPkT_o.jpg

MailNews, although not mentioned, is certainly the default e-mail client.

As you see the selected setting says:

"Use the current e-mail program".

It's not Thunderbird, it's not Outlook, so it's necessarily Interlink MailNews.

Is there anyone who could install Interlink MailNews not forked and check if it creates registry keys?

http://binaryoutcast.com/projects/interlink/

TH.

@VistaLover

....Matt A. Tobin has created the official Interlink e-mail client to target Win7+, so he may have deliberately removed the function to place registry entries under the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail" registry folder (as this is a WinXP/WinVista requirement......

Registry keys of Email clients are also present in OS Vista+:

7SNNOj04_o.jpg

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

I tried Roy's MailNews fork on my XP SP3 install and registered it as default by checking all checkboxes in its System Integration dialog and it did appear under E-mail in Start Menu afterwards.

7 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

I tried Roy's MailNews fork on my XP SP3 install and registered it as default by checking all checkboxes in its System Integration dialog and it did appear under E-mail in Start Menu afterwards.

Wow.

I wonder why you yes and I am not.

Is Thunderbird 52.9.1 installed on your PC?

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

No, having Thunderbird installed and registered shouldn't prevent MailNews from successfully registering itself. Something else must be off.

Edited by UCyborg

3 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Registry keys of Email clients are also present in OS Vista+:

... Of course they are! But I was referring to the "\Capabilities\StartMenu" subkeys as displayed in my previous post :)

https://msfn.org/board/topic/178355-missing-email-client-in-the-start-menu/?do=findComment&comment=1162776

Does "Mozilla Thunderbird" have such a StartMenu subkey even on Windows 10? :dubbio:

4 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

I had not inserted it as an image because the writings are in Italian

Not to worry; apart from English (and, of course, Greek :P), I also speak (but not write well) French and my late father (God rest his soul) had studied in Torino; lots of Italian books exist in the family library, as a young kid I used to open and try to read them; I can now understand quite well written Italian (it has evolved from ancient Latin, of course, a common root shared between modern French, Spanish, Portuguese and, to a lesser degree, English...); but I'm certainly going off-topic with this... Saluti :D

31 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... Of course they are! But I was referring to the "\Capabilities\StartMenu" subkeys as displayed in my previous post :)

https://msfn.org/board/topic/178355-missing-email-client-in-the-start-menu/?do=findComment&comment=1162776

Does "Mozilla Thunderbird" have such a StartMenu subkey even on Windows 10? :dubbio:

Not to worry; apart from English (and, of course, Greek :P), I also speak (but not write well) French and my late father (God rest his soul) had studied in Torino; lots of Italian books exist in the family library, as a young kid I used to open and try to read them; I can now understand quite well written Italian (it has evolved from ancient Latin, of course, a common root shared between modern French, Spanish, Portuguese and, to a lesser degree, English...); but I'm certainly going off-topic with this... Saluti :D

Yes:

xu5yAc4Z_o.jpg

I have been 3 times as a tourist in his beautiful Country.:thumbup

But I only know 2/3 words in Greek.:unsure:

Kalispéra.

I solved the problem.:thumbup:thumbup.

As browsers I start email programs with limited rights.

Setting the default e-mail client succeeds from limited account or with limited rights but evidently without writing the respective registry keys.

Performed all by administrative privileges, successfully:

rFx2F7kh_o.jpgh5ADXv9N_o.jpg

:cheerleader::D

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

Great! I was just looking into it. It's like this; you don't normally need admin rights to choose a default email client for your own account, but a prerequisite is that the email client has been registered on the system (which does require admin rights). Usually, that's the installer's job. After that, anyone can pick their favorite.

So in your case, the client had to register itself on the system first (which failed due to lack of permissions) since the installer wasn't involved to do it.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

since the installer wasn't involved to do it.

... and all of this closes a circle "I" started in my first post in this thread:

On 4/23/2019 at 5:56 AM, VistaLover said:

Your issue is most probably caused by the fact @roytam1's MailNews fork is being distributed as a .7z package and not as an installer ;) ; an installer is needed to write the necessary registry keys so that Interlink/MailNews appears as one of the available installed mail clients

Not to toot my own horn, but... :P

@VistaLover
True, but there are always some extra details involved and one might see inconsistencies from one time to another due to certain usage patterns. It's possible to run the Thunderbird's installer with limited rights, in which case the program will be installed for the current account only and won't be registered.

Although I myself solved the problem, I would like to thank all the MSFN members who expressed their ideas in this 3D.
Each proposed solution has contributed to the final resolution, if only to eliminate any possible alternative.:hello:

• 3 months later...
On 4/26/2019 at 10:39 AM, VistaLover said:

Interesting! You're multilingual!

I'm not a linguist by any means, but I self-learned some of these interesting tidbits while taking a Spanish class, so if I may, I'd like to expand on and clarify your information a bit:

English is, as you seem to imply, actually a Germanic language, which means it has common roots shared by German and Dutch (similar grammar and syntax). However, the language was heavily influenced by French and, by extension, Latin, due to the Nordic Conquest of England during the Middle Ages (around the 10th-11th centuries), primarily in the form of new words and phrases. So, as a result of this, modern English could be thought of as a sort of hybrid, because it has characteristics of both language families.

OK, back on topic now!

c